WineBoard
2000 wine that can age - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 wine that can age (/thread-18872.html)

- nfike - 10-04-2001

I would like to purchase a bottle of 2000 wine for a friend. They were married last year and my friend stated that she had purchased a bottle of wine that she intended to open on their 25th anniversary. Though I don't know a great deal about aging wines, this was a sweet white (I believe niagara) that I am fairly certain is not intended for aging.

I am mainly interested in a wine that will mature in 25 years. It definitely does not need to be drinkable now. As a person's taste in wine is likely to change a great deal over 25 years, I'm not too concerned as to the kind of wine. I'm mainly looking for something that is a safe bet to be ready to drink on their 25th anniversary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, any storage tips would be helpful as well. My friend has a basement, and I intended to suggest that she keep it in a cupboard within the basement. Out of light, and cool.

Thanks much!

-Noah

- Innkeeper - 10-04-2001

Hi Nfike, and welcome to the Wine Board. No 2000 that will age 25 years has been released yet. You best bet is a Brunello Di Montalcino. The 2000's will be released in 2005, and it will cost you upwards of $50.00. It is a red wine. If you want a white you will need a Sauternes. Some of those are out now, but the better ones will be released over the next five years. A Sauternes will run more than the Brunello in cost.

- nfike - 10-04-2001

Thanks for the suggestions, Innkeeper. I did a little poking around and I think I'll go with the Sauternes. I can't find any 2000, but noticed some highly rated 1997s (year they met... still has meaning for them). I'm going to go ahead and go with the 1997 Chateau Suduiraut Sauternes.

Just out of further curiousity, how does a Sauternes change as it ages. Does it become sweeter, less acidic? Also, in terms of sweetness, how does a Sauternes compare to a late harvest or ice wine reisling?

Thanks again for the advice!

-noah

- Innkeeper - 10-04-2001

You can get a 2000 Chateau Suduiraut Sauternes from Pop's Wines & Spirits (www.popswine.com) for a "price to be detemined." This means if not available right now, it will be soon. The 1999 was $31.68. This is not a top rung Sauternes. It will probably muddle through the 25 years if stored properly, but don't know how memorable it will be at that point.

- nfike - 10-04-2001

I was looking at the 1997 on www.wineaccess.com.

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/calvertwoodley/ecommerce/product.html?product_id=265000&retailer_id=119827

It looks like it got pretty good reviews.

However, I'm just learning as I go here. Do you have any recommendations for a higher quality Sauternes? Perhaps a better vineyard or a better year?

Thanks again.

-noah

- mrdutton - 10-04-2001

Nfike, welcome to the wine board!

I think you may have missed one of IK's suggestions. Before you buy this one bottle of wine for your friends to open 25 years from now, you have to consider storage.

If they do not have the facility to properly store the wine in a cool (about 52 F), dark, slightly humid space for the next 25 years then you'll be wasting your money, and your intent.

Because, if the wine you purchase has the aging potential for 25 years, but it is not stored correctly, when it is opened it will be awful plonk or even vinegar.

- winoweenie - 10-04-2001

Hey Nfike welcome to the board. I think you should wait for the 2000 Bordeaux and get them a super bottling of either a 3rd or 4th growth. Lots of these beauties will go (with proper provenance) the distance. I've had lots of Sauternes that were 25+ but the problem is the drinking event is limited by the sweetness. A great aged Bordeaux will give them lots more latitude deciding when and where to open it. WW

- hotwine - 10-05-2001

WW's hit on my problem with Sauternes. They're beautifully made, even masterpieces, but have such limited application to the average evening meal that they're just not worth the trouble and expense to serve them. I put 'em in the same category as very expensive automobiles, to which I say Thanks, but I'm not interested. (I prefer a pick-up, anyway.)