WineBoard
IK...KC...Sumbodi!!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: IK...KC...Sumbodi!!!! (/thread-22338.html)

- winoweenie - 06-18-2012

This needs to be renamed the " Wine Spammers Board". Gets worse weekly. WW

- Kcwhippet - 06-18-2012

The "Sumbodi" you're looking for should be the System Administrator. Who is it? Where is he/she? Obviously, the SysAdmin position isn't full time, but apparently an occasional visit because these spam attacks should be taken care of very quickly, rather than days later.

+1. WW

- Thomas - 06-18-2012

I've about had it--again.

No fun coming here when you have to wade through crap, and I don't like that I must click on a thread and read it in order to remove the green light!

- Innkeeper - 06-18-2012

Jackie, Alex, or whoever. The board needs some antispam device. Here is what I have found out, and it makes no sense at all. If I try to delete a spam posting and it is the last post, the entire tread goes away. If I add another posting under the spam, I can delete just the spam. Then I can delete my own post without losing the whole tread. As you can imagine this takes a lot of time, and it is time I don't always have or like to spend, when nobody is doing anything to stop the spam.

Totally agree there Thomasso! Looks like it's time to take my ball and forget this game. WW

- team - 06-18-2012

Yes! You are all right about this. It's high time this be stopped. OK... So, I finally figured out a way to get into the back end of the system. This is not the same system we were using before Alex's group took over and re-programmed the board a couple of years ago, so I don't have as much control as I used to..... BUT

I was able today to make "team" a super-moderator. If you would like to be part of "team" and keep an eye out, just email me and I will give you personally all the instructions and info you need to delete spam whereever it arises. If you also email me with the offending username, I will banish it from the system.

I hope this starts to help... and soon we may be spam-free. I hope.

I'm sorry this has gone on so long. I'll do my best to stop it now.

Jackie

- Innkeeper - 06-19-2012

Many thanks Jackie,

Exhousted!

- Thomas - 06-19-2012

Jackie,

Maybe it's time to make this a "real names only" site. Most other forums have gone that way, forcing people to register before participating, and checking their email information before they can post.

It seems spammers have inundated the forum sites, not just this one. But this one appears the easiest for them to spam.

- winoweenie - 06-19-2012

Makes sense to me. WW +1

- Kcwhippet - 06-19-2012

+2 ---- This is the only site I'm on that isn't a "real name" site.

- Innkeeper - 06-19-2012

Ours is not the only forum with problems. Robin's board now requires newcomers to email him before they can register.

- Jackie - 06-20-2012

Hmmm. Have to think about "real names". I don't know what would prevent someone from using a dummy name and registering. As it is, when you register for the wineboard, the program sends a message to your email with a link and password. At least that's how I recall it working. So what is to prevent a spammer from signing up with a fake first and last name? I don't get the point of "real names". Can you enlighten me please?

I see what Robin is doing. That does stop spammers but it may also stop a lot of other folks from joining in. It's a tradeoff, I think.

But we can consider this if we not able to control spammers by other means (see my message in the Talk To Your Moderators Forum about "team" and stopping spammers).

Thanks,

Jackie