WineBoard
Bonjour from Paris - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Bonjour from Paris (/thread-21167.html)

- Bucko - 10-03-2002

I'm sitting in an internet cafe in the Louvre. Life has been a living hell of one plate of stunning food after another, following by bottles of stunning wine, all at reasonable prices. Please, stop the torture -- someone rescue me. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

If the rain stays away for a few more days, the harvest should be good here. It has been warm and dry for the last two weeks.

Home Saturday,

Bucko

[This message has been edited by Bucko (edited 10-03-2002).]

- winoweenie - 10-03-2002

The sacrifices one makes to keep international money markets in balance. Velchome home Buckster. WW

- hotwine - 10-03-2002

"I'm sitting in an internet cafe in the Louvre. " What an image!

- joeyz6 - 10-03-2002

Hey Bucko,
Sounds like you have had a pretty cool trip. By the way, what stops did you hit in the Loire?
-Joe

- Innkeeper - 10-03-2002

Hey Joe!
Glad you got settled over there. Would you mind if we asked what you are up to over there.
In Vino Veritas.................Carl

- Bucko - 10-06-2002

Well, I just got home late last night. This was more of a sight-seeing trip than for wine, visiting the Normandy beaches, Loire castles, endless Paris sites, etc.

However, I managed to sneak in a couple of highlights for wine in the Loire -- Huet and Champalou. Stunning wines and lots of old stuff available at the winery for very good prices, i.e. 1985 Huet Moelleux for $22!

Good to be back in the USA though.....

- winoweenie - 10-07-2002

Welcome Home Buck-snort. ( blush ). We missed you. WW

- joeyz6 - 10-10-2002

Just saw your post, IK. Well, I am living in a little town called Vineuil, as you can see. It's just south of Blois, which in turn is in between Orléans and Tours. I'm teaching English to middle school students over here. And working on my French, of course.

- joeyz6 - 10-10-2002

By the way, I will post on wines I find here, as promised. I've already discovered a couple 5-euro winners. It's amazing how low the prices are. The French feel that for 5 euros they should be getting a 'good' wine, and for 10 euros, an 'excellent' wine. This according to a French friend of mine here.

- Innkeeper - 10-10-2002

Sounds like a great setup. Actually hauled through that region once upon a time. When station at Toul-Rossieres (Northwest of Nancy) had to pick up our car at St. Nazaire. Drove back through Nantes, Tours, Blois, Orleans, and on up to the Northeast; stopping frequently for a sandwich jambon or sandwich pate and appropriate beverages to wash them down.

- Bucko - 10-10-2002

Wished I knew in advance -- we stayed in Amboise two nights.....

- wondersofwine - 10-10-2002

Joey, you're located near the chateaux of the Loire Valley aren't you? We visited about four of them in October (some years back) and it was great missing the tourist crunch. Did encounter one school group of French children but felt like we had some chateaux and gardens nearly to ourselves.

- joeyz6 - 10-11-2002

Yeah, the location is really nice, especially considering that I've spent my whole life in the city and suburbs. Very relaxed, the people are great, and yes, there are beautiful castles no more than 20 km in any direction! The ones that are closest to here are Blois, Chambord and Cheverny, plus some others that are a little less known. I think Amboise is a little farther but I've never been to that one. My favorite so far is Chenonceaux, which is built over a river.

- wondersofwine - 10-11-2002

That was my favorite too. I think it was there that we witnessed a "Son et Lumiere" (Sound and Light) presentation with religious music as they narrated about the chapel; the river turned blood red under red lighting as they narrated about the bloody French Revolution etc. A dramatic way to brush up on French history.

- joeyz6 - 10-12-2002

That's interesting, I saw a "Son et Lumière" at Blois a couple of years ago. My French wasn't good enough to understand very much of it, though. According to a friend here, you can see these shows at several chateaux.