WineBoard
1985 Campo Delle Piane Boca - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 1985 Campo Delle Piane Boca (/thread-22201.html)

- Kcwhippet - 03-04-2012

The winemaker was in the shop a few months ago and tasted us on a 9 vintage vertical of this wine starting with the 2005 down to the 1985. The 05 is the current released vintage. This is a Northern Piedmont Nebbiolo the winemaker keeps in barrel for at least 24 months, then in bottle for up to 5 years before release. There were only 6 bottles released of the 1985 in MA and I got 2 of them. We have the 2001 on the shelf in the shop. I spoke with the winemaker (he's a dead ringer for Eric Clapton) and he suggested the wine would pair very well with a sauteed veal in a light tomato sauce. So, I have to come up with a good dinner to serve this with. Then I'll post a tasting note. Oh, when we tasted the 85, it had some mixed up sediment but it was was bright and vibrant with very typical Nebbiolo characteristics. BTW, not cheap - retail is $60, and my employee price was $41.80!

- winoweenie - 03-04-2012

That small an employee discount keeps your nose to the grindstone???? I'da thunk it was a min of 50% and prob closer to 75%. WW :-D

- Thomas - 03-04-2012

Those Boca wines are as rare as any wine can be, and when they are good, they are spectacular.

- Kcwhippet - 03-04-2012

Well, the taste I had when they came in was as close to spectacular as you can get for a Nebbiolo that old. I guess I'll find out for sure when I open one of them. The distributor really likes me, for some reason, and let me have 1/3 of the entire state's allocation. For my birthday she gave me an Italian Cab Franc that I later found retails for $65. Last year she got me a bottle of grappa that's not sold here from one of my favorite wineries.

- winoweenie - 03-05-2012

BAD BOY!!!!!! I'm telling Judy. WW

- Kcwhippet - 03-05-2012

C'mon, Verne, you know Jude is all the woman I can handle - and the only one I want to.

- winoweenie - 03-05-2012

Jes' Joshin' noble fren! WW

- TheEngineer - 03-06-2012

KC, You know I love that stuff!!! are you saying that there are still some left in MA???

- Kcwhippet - 03-06-2012

Probably not any of the 85, but we have the 01 on the shelf. I do have 2 of the 85, and it may be possible to part with one - for the right incentive. I will check on the 85 for you.

- Thomas - 03-07-2012

Hmmm. A reason to live in Massachusetts... ;-)

- TheEngineer - 03-13-2012

hahahahahahhah.......bottles are mobile Thomas!!!

- Kcwhippet - 03-13-2012

Pretty sure I can get some 85, because there's more here than I thought. Can also get the 89 Boca, which was also spectacular.

- Kcwhippet - 03-13-2012

Pretty sure I can get some 85, because there's more here than I thought. Can also get the 89 Boca, which was also spectacular.

- TheEngineer - 03-13-2012

I'll be seeing you at the store in a few weeks when my travesl settle down! Smile