WineBoard
Can someone help me w/ this Pinot - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Can someone help me w/ this Pinot (/thread-19573.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Lisa-n-2boys - 04-02-2006

Long story short...I've accumulated quite a few bottles of wine for a school auction (donated by friends, family,etc).

I'm writing up a little bit about each wine, where it's from, tasting notes, approx cost, etc.

Well I can NOT find anything about this particular bottle. Here is what it says:

LUCIA
Alto Adige
Denominazione di Origine Controllata
PINOT GRIGIO

On the back of the bottle it says this:

PINOT GRIGIO
ALTO ADIGE
WHITE WINE

Cantina Nalles &* Magre-Niclara - Nalles - Italy

Can ANYONE help me with some info on this wine?? I've searched all night online and came up with nothing.

Many Thanks!
Lisa

- Innkeeper - 04-03-2006

Hi Lisa, and welcome to the Wine Board. Cheers Liquor Mart in Colorado Springs sells it for $12. Have not tried it, but from this information would deduce that it is a journeyman PG. Alto Adige is the northenmost wine region of Italy, making wines in the Germanic style. Pinot Grigio is the Italian version of Pinot Gris or the "Grey" in the Pinot family.

- Kcwhippet - 04-03-2006

IK is right on. Lucia is indeed one of a large number of the Pinot Grigios that are essentially second tier. It's not up there with St. Michael Eppan or Coltorenzo, but it's not dreck. We have it for $10.99.

- Lisa-n-2boys - 04-03-2006

Oh you guys are FANTASTIC! Now, I have an even BIGGER favor to ask.

I'm going to copy/paste over the wine descriptions, etc that I have. Would you (pretty please) take a minute to read it to make sure everything looks ok? I went online to try to determine the values so I want to make sure I'm represnting the wines properly.

Again....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Here's the info:

2001 Chateau Julien
Barrel Aged Merlot * Monterey County - $12.00
Tasting Notes:
A hint of black licorice and vanilla lead to an aroma of ripe blueberry, bing cherry and plum. Soft tannins and subtle oak balance out the fruit in this medium bodied wine. A full, lingering finish with superb structure and texture

2003 Girard
Old Vine Zinfandel * Napa Valley - $23.00
Tasting Notes:
Medium red. Aromas of currant, plum, spices and tobacco leaf. Round and supple, with claret-like flavors of currant, black cherry, tobacco, spices and herbs. A rather easygoing but juicy and firm-edged style of zinfandel with medium body and smooth tannins. Not at all fat or over the top

2002 Concannon
Merlot * Central Coast, California - $10.00
Tasting Notes:
From the bouquet of our Merlot emerges notes of cherry and deep blackberry which promise wonderful flavors as it opens right up on the palate with hints of black pepper, cherry pie, and blackberry jam. The finish of this medium-bodied Merlot offers soft tannins and earthy undertones. An extremely food friendly wine, the finish is supple, and clean.

2002 George Duboeuf
Beaujolais Villages * France - $11.00
Tasting Notes:
Dark garnet. Typical Beaujolais strawberries mix with brown sugar and a not-unpleasant whiff of red-wine vinegar, but there's no sign of the characteristic Duboeuf "banana" and "cotton-candy" scents, and I don't miss them. Ripe and grapey flavors, sweet fruit over sufficient acidity. Fresh and bright, it's a crowd-pleasing Nouveau, easy to swallow.

2003 Ranch Zabaco Dancing Bull
Zinfandel * California - $12.00
Tasting Notes:
The wine is immediately approachable with lively raspberry and black cherry fruit. Dancing Bull Zinfandel has hints of black pepper and soft, supple tannins. An extremely versatile and approachable wine, it that pairs well with marinara sauce, grilled chicken or barbecue beef. With its bright, vibrant fruit flavors and zesty personality, this wine can go with just about any dish!
A blend of grapes from California's Zinfandel appellations: Lodi, Sonoma, and the North and Central Coast

2001 Harrison
Claret * Napa Valley, California - $40.00
Tasting Notes:
Immediate aromas abound with perfumed ripe Damson plums, raspberries, Bing cherries, and blackberries before you even swirl your wine glass. Spicy notes from the Syrah drift across the palate mingling with smoky oak and fruit. A well filled out, balanced wine with no edges and a long, lingering finish.

2004 Virgin Vines
Shiraz * California - $13.00
Tasting Notes:
Enjoy this wine without dashes of pretentiousness or hints of snootiness. Virgin Vines believes wine should be all about having fun and loving the taste.... Simply drink this big, bold red with something or someone you find delicious. Full and supple oak flavors complimented by robust, well balanced tannins with aromas of cherry, blackcurrant and caramel.

2003 Blackstone Winery
Merlot * California - $12.00
Tasting Notes:
Blackstone Napa Merlot begins with pleasant aromas of berry, violets, vanilla, giving way to rich and ripe flavors that are couched in toasty oak, with a silky lingering finish.

Bogle Vineyards
Chardonnay * California - $10.00
Tasting Notes:
Barrel fermentation, sur-lies aging, and partial malolactic fermentation have created a rich and elegant wine with layers of complexity. The inviting aroma suggests freshly slice pears and apples, while the delicately creamy entry gives way to reveal softer hints of baking spices like cloves and nutmeg. Topped with just a touch of butter, this integrated wine ends with a long, crisp finish that can be savored with every sip.

Robert Mondavi Winery
Merlot * Napa Valley - $21.00
Tasting Notes:
The wine's multi-dimensional flavors come from grapes grown in distinctly different terroirs of Napa Valley, including the Carneros, Stags Leap and Oakville districts. Traditional techniques, including native yeasts, extended maceration, aging in French oak barrels and bottling without filtration, enhanced the wine's complexity. This wine is delicious with many entrees and cheeses.

Rosemount Estate
Cabernet Sauvignon * South Eastern Australia - $10.00
Tasting Notes:
The wine shows well defined varietal characters of blackcurrant and sweet red capsicum on the nose, with subtle smoky hints of well integrated oak. The palate shows rich, ripe berry flavours with well defined, nicely rounded tannins and a long elegant finish.
Has medium quick legs with a raisinlike nose. Has flavors of deep fruits, but none of the tartness of Italian sangiovese. Medium finish to this nice wine

Spero Winery
Plum Wine * Colorado - $13.00
Tasting Notes:
Not available

2004 Russian River Ranches
Chardonnay * Sonoma-Cutrer - $17.00
Tasting Notes
Always a favorite (and in this format, designed for consumption of a glass or two), the 2004 Russian River Ranches displays hints of wet grass and honey, flowers, kiwi and lemon zest. The finish is crisp and to the point with exceptional length

2004 Meridian
Pinot Noir * Central Coast - $11.00
Tasting Notes:
Intensely vanillin, black cherry, and floral, this wine has nuances of dried rose petals, anise, chocolate and black pepper.

2002 Chateau de Pez
Saint-Estephe * Saint Estephe France - $30.00
Tasting Notes:
Clean and fruity, with pleasant spice and currant character. Medium-bodied, with medium tannins and a good finish ... well done." (06/03) According to Robert Parker: "Surprisingly soft for a 2002, with hints of red currants, herbs, and damp earth, this wine is medium-bodied, lean, competently made, but relatively unexciting. Drink it over the next 4-5 years..." (04/05)

2003 Paul Jaboulet Cotes du Rhone
Parallele “45” * France - $12.00
Tasting Notes:
It is a generous wine, full of character and well constructed. Parallele 45, with its cardinal red color, is selected from noble grape varieties with as much Syrah as possible. It is a generous wine, full of character and well constructed. It has aromas of Grenache, coffee, and hawthorn. It is a wine for everyday, for happy times with the family. It is a wine for keeping as long as 7 to 8 years in a good cellar

2004 Fontana Candida
Frascati * Italy - $10.00
Tasting Notes:
The grapes for this dry, clean wine are grown in the porous, volcanic soils located in the Frascati commune near Rome. Rich in potassium, this soil produces plump, flavorful grapes. Fontana Candida is the only Frascati producer that uses cold filtration and cold bottling to preserve the wine’s flavor and clarity.

2004 Santa Margherita
Pinot Grigio Valdadige * Italy. - $30.00
Tasting Notes:
This dry white wine is pale straw-yellow in color. The clean, intense aroma and dry flavor with pleasant golden apple aftertaste make Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio a wine of great character and versatility.

2004 Maso Poli
Pinot Grigio * Italy - $20.00
Tasting Notes:
Pale straw color with copper highlights; delicate aromas of pear and a hint of dryness; fine and harmonious with full-bodied A wine with lots of ripe fruit and fresh acidity. Stands out. Medium- to full-bodied, with lovely fruit and a zesty finish. Drink now.
A floral nose greeted us with this wine. It had the heaviest body of the five, one that chardonnay lovers might like. It had a rounder mouth feel, in which nothing dominated the taste.

Fairly deep color. Attractive, rich nose is dominated by floral notes, minerality, and a touch of mint; the strawberry fruit is ripe and expressive. Big, chewy, earthy, tannic, and voluptuous in the mouth; a really fine interpretation of Nebbiolo. The oak braces against the fat fruit and the acidity is excellent. But there is also a tight, unyielding quality and a finish that fades quickly. We did not taste this very youthful wine at its best; after years of serious cellaring, it should be fabulous..
If you like Merlot, you'll LOVE this one! As good as, if not better than our past vintages. Blended with our Cabernet Sauvignon it has BIG, bold flavors of ripe currants, plum and black cherries coupled with hints of herbal and oak aromas. Shows complexity in it's deep, dark, ruby color.

- Innkeeper - 04-03-2006

Can't find anything to argue with.

- winoweenie - 04-03-2006

Drinking a bottle of Girard 03 Oldie as I tipe this. Lovely wine and worth every peopy. WW

- Lisa-n-2boys - 04-03-2006

Thanks again!

Of all the wines, I've actually been to the Girard vineyard. Had the pleasure of staying in the guest house at the vineyard last June. Neighbor is a buyer for Girard and got me hooked up with them!

Thanks again for the help [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Bucko - 04-03-2006

Some of them are oak bombs, but most are sound. It's a matter of personal preference. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 04-04-2006

On the Fontana Candida Frascati it looks like the variety of grape is missing. Pinot Grigio? I'm no expert on deciphering Italian labels but it looks like Fontana Candida is the producer and Frascati is the region (unless Candida is the varity of grape?)
Also the Beaujolais-Villages--if it's a "Nouveau" from 2002--dump it! Beaujolais Nouveau is meant to be consumed within months of bottling. Possibly it is a regular 2002 Beaujolais-Villages which would be fine and you transcribed a tasting note on the Beaujolais Nouveau instead.

- Lisa-n-2boys - 04-04-2006

Ok....I'm not going to pretend to even know, but what is an oak bomb?

Also, here's the info on the Beaujolais:

Georges Dubceuf - Beaujolais 2002

On the back it just says Red Beaujolais Wine, so probably goofed when I typed in the description. Does that sound any better? Not worth dumping at least?

Thanks!

- dananne - 04-04-2006

The Duboeuf description should lose the word "Nouveau," as it is a Villages wine. Not all Beaujolais is Nouveau. For that matter, not all Nouveau is "easy to swallow" [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- TheEngineer - 04-04-2006

Unfortunately as I understand (and by no means an expert here), on the 2002 Georges Dubceuf - Nouveau Beaujolais 2002, these wines are generally made to be consumed within the year that they are made, preferably as early as possible. Your 2002 should be consumed asap and see if it is still worth drinking.

- wondersofwine - 04-04-2006

You don't need to dump the Beaujolais-Villages--it should be fine. Just dump the tasting note referring to Beaujolais Nouveau.

An oak bomb is a wine with sometimes big fruit but even bigger impression of wood (could be from new barrels which impart some of the wood flavor to the wine--older barrels don't impact the flavor as much--or could be from the addition of wood chips while vinifying--a cheap method of adding a wood taste). Some people like the oak or cedar flavoring. Others are sensitive to it and find it overpowers the fruit and other nuances of the wine. I'm in between, liking subtle wood influence but not the overpowering taste and smell (like chewing on a toothpick). Also the wood is heated in forming barrels and if the winemaker goes for a heavily "charred" wood, that gives a smokiness and sometimes a burnt taste to the wine. Some people, especially if used to the California style of big red wines, like the oak bombs so don't worry about it. You are being generous for a good cause so go for it.

- dananne - 04-04-2006

Sorry about the confusion. Wonders was correct in interpreting me -- the Beaujolais wine is fine, though the description of it used the word "Nouveau" to describe the wine, which is what should be dropped.

- Lisa-n-2boys - 04-04-2006

Ok - two last questons and then I'll leave you poor folks alone (btw, you've been very helpful!!!!)

What type of wine is this? On the label it says: Grand Vin - Chatau de Pez - Saint-Estephe.

2002 Chateau de Pez
Saint-Estephe * Saint Estephe France - $30.00
Tasting Notes:
Clean and fruity, with pleasant spice and currant character. Medium-bodied, with medium tannins and a good finish ... well done." (06/03) According to Robert Parker: "Surprisingly soft for a 2002, with hints of red currants, herbs, and damp earth, this wine is medium-bodied, lean, competently made, but relatively unexciting. Drink it over the next 4-5 years..."

And on this one? Someone indicated I actually didn't have down what type of wine it is...

ON the label it says: Fontana Candida - Frascati, Superiore 2004

2004 Fontana Candida
Frascati * Italy - $10.00
Tasting Notes:
The grapes for this dry, clean wine are grown in the porous, volcanic soils located in the Frascati commune near Rome. Rich in potassium, this soil produces plump, flavorful grapes. Fontana Candida is the only Frascati producer that uses cold filtration and cold bottling to preserve the wine’s flavor and clarity.

THANKS!!!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 04-04-2006

Chateau de Pez is a Bordeaux, and the grapes are mostly (if not all) Cabernet Franc and Merlot.

I'm pretty sure Frascati is made from Moscato and Trebianno grapes, both white grapes.

- dananne - 04-04-2006

The Chateau de Pez is a Bordeaux from St. Estephe, and is a blend of Cab, Merlot, Cab Franc, and probably some Petit Verdot.

The Fontana Candida Frascati is a blend of Trebbiano and Malvasia.

For the second time in a week, my fingers were too slow. Both IK and now KC have bested my typing speed. Thank goodness WW is a member here [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 04-04-2006).]

- winoweenie - 04-04-2006

WHAAAATTT??? Did summ-un ast a question? WW

- Kcwhippet - 04-04-2006

Got the hiccups, Verne?

- winoweenie - 04-05-2006

Have no ideer what happened. All excesses have been deleted. WW