WineBoard
What's up with my Aussie bottles? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: What's up with my Aussie bottles? (/thread-22061.html)

- Glass_A_Day - 11-26-2011

Hey all. Long time! So, been on a just drink it phase of late. Going through my Australian stuff. Started at 2000 and am on my way through 02. All supposed 97-99 pointers from lord Parker. All bought at release and stored at 55. Well, 90+% of them have been flops. Gone by, weak, whatever you want to call it. It's been a long time since I took the work of Mr. Parker or anyone else other than my own pallet and I'm glad I made the switch. These were all wines described as having tons of holding power. Not. Anyways, what do you all think? The nature of Shiraz to be better young? The latest disappointment was an 01 d'Arenberg The Dead Arm . Just gone and done. E&E Black Pepper Shiraz was a little better but didn't last long before quitting on the second glass. Mitolo GAM which is always great young was gone by too. Not bad, just not much there. Makes me wonder what I was doing paying to keep em cool.........

- winoweenie - 11-26-2011

__Welcome back GAD.Had this problem long ago with the exception of the Grange and 707 so did what you're doing now. Most of my Dingo Dandies are put at the front of the cellar where I can grab them suckers and put them to rest. Still I find they do a fine job for early drinking. You still working the tasting room? Don't be a stranger so long again Bubba! WW

- Glass_A_Day - 11-26-2011

Thanks Verne. I was starting to question my pallet. The debate in my head was whether Aussies didn't age well or if I just preferred younger wine these days. I thought it was the former, and am glad you confirmed. As far as the wine room, I backed off a while back. Too many other irons in the fire. Just keeping the cheap stuff in the basement and the good stuff in two wine coolers I have. Thanks for the return welcome. Will keep in touch..... :-D

- hotwine - 11-26-2011

Welcome back, GAD ole bean!

This place needs help, as you'll notice. Not quite on life support, but close.

- Innkeeper - 11-26-2011

For me that goes double.

- Glass_A_Day - 12-01-2011

Thanks guys! Haven't been prospecting in a while. Just drinking what I know and what's easy with all of life's other vices emptying my wallet. Will post as I tear through some bottles over the holidays though...

PS: Haven't been getting email updates when I'm subscribed to a thread. Most forums have a user cp where you can set your preferences and I always have it set to send notifications. This is the only one of 20 forums I'm on that I can't find that setting...

- andrawes76 - 12-01-2011

Hi GAD, thats a very good suggestion. I'll have the team look that over. Thanks, Alex

- Glass_A_Day - 12-01-2011

I thought it used to be there with the old software, but maybe I'm confused. It's just nice to get updates via email if anyone replies to a thread you posted or from one you participated in. Usually, the choices in the user CP are instant email notification which has the board send an email as soon as a thread you are involved in is updated, daily notification where you get one email a day letting you know all of the threads that have been active since the day prior, and no notification. Then generally, you can opt out of any of your subscriptions in your user CP if you no longer wish to get updates about that particular thread. Anyways, enough computer talk. Time for wine..... :-D