WineBoard
Legs from wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Legs from wine (/thread-20673.html)

- Kmackey - 01-19-2001

What exactly do the legs means after poring wine in a glass?

- mrdutton - 01-19-2001

Depends on how much wine you've drunk!!

I even manage to get my sea legs back after a few bottles..... either that or the room just starts moving.

Seriously, use the Wine Boards SEARCH feature and enter the word "Legs". You will find plenty of discussion on the subject, including the definition of the term.

- winoweenie - 01-19-2001

K-Mac, the term legs is applied to the result of pouring wine in a glass, swirling it around in a (rite-handed) clock-wise motion, the wine going up the side of the glass, then when the swirling subsides, you see these pretty rivulets going down the side of the glass that look like legs.( Actually like the Radio Center Dancers ) According to which expert opinion you listen to, these are caused by the amount of glycerine in the wine or a combo of alcohol and glycerin. What-some-ever makes fer` it, it do be a beautiful sight. Viva La Legs! WW

- winoweenie - 01-19-2001

K-Mac, the term legs is applied to the result of pouring wine in a glass, swirling it around in a (rite-handed) clock-wise motion, the wine going up the side of the glass, then when the swirling subsides, you see these pretty rivulets going down the side of the glass that look like legs.( Actually like the Radio Center Dancers ) According to which expert opinion you listen to, these are caused by the amount of glycerine in the wine or a combo of alcohol and glycerin. What-some-ever makes fer` it, it do be a beautiful sight. Viva La Legs! WW

- mrdutton - 01-20-2001

WW, I think the server here has it out for you. All of your posts lately have been doubled..........

As for legs - as has been previously posted - glycerine or alcohol or a combination of the both produce the legs.

Of course, since they are so very close to each other, chemically. The reason for the legs has to do with several physical things such as cohesion and adhesion and inter-molecular mixtures. Water, glycerine and alcohol are very different, but quite congenial, on a molecular basis.

Did you ever notice that you can pour alcohol into a glass of water and the level in the glass does not increase? This is because the alcohol molecules fit in-between the water molecules.

The same, I believe, applies to glycerine.

That is why we have LEGS......... some are even worthy enough to stand upon. (GRIN)

- winoweenie - 01-20-2001

Whas` happin` Jackie? Aint one post from me enuf`? WW

- Drew - 01-20-2001

WW, so what do you get when you swirl counter clockwise?

Drew

- thewoodman - 01-20-2001

I think you only swirl southern hemisphere wines counterclockwise

- Bucko - 01-20-2001

WW and I do not like legs -- makes it that much father to fall to the gutter..... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bucko

- mrdutton - 01-20-2001

Hey, I'm left handed. I swirl counter-clockwise all the time, naturally.

Doesn't seem to both the result in the least.

- winoweenie - 01-20-2001

Okie-Dokie youse 2. Bucko, I don` care how much you youse beg I `aint gonna be your surragate Father. And MrD, i promise if`n BOTH of youse repent,I`ll nopt BOTHER to report you for irregular swirling. WW

- mrdutton - 01-25-2001

Thanks for that. I wuz shakin in muh boots, waitin for the swirl'n poliz to come and get me.

I bin duing it the wrong way fur a while......

Left anded as always.......

- chittychattykathy - 01-30-2001

I'm a lefty as well...

- winecollector - 02-01-2001

Jackie- I think somehow Mr D's post and Winoweenie's posts are getting crossed somehow.... I'm having a lot of trouble telling them apart for some reason.....

- caci74 - 02-12-2001

Ya know not only do legs reflect the physical manipulation of alcohol and glycerine per the style of wine maker but also the natural corrolation of sugar and alcohol can determine alot in place of origin when trying to guess a wind blind.YA know that cold climate hot climate thang. But I'm sure none of you have enough time to do blind tastings it might distract you from your favorite site.Speaking of tastings,anyone have anything wonderful over the weekend?And no, Rouge D'Oakley doesn't count.

- mrdutton - 02-12-2001

Hmmmmm..... well you are trying to change directions here. Seems you want to take this thread somewhere other than to "legs".

This past weekend:

1995 Rosemount GSM
1997 Rosemount GSM
1997 Cline Cotes d'Oakley (or did you say that does not count?)
1998 Michel Bernard Cotes du Rhone Villages
Rancho Zabacco Zin
Cardinal Zin
Cline Zin
Cline Mourvedre

I'm not sure I can still walk....... but the cork screw still works.........

Eight bottles of wine. The weekend starts on Friday and ends on Monday morning. One, two, three and a half days. Two bottles a day. Lite consumption, but enjoyable.

- winoweenie - 02-13-2001

'Kaint kwite unnerstand whas blind-tasting have to do wif' Legs? And tasting notes are normally posted under the appropriate thread. winoweenie. ( I detect a refugee from the WCWN )

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 02-13-2001).]

- Thomas - 02-14-2001

Yeah, sounds like this fella is either teasing or being sarcastic--good at hiding the true meaning of the post, along with his/her identity/neighborhood.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-14-2001).]