WineBoard
What are some good Mother's Day BBQ Wines? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What are some good Mother's Day BBQ Wines? (/thread-18744.html)

- Cowboyin Blake - 05-04-2005

Ok. Family is having a big Mother's Day BBQ...and i wanted to bring them so French Red's and maybe a dessert wine as well... what are the suggestions out there? (in the cheapy to middle price range would be great)

- Cowboyin Blake - 05-04-2005

Sorry for the mispelling... i meant "some French wine" not "so French wine"

- hotwine - 05-04-2005

Wines that are both "cheapy" and "French" are pretty much things of the past, given the exchange rate of the dollar vs the euro. And given the vagaries of exporters' distributions, a specific recommendation would probably lead you on a wild goose chase. A Rhone red would go with BBQ; they typically contain Syrah, Grenache and Mourvedre, as a minimum. Or any of those varietals alone would also work with 'Q. Or you could opt for a Zinfandel from CA (none are made in France). For a dessert wine, the cheapest I've seen was a Sauternes at Costco, and it was about $17 for a quarter-bottle; that's stuff's not cheap at all, and you only get about four very small glasses from each little bottle.

- wondersofwine - 05-04-2005

If the dessert wine doesn't have to be French, here are some other options:
a German Riesling such as Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese (or a 2003 Spatlese which may be as sweet as a normal Auslese and less expensive), a Bonny Doon Vin de Glacier Muscat, another California Muscat or late harvest Riesling. I also like an Italian red sparkling wine, Banfi Rosa Regale, which tastes like strawberries and raspberries (usually under $20). In general, it appeals especially to women, so the mothers might like it for Mother's Day.

- Innkeeper - 05-04-2005

I would go with either a big California Zinfandel or a lusty Argentine Malbec. A Maury from the Rousssillon District of Southern France would make a fun dessert wine.

- wineguruchgo - 05-04-2005

Another, off the wall suggestion for BBQ is bubbly. It goes really well with BBQ! Great way to start a meal and boy will Mom feel special.

Cava from Frexinet is pretty inexpensive and fun to drink!

- TigerLily - 05-07-2005

I just tried (tonight) Little Penguin Merlot..it is excellent! and I am usally a white wine fan...but this Merlot is so good. I even called my dad and told him about! I am going to pick up a bottle tomorrow on the way to my parent's house for Mother's Day (and my Dad's b-day is on the same day this year)...can't wait to share this new find with my dad! I am impressed! cheers! Tari

- winoweenie - 05-08-2005

Hi Tari and welcome to the board. Your Dad and my CB have the same birthday. She was also born on Mothers day so it seems we have this double celebration quite often. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 05-08-2005).]