WineBoard
I know we tried this afore--and failed - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: I know we tried this afore--and failed (/thread-20359.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Glass_A_Day - 07-06-2003

I would love to get together with you all. Wine country sounds like the place to be. It would hurt the wallet the most, but if you are going to do something, you should go for the gusto. Second choice for me would be KC. Great place. I would go anywhere though.I could even bring some MA oak for Bucko. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 07-06-2003

MA. oak for Bucko, across the forehead???

Anyway, looks like I have to chide this group.

The object here is not to learn how flexible everyone can be--the object is to compile a list of wants and then do a consensus count to select a location. If most of us post that we will go anywhere, then we are going to leave the decision to one or two or three people. Now, if that's what we want, fine--who will make the decision?

My preference is a middle ground so that most of us can commit to make an equal effort, physically and financially. So, I am in St. Louis with IK as #1 choice (but not in the summer); Kansas City #2.

- Georgie - 07-06-2003

Ok. First choice St. Louis...second choice Denver. 3rd choice, Atlantic City (Just had to throw that in for silliness [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img])

- winoweenie - 07-06-2003

1st cheerce Denver, 2nd K.C. thoid St.louis.
S.L. is a wierd, IMHO, city. K.C. lots of plusses, but Denver has low airfairs, tons of good restaurants, and basically a cheap date (like CB used-to-be-afore-lock-in.) WW

- Bucko - 07-06-2003

Denver #1
KC #2
Helotes #3

--the object is to compile a list of wants --

And I want Foodie is his best dress and pumps.

- Georgie - 07-06-2003

Just got back from dinner at sister's, where one of the guests was telling me how wonderful Denver is. If I'm allowed to change my mind, I'll put Denver first. Hope there's an eraser on that pencil, foodie.

- hotwine - 07-06-2003

1. Denver
2. Sanfran
3. Seattle

I'm booked in September; gotta go to former exchange student's wedding in Edinburgh.

- Botafogo - 07-06-2003

I'm down with Denver (I've never been to Colorado, sounds fun). I will be in Brasil

Jan 6-30

June 9-14

Aug 1-6

Oct 10-17

And attending VinItaly 2004 the first half of April.

Foodie and Steve and I (and any others here in the wine trade) all have to work like dogs on ALL holidays (including Valentines Day) and turn into Elves from November 1st to New Years.

Roberto

One more bid for a venue that is central and CHEAP yet has great food and culture: Montreal!

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 07-06-2003).]

- Georgie - 07-07-2003

My best times would be spring vacation, April 3-9, or during the summer. If need be, I can tack a couple of personal days onto a weekend anytime during the year.

- Kcwhippet - 07-07-2003

While I can understand the rationale for selecting a site that seems to be centrally located geographically, why not one where there's more of a wine industry? Airfares from the East coast to CA aren't a whole lot different than those to CO. I'm sure more than one winery would be glad to host a decent sized group for an event, and that would be more in line with the focus of our group. Just a thought.

- Bucko - 07-07-2003

One of the most fun off-lines that I have ever done was in Calistoga, Napa Valley.

A group of us took over an entire B&B for a week. We pretty much had our run of the place. We cooked out there one night, but mostly hit the many top restaurants.

We went to a lot of closed wineries to avoid the tourist crush that was in full force.

In the evenings we sat out on the top deck of the B&B, talked, told big lies, puffed on a stogie, and drank some of the treasures of the day...... life is good.

Another thought.

- Kcwhippet - 07-07-2003

That's what I'm talking about, Bucko. Since wine is what brought us together, why not make it a major part of the agenda.

- cablover - 07-07-2003

Although I haven't posted many messages I do read you guys at least every other day and it would be fun to meet. I agree that a get-together should be in a wine region and in my humble opinion Napa Valley is the best. Summer or fall is the best time for Napa. It can get hot in the summer but that makes for nice evenings.

- Jackie - 07-07-2003

The Wine Curmudgeon celebrated his birthday on May 15th or 16th, I think. He always referred to it as "Bobby Darin's Birthday".

The 15th-16th happens to fall on a weekend in 2004. Maybe this would be a good time to get together and also honor our memories of Jerry Mead.

What do you think?

Jackie

P.S. I hope it is not Mother's Day weekend.

[This message has been edited by Jackie (edited 07-07-2003).]

- Georgie - 07-07-2003

Mother's Day is May 9, 2004. The calendar I found lists the 16th as Stepmother's Day, which I never knew existed.

- winedope1 - 07-07-2003

just got back and read this thread! Denver is #1, St. Louis is #2. As long as I know far enough in advance, my schedule can be open any tim next year. What a great idea!!! WD

- ShortWiner - 07-07-2003

I just got back too--if this works out I think it would be great. #1 for me is San Fran (sister will be living there), #2 St. Louis, #3 Denver

- Botafogo - 07-07-2003

We have over 7,000 registered users (although I would like to see the number who have posted more than once in the last year, might be less than one hundred?) and so far we have maybe 15 voices on this?

For starters, I think we should take it to a different forum or maybe create one for it? Maybe we will then get a little broader input...

Roberto

- randery - 07-07-2003

Stepmothers' day?

1) Napa
2) Denver
3) KC

- Thomas - 07-08-2003

I'll let it go another week, and then start to compile the results.

Stepmother's Day? You've got to be joking.