WineBoard
Jack Daniels Black, Single Barrel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cognac, Armagnac & Brandy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: Jack Daniels Black, Single Barrel (/thread-22146.html)

- hotwine - 12-28-2011

Was introduced to this by the host of a Christmas party in early December.... was pouring wines to pair with smoked beef tenderloin (all lesser Bordeaux) when he offered this as a pre-dinner libation. Was immediately struck by its clean unaltered profile on the nose and palate, completely unlike a blended whisky.

Had enjoyed JD Black for some time years ago (was my first drink on home soil while waiting at SeaTac for the flight home in Nov '68, newly out of the weeds of 'Nam; three hours and half a bottle later, needed the help of a kindly stew to even find the boarding gate). Over the years, taste had moved on to Irish whiskies (Jameson's, Tullamore Dew, Bushmill's) before allowing wines, in the background since '62, to assume a more prominent place at the table for their food-friendliness. Now in my dotage, have rediscovered the joys of quality whisky.

Bought a bottle last week and took to share with son-in-law in celebrating the arrival last week of his son, my grandson. We both thoroughly enjoyed it! So I left the bottle with him and picked up another today. It's 94 proof and about $40 per, worth every penny. Highly recommend it.

It goes down too easily.... off to get another.

- andrawes76 - 12-29-2011

Congratulations Hotwine on the newborn grandson! I look forward to learning more about single malts and various other higher octane fluids. I've just been very satisfied with beer and wine at this point. But the urge to learn is itching... ;-)

Merry Christmas, Happy 2012!

- hotwine - 12-29-2011

Thanks and same at you.

Took son-in-law a surprise Christmas gift, a bottle of 10 y/o Glen Moray single malt single cask from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, 119 proof. He was still jumping up and down when I left...

- Drew - 12-30-2011

Congrats, Pop Pop, I'll hoist one to you tonight! BTW, the last time I drank Jack Daniels, years and years ago, I ended up in the hospital with a concussion after tubing down the Gunpowder river in Maryland.....(It's a long story). Never again has Jack touched these lips!

Drew

- hotwine - 12-30-2011

Thanks, Drew. Yeah, JD does tend to bring out the dumbarse in us. Now, I sip the single barrel with a splash of branch water, instead of taking anything straight. Can't tell if it's cured the dumbarseness, maybe just slowed it down.

Dunno what name the grandson will know me by.... hope it's not Grandpa Dum-Dum.

- Innkeeper - 12-30-2011

Hi, just got here; is this the Tennessee Mash board?

- hotwine - 12-30-2011

We're making it the "high-end spirits board" for now.

- bill@wines.com - 12-31-2011

I can't agree more on the JD Black. I got turned on to the Maker's 46 a few years back and have kept a little spot in my heart for single barrel bourbons/ whiskey's. I wish the price was a little bit more in line with my budget though, I have a hard enough time justifying my spending habits on wine!

Happy New Years to you all,

Bill Elsey with Wines.com