WineBoard
Happy 4th. of July - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Happy 4th. of July (/thread-20423.html)

- Drew - 07-03-2001

To all you firecrackers and rebels, have a fun and safe day.

Drew

- hotwine - 07-04-2001

Amen,and same at ya!

- Innkeeper - 07-04-2001

225 Years and going strong. A very happy Fourth of July to one and all. After a pause to remember, it's fire up the grill, and hot dogs, hamburgers, and Burgess Zinfandel. America is such a wonderful place.

- winoweenie - 07-04-2001

May each and every have a bang-up, star-crossed, explosively happy, emotionally and nutrionally happy FOURTH! (an under-cooked Weener)

- Bucko - 07-04-2001

Back at you. BBQ baby-back ribs, baked beans, sour crean potato salad, cherry pie, home brew and Zinfandel......Tums. Yee Haw!

BuckBoom

- hotwine - 07-04-2001

She's just informed me that I'm grilling salmon filets and shrimp today; that smoking a brisket or babybacks will have to wait until the weekend, when we'll do them at the ranch.

Looks like the ol' BBQ trailer is going to rack up a few more miles....

HotWheels

- Innkeeper - 07-04-2001

"She" must be from New England. Don't forget the fresh dill. That's the only herb they had in the store yesterday.

- hotwine - 07-04-2001

Nope, Debra's a south Texas native of German stock, a rancher's daughter; she discovered the joys of salmon on an Alaskan cruise we took a few years ago.

- Drew - 07-04-2001

My office cooked today for a dedication of a memorial honoring the five officers killed in the line of duty from the Northeastern District in Baltimore City where I'm assigned. Pit beef, turkey, pork, grilled chicken, and 50lbs. assorted salads, hot dogs, sausage w/ onions and peppers were served gratis from the communities plus a multitude of deserts (no donuts) were served...our first attempt at catering...wouldn't want to do it for a living. Everything was great! Hotwine, you would be proud!

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 07-04-2001).]

- hotwine - 07-04-2001

I would indeed, Drew! While reading your post, I was thinking, "Dang, wish I could have been there to serve that group!" Catering is indeed a lot of work, but that's the kind of gathering that I appreciate the opportunity to support. Cooked for 50 kids at church yesterday for an early 4th celebration, and it was no trouble at all.

Five men gone, all from the same district?
Mercy.

- Innkeeper - 07-04-2001

Such a nice day. After bacon and corncakes with real maple syrup for b-fast, we did some gardening, caught our fantastic little parade at 1 and had a late lunch of mesquite grilled hot dogs with a '98 Marques de Caceres Rioja Rose'. Then tonight we had a late dinner of mesquite grilled burgers, with salad, and Burgess Zin. We ate and drank on our front porch watching the fireworks over the bay. Such a life. Hope you all had a great one too.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-04-2001).]

- Bucko - 07-04-2001

Oh my head.... kaboom.....

Smoked ribs, chicken, coleslaw, macaroni salad, potato salad, fruit kabobs, baked beans, french bread, and cheese cake all washed down by Swan, Dashe, Ridge and Folie au Deux Zins.

Topped off with a Macanudo and three fingers of Scotch......

BuckBoom

- hotwine - 07-05-2001

She changed her mind. Instead of salmon & shrimp, we had oak-grilled sirloin burgers with baked beans and Maison Nicolas VdP PN.

We had never heard of "sirloin burgers", but these were very nice, for store-bought beef; super-lean, they grilled without a lot of shrinkage. But they were such a bright red, I swear they must have been spray-painted! I wouldn't put even that past the marketing gurus these days.

- winoweenie - 07-05-2001

Did anyone git' the plate number of that derned Semi?A breakfast of Tomato juiced laced beers, and on to the Kosher Zion Franks, homey 'tater salad,Cole Slaw, Grilled burgers ( Yes Hotsie over Mesquite and Hickory chips ) and like Buckie-boom, Scherrer 95 Old and Mature Zin, 95 Hendry Block 7 Zin and a 95 Rabbit Ridge Sonoma Reserve Zin. Cremated the first two burgers watching Andre at Wimbledon so took the little portable to the back. All in all a fantabulous day and Drew for whatever it's worth I did give a thought to your fallen comrades. Now to the steam room. WW

- cpurvis - 07-05-2001

Belated Happy fireworks to all. Sounds like I got through far too unscathed in comparison to some of y'all...sadly, not a zin in sight.

Excellent marinated grilled chicken, pasta salad, green salad, corn-on-the-cob, & biscuits. But none of my drinkin' buddies around, so SW was the rule for the wife & neighbors. Maybe I need to exchange houses with Drew's neighbor for awhile [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

cp

- Drew - 07-05-2001

We could work a sweet deal but I don't think you want to move from Oregon to Maryland.

Drew

- Bucko - 07-05-2001

Drew, I imagined MD as one big concrete slab with wall to wall people. When we visited friends in Anniston, we were plesantly surprised at the lovely rural countrysides.

Bucko

- Drew - 07-06-2001

Don't misunderstand, Maryland with it's rolling countrysides, Eastern Shore and Western Maryland mountains is very beautiful. I would imagine though, that Oregon is as beautiful since everyone in California is invading that state.

Drew

- cpurvis - 07-06-2001

Right-o! Drew. Oregon's a beautiful state w/ scenery varying from rugged coasts to snow-capped volcanic peaks, high desert, lush river valleys & rolling wheat fields.

I would have difficulty reconciling the scenic (& summer humidity) aspect of the trade, but was thinking purely in terms of wine & cigars [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

cp

- hotwine - 07-08-2001

We finally grilled the salmon this evening, along with garlic cloves, mushrooms and little white onions. Washed it all down with the VdP PN. Yeow! Got another peek at heaven!

BTW, as ree-ward for haulin' six yards of compost & one of mulch for her flower beds, she bought me two cases of the PN yesterday. She sure knows which buttons to push...