WineBoard
Southwest of France - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Southwest of France (/thread-20169.html)

- Thomas - 10-18-2003

Amazing that I could remember my password while here in France. Just left Cahors today and am now in Beaucaire, overlooking the Rhone into Provence. Wonderful weather and wonderful wines so far--had a Gaillac White last night with an expensive dinner; both were outstanding.

- Georgie - 10-18-2003

Ah, cher foodie! How nice to hear from you! I am delighted to hear that you are enjoying your wonderful trip. Please keep us vicarious travelers informed! Au revoir!

- Thomas - 10-18-2003

Ah Georgie, this is quite a nice trip. Just had a plate full of frog's legs that married well with a Provencal rose. The garlic in my gullet might keep me awake a bit more than I want, but then I can have a glass more of rose...

- winoweenie - 10-18-2003

Please burp into your next posr!!!ww

- hotwine - 10-18-2003

Yow, am I green or whut?

- Thomas - 10-19-2003

I gotta tell ya, the Italians are far better cooks than the French.

As much as I have enjoyed the meals here, today I cooked our lunch (we are staying in a rented house for the week). Went out and got some wonderful sardines, a bunch of veggies and bread--plus trotters to make stock and a few chops for grilling later on.

I cooked up a tomato, onion, garlic, saute in olive oil, added some rose Provencal, and then stewed the sardines in the sauce--with lemon thyme that is growing outside the door.

Boiled a couple of potatoes until half cooked; then sliced and fried them in butter, parsley and rosemary, which also grows outside our door.

With a glass of Provencal red, and a fine salad--who the hell needs restaurants?

Tomorrow we are off to Avignon.

- Kcwhippet - 10-19-2003

"I gotta tell ya, the Italians are far better cooks than the French."

You sure you're just not a bit biased by your heritage? Doing a little research for the next book while you're over there? Going to have a draft ready by May 4?

- Thomas - 10-19-2003

Actually KC, I am doing a little research for the next book, which is in proposal stage. May 4th would be a dream date.

As for bias--you betcha, and it is proven that my bias is correct!!!

Seriously, I like the simplicity of Italian cooking over the heavy-handedness of French fare. And butter? I thought these guys gave up on that a while ago. I mean, rice cooked in butter--it's enough to send my cardiologist to the cardiology ward.

Silly me! I just got the significance of the May 4 date.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-19-2003).]

- winedope1 - 10-20-2003

Foodie- sounds like you are really enjoying the research! hope the trip proves to be fruitful and happy! WD

- Bucko - 10-20-2003

**I gotta tell ya, the Italians are far better cooks than the French.**

Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

- ShortWiner - 10-20-2003

Sounds like you're having a blast, Thomas. Happy anniversary [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 10-20-2003

What you need, Bucko, is an education--maybe a palate operation?

It is a happy anniversary. Thanks.

- wondersofwine - 10-20-2003

What I want to know is why waste all that good stock and sauce, etc. on SARDINES!!!
It's a little late to wish you Bon Voyage so let me say Laissez Faire Les Bons Temps Roulez!

- Bucko - 10-20-2003

Next you're going to try and convince me that Italian wines are better than French wines........ }:> Not!!

- ShortWiner - 10-21-2003

That's a debate I'd like to see!

- Thomas - 10-21-2003

WOW I shall have to send you to Bucko's corner. Have you ever tasted fresh Mediterranean sardines? They ain't oily or salty or "canny," cause they ain't from a can, and they are BIGGER than the canned ones. And they make a great flavorful dish with pasta, or topped with a tomato-based sauce without pasta.

As for you Bucko, I always thought physicians lose their taste buds staying up all night cramming during residency--you have confirmed my suspicions...

On a serious note: have you ever been to Italy and tasted the real Italian food? In the U.S. it is rare to taste the real thing, for want of fresh ingredients, and for want of skill.

As for France: I thought they had given up on butter and on rich meat dishes. It's fine once or twice a week, but to dine on heavy food every night simply makes me feel bad, if not heavy. And why don't they eat soup anymore? Can't find a bowl of it in this part of France. Next week we will get to Paris for a few days before returning. Might find some soup there--pleeeeezzz!

Tonight I am cooking a rabbit stew, and a light one at that. My wife is presently making a stock so we can get some soup.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-21-2003).]