WineBoard
Complete Newbie looking for all-around good wines. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Complete Newbie looking for all-around good wines. (/thread-23184.html)

Complete Newbie looking for all-around good wines. - Whiskylover - 09-11-2015

As my name states, I'm a whisky (scotch) drinker. I can drink all hard liquor but keep only whisky's and brandies in my cabinet. I get a visceral reaction to drinking beer or wine (both red and white). Therefore I have no taste for (and unable to understand/appreciate) wine.

I would like to have a few red and white wines for when I have people over for a small gathering to relax and chat; no special occasion. I know tastes differ but there are generally a few bottles (of scotch) that are appealing to many palates and can be appreciated by all.

Though I could easily spend 60-150 for a single malt scotch, I would also like to keep the price capped at $30 (or below) because I rarely have company over. Therefore, the wine could spoil before it's even opened (unlike whisky which seems to keep forever). I went on a whole bunch of sites to see what are good all-around wines to have stocked up and compiled this list:

California Zinfandel
- Old Vine Zinfandel
- Heritage Vines Zinfandel
- Lodi Zinfandel

Italian Chianti
- Castiglioni Chianti
- Ruffino Chianti

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
- Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Italian Prosecco
- Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Frizzante

Merlot
- Blackstone Winery Merlot
- Pepperwood Grove-California Merlot
- Columbia Valley Merlot

Chardonay
- Sonoma County Chardonnay
- Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay

From what I've read (and knowing nothing about wine), it appears that even some of these names are just names (zinfandels) and whomever the bottler is may have a different flavor to their own bottles. I don't know if any of these are good and/or if you might recommend a few worth having around. It doesn't have to be limited to this category/grouping. And again, I don't want to waste money on wine (when it will likely go bad before the bottle is even opened).

Thanks!

RE: Complete Newbie looking for all-around good wines. - Innkeeper - 09-12-2015

Welcome to the Wine Board Whiskylover. Can't argue with anything on your list. For the future, get your ideas from the threads on this board of the wines you like best. Cheers.

RE: Complete Newbie looking for all-around good wines. - Whiskylover - 09-12-2015

[quote='Innkeeper' pid='107041' dateline='1442070531']
For the future, get your ideas from the threads on this board of the wines you like best. Cheers.
[/quote]

The thing is, I can't drink wine (allergic) so I don't know what is good or not, so this is for when I have friends over only. From what I've been reading online, (including on this forum), Pinot Noir, German Riesling, Pinot Grigio seem to be the 3 categories that are the most versatile. However within this category, there are many different bottlers/distillers to try from.

I'll use single malt scotch for example. You have the various types/styles/regions (islays, speysides, highlands, lowlands, islands, etc). Within these "groups" you have different distilleries which provide a wide variety of flavors, notes and accents (despite being within the same category. The only way I developed a taste of what is a good drinking whisky that anyone can appreciate (regardless of their personal preference) is from tasting it myself (as you would do with any alcohol). I have many single malts from all of the regions (despite my personal preference for Speyside/Highlands) because I have tasted all the regions and the various distillers. Now to throw a wrench in the works, a distiller may have the same bottle which taste different depending on the batch (not difference in year (e.g. Aberlour).

So, knowing how complex scotch can be, I would hazard a guess that wines can be the same way. I have a few single malt scotches that are a "generic staple" that will be liked by just about any drinker (with and without food). I'm trying to do the same with a few wines. So, from this, are there a few specific wines (red and white) you would have that you feel anyone and everyone (who CAN drink wine) would like? For example, with scotch, I like to keep a few "staple" whiskys: Balvenie 12 year doublewood and Glenrothes Select Reserve (Speyside), Glenmorangie 12 or Lasanta and Dalmore 12year (Highland). These are specific bottles from the a few distilleries and regions which are appreciated (doesn't have to first pick preference) by pretty much all whisky lovers.

So, since I can't drink wine, the best place to go for "good intel" would be forums where people drink (and appreciate) wine on a regular basis. Independent online articles give a few individual preferences but there is no "discussion" where I have a good idea of what is likely to be the best bottles to buy.

The names I have listed above are just a collection of what I have thusfar been able to gather but if I were to get two of each (red and white), which specific bottles would be recommended?

Thanks

RE: Complete Newbie looking for all-around good wines. - Whiskylover - 09-14-2015

So this is what I'll be buying:

==WHITE==

Riesling: 2012 Domaine Zind-Humbrecht Riesling

Pinot Grigio: 2014 Abbazia di Novacella Pinot Grigio

==RED==

Merlot: Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot 2012

Zinfandel: Bradford Mountain - Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley 2012

Unless anyone has other recommendation(s)

This is what I found would be the "optimal" red and white wines that I can get a hold of.

RE: Complete Newbie looking for all-around good wines. - Innkeeper - 09-15-2015

Looks fine to me.