WineBoard
New to everything.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: New to everything.... (/thread-20036.html)

Pages: 1 2

- zatara_eads - 04-14-2010

Hey fellas, I'm new to this forum but I love it. I gunna start posting more for sure!

[This message has been edited by zatara_eads (edited 04-14-2010).]

- andrawes76 - 04-14-2010

ZE, welcome to the Board... post freely and just remember one thing... advertise only in the advertising section. Other than that, play and enjoy. We're a great group of people.

BTW guys, ZE is one of my bloggers and I want you guys to straight up know that from the beginning. He's got a lot of tasting notes and I'm encouraging him to share them with us all here on the Wine Board!

- zatara_eads - 04-14-2010

Yeah, and much to Personalwine's chagrin I don't do many of his wines for my tasting notes. C'est la vie.

- TheEngineer - 04-14-2010

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing watcha drinkin' [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- TheEngineer - 04-15-2010

ZE,

What's your background? Are you in the trade as well? I'm only asking that since PW noted you blog for him and it would be interesting to know. For the record, as you would guess, I'm an engineer who in this field is the newbie of the gruop (although KSB might argue that one [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]. I joined this group almost 4-5 years ago and had very little wine experience. This gruop helped me get off the ground and more knowledgeable about the subject. To this group I owe alot. I'm also a small time exporter now (tiny volumes).

- zatara_eads - 04-15-2010

@ engineer

My history is rather varied...I might as well go for the full shabang.

I used to work for a winery in Bordeaux run by Jean Louis Trocard. The Trocards make 14 different wines running from Cremant to Pomerol. Overall they produce about 30,000 cases a year through their own vineyards and some sourced ones (they also have a negociant business). I spent most of my time working at Franc la Rose, their St. Emilion GC. I actually met with some of the top brass at Spec's, a large retailer here in Texas, while working for the Trocards. I then went and worked with Spec's in Houston for a period of time focusing on basic retail and their corporate strategy. Apart from that I have some history of oenophiles within my family. My grandmother was one of the first women to import Bordeaux wine into America, and unless I'm mistaken the first woman to bring it into the state of Texas; but my accuracy on her being first may be family lore. My father is also an avid oenophile and collector, in addition to having his hand in numerous cookie jars throughout the wine industry.

As for myself personally, I have a penchant for old world reds (Merlot and Cab Franc in particular), Provence Rose, and Rhone Whites. Yeah that may make me a bit of a francophile... but I don't care

- Thomas - 04-16-2010

Welcome Z. A fine resume, especially the part about your grandmother.

And Engineer, I didn't know you are exporting wine. Where to?

This gives me an idea: why don't we each contribute our wine resume?

Here's mine:

Started drinking wine when six or seven and hung around my next door neighbor who made it in his basement. I graduated fast and was the first teen in my gang to own a corkscrew, although it was rendered useless as we twisted open our Thunderbirds. At about 28, after developing a bottle of wine a day routine, I decided to take a look at the world and moved to Iran, where I got to explore some truly ancient wine culture and that got me interested in wine history. Back in the U.S. I took a part time job in a wine shop to learn that end of the business; I joined Les Amis du Vin, one of the earliest modern wine clubs; did some winemaking and wine sensory studies; worked for a communications company that created films amd slide shows for wine companies in California (this is when I met Leigh Knowles who presided over Beaulieu and where the bug to start a winery bit me hard); in 1985 I opened my small Finger Lakes winery, Cana Vineyards, and worked as a sales rep for another local winery; began to write about wine and food in 1987; closed the winery in 1992 for financial reasons and worked first for a small local winery and then for Lauber Imports; wrote my first book in 2000 and opened a wine retail shop in Manhattan that same year; wrote the second book in 2006 and the third in 2008.

Through it all, I've come to appreciate the multiple joys of Riesling, and have developed a heightened respect for Italian wines of many regions--and have never lost my love for certain French wines, which was my first wine bent, especially the wines of St Emilion.

So who's next?

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 04-16-2010).]

- wondersofwine - 04-16-2010

I've never been in the wine business. My interest in wine started with Rieslings when I lived and worked in Germany in my 20's. I came back to a job in Prince George's County, Maryland and was a member of the DC chapter of Les Amis du Vin. I think we hosted Hugh Johnson one time and also an author of a cookbook on Nouvelle French cuisine.
Returned to Germany two more times and also lived in Monterey County, CA for three years in the 80's and three years in the 90's. My interest in Zinfandel comes from those years. Two visits to Napa and one to Mendocino while I lived in California.
I moved to North Carolina in 1994. My favorite red wine variety is Pinot Noir in Burgundy and elsewhere. My favorite white wine variety is Riesling.
I have been to offlines in the Finger Lakes (twice), Willamette Valley, Oregon and Prosser, WA. I have also visited Sonoma County in 2007 and Santa Barbara County in 2008. I hope to revisit Sonoma this year.
I also attend wine festivals when I have the vacation time and the money--Nantucket Wine Festival several times, Pinehurst Wine Festival several times, Triangle Wine Experience every year and Charlotte Wine and Food Weekend every other year (coming up later this month.)

- zatara_eads - 04-16-2010

@wonders

On the topic of festivals, if you ever get the inclination or, like you said, vacation and money, the Aspen Food and Wine festival is one of the greatest things I have ever been to. It's every year, normally in August unless I'm mistaken. It's really relaxed, but super high quality and how can you beat Aspen for a weekend in the summer? The best...

- TheEngineer - 04-16-2010

Foodie,

I play a very minor role. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] My friend in SF asked me to help out with starting a small boutique firm exporting wines from California to Hong Kong. Small low volumes but it gets me involved in something I love. We also bring over a Germany wine and are looking to expand to the continent soon but we are looking at expanding volume first in HK. Because my role is so minor, I've almost been embarrassed to admit it... on the pus side, it gets me into local tastings by industries [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] ....vinexpo yest bu no invite for the Bordeaux tastings in the US yet.....

- hotwine - 04-16-2010

Have been swilling the sauce since '62-'63, mostly Burgs & Rhones initially, then Bords by '67. Took an assignment to Germany in '73 and enjoyed Rieslings for three years, esp. Mosels. Wines were weekend luxuries for too many years; only acquired a small storage unit in '01?, then a EuroCave, then a cellar as the obsession became more intense. Volunteered as a kit-wine mixer (can't call me a winemaker) for one summer '04 or '05, bought property in '08 intending to grow grapes, took short courses.... then the economy tanked. No further investment in the business for now. Have enjoyed wines with dinner each evening since early '90s: she sets the menu, I find something to match. We share wines with good friends frequently - very frequently.

She wants me to try making wine from purchased grapes, in lieu of growing our own, to avoid the $10K/ac planting cost; might yet do that.

- TheEngineer - 04-16-2010

Would be great to try that first vintage of yours HW!

- Innkeeper - 04-16-2010

My experience “ITB” occurred during the last five and half years of my 26 year Air Force career. I was the director of MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) for the Strategic Air Command. In this capacity I was responsible, among other things, for 25 package stores and 60 military clubs. During the entire time we had a program whereby we encouraged these facilities to get in touch with their local wineries. The motivation for this effort was to introduce personnel to wine as a dinner beverage. By offering wine tastings on base or at the wineries our folks found that there was alternative to the ubiquitous bottle(s) of brew. On staff visits to the various bases we frequently visited the local wineries ourselves. This gave me an appreciation of the variety of wine this country offers.

That job also gave me the opportunity to peruse the monthly wholesale listings of the Omaha based wine distributors. This provided wonderful insight into how much retailers had to pay for the wine they sold. Amazing!

My wife Beverly and I still have an appreciation of local wines and we frequently stop at wineries during our travels. Although all the New England states have very fine local wines to offer, the best close by wine region to us is the Finger Lakes. We travel their as often as we can, buy directly from wineries over there. You may notice that the majority of postings on the East Coast thread are mine, just as VH has most of the posts on the Loire thread.

Having said all that, we do love wines from all over the country and the world. We have belonged to the Tobin James Wine Club for decades, and get at least one shipment a year from Easton/Terre Rouge. International wines that we can’t find around here are usually purchased from Pops Wines or Chambers Street, both in New York City.

- Thomas - 04-16-2010

IK,

I wish I was in the AF when when you were, and I was in the Strategic Air Command where you were stationed...all we ever got was 3.2 beer and B&G wines.

In Greenland, however, of all places, the base commander must have been a wine guy, because the selection could be stellar at clubs. Of course, in Greenland, they wanted everyone to forget where they were stationed.

- VouvrayHead - 04-16-2010

I'm by far the least knowledgeable person on the board who posts regularly.
I got into wine in 2004 or so, when I became, almost entirely by chance, the wine buyer at a small grocery store in Madison, Wisconsin. In that position I tasted and took notes on the many wines I got to try each week, listened to the salesmen (who, blessedly, were mostly old esoteric ladies and gents rather than the young smarmy sort) and read and read for the position. I developed my first wine love there, Vouvray, when I tasted a simple bottle of 2002 Champalou Vouvray at $14. The minerals and purity really got to me.
After a year or so, I quit that job and went to a small liquor store that wanted to improve its wine. I brought some things in, but mostly I wrote notes, put together tastings, and began and maintained an e-mail list for tastings. While in Wisconsin, I went to literally every industry tasting I could.

I moved to St Louis in 2007, where I've taught High School English since.

I honeymooned in San Francisco in 2008, and spent multiple days in Sonoma, as well as a day in Amador. I also spend time in Augusta, Missouri (America's first AVA!)

I'm partial to the Loire valley, Vouvray first, but recently I've developed strong affinities for Muscadet, Chinon, and Saumur as well (not into the Sauv Blanc as much).
I also love Champagne and the Rhone. Also, Burgundy when I can afford it, but I reach for Champagne first when my wallet is open. I dabble in Italy and Spain. I buy very little domestic wine, though I have plenty in my cellar (which you can see if you search for "Happypoet" on cellartracker) from my honeymoon. I like it, just not as much as the French stuff!

I'm on the mailing list for Sean Thackrey, SCMV, and I purchase quite a bit from Garagiste, mainly because I love trying unusual wines (how the hell did I end up ordering 5 Jean Bourdy Cotes du Jura?)...
I also used to be on the lists of Terre Rouge and Harvest Moon, and will be again when finances allow.

This somehow turned into a profile as much as history. I suppose that's OK, since my history is so paltry!

- Thomas - 04-16-2010

Profile is good, too, vouv.

Question: is high school English a different version of the language?

What am I asking? Of course it is... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 04-16-2010).]

- VouvrayHead - 04-16-2010

Hell, yes!

- wondersofwine - 04-19-2010

Zatara, I had heard of the Aspen festival. Maybe after I retire (not far off for me) I can consider going there at least once. Where did you stay while attending the festival and did you need a rental car to get around?

- winoweenie - 04-19-2010

Well Z-Man I'll second the Aspen festival. I lived in Denver for 22 years and was an avid collector at the time. Acrually was called on to pour for Flora Springs one year when Julie Garvey was preggie so needless to say there were some solid pours for the classy ladies who visited my booth. Didn't realize then that the first day you were only supposed to pour whites so I was pouring anything requested. Couldn't understand why people were lined up late in the day at my stall. Finally Fred Fischer who was next to me said I was breaking the rules and not only that but the ice I'd put in a cardboard box with the chard was leaking into his space and his shoes were wet. Any ways... I've been drinking wine for quite a while and you will notice my posts are mainly, (like 100%), confined to red varietals. Don't even peruse the SW boards but have had enough of them to know at my age best I concentrate my remaining drinking time to the color of me cherce. Glad having you aboard and look forward to reading you drinking experiences in the future. As we say in Shawnee...Velchomme! WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-19-2010).]

- zatara_eads - 04-19-2010

@ wonders

My family had a house there so we just stayed there. The best (and priciest) hotel is called The Little Nell, it's an awesome place. MS running the best Burg list outside of France I've seen. I used to live 15 min down valley from Aspen so I know the place pretty well.
Another cool hotel is the Jerome, it's right on main st and it's more moderately priced. If you're in Aspen proper you won't need a car, it's an easy place to walk around. If you're in Snowmass though, I'd get a car.