WineBoard
A red with less bite. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: A red with less bite. (/thread-18320.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Innkeeper - 02-20-2002

Fully concur with Roberto about the Salvalai Vino di Ripasso MONILE 1998, Veneto. Bought three of these from him; sending two home with a mixed case and consuming the third in our hotel home. This wine is an unbelievable value at $14. If you don't know what a Ripasso is, which we didn't before walking into WineExpo on Feb 13, it is a corvino based wine made this way. They take a regularly fermented Valpolicella and run it through a second fermentation on the pomace of an Amorone. It makes an easily quaffable full bodied, reasonably priced, red that goes with steak, game, sausages, and things of that ilk. Go for it newbies and ole timers.

- txkajun - 02-20-2002

IK!!! You're back!!!

- CaptainWino - 03-08-2002

Honestly,, Heritage Vinyards, Cabernet Sauvignon isn't bad. It's cheap too. I like it anyway. It's got bite but not as sharp as some others. It's cheap enough that if ya don't like it you can let the dog go ahead & drink it & you won't feel guilty.

- CaptainWino - 03-08-2002

Another good idea would be to make her drink a shot of Wild Turkey (101) before giving her a dry wine. It works. Trust me.

- Botafogo - 03-09-2002

Yo, Cap'n, I like your style! Very good suggestion about contrast with the Bourbon!!!!

Roberto

- ExpatFoodie - 03-17-2002

At the risk of insulting someone's knowledge of women, if she's not a fan of wines with anything resembling bite, my guess is that she probably doesn't want to shoot bourbon prior to drinking a bottle with her beau. Not to mention, that "Hey honey, I thought we'd have a bottle of wine with dinner tonight." is not well followed by "So, howsabout a bourbon apertif?"

Though I must agree on the Valpolicella region as being a good area for the wines you're looking for. I live about 20 minutes away, and the girls here seem to love the stuff.

- NEWBIEWINELOVER - 03-17-2002

I'm new to wine. I just started at a Olive Garden. And I love white wines. But I was looking for a red wine with not much bite. I found it at the Olive Garden, it's Lambrusco, Riunite. It's a light bodied, semi-sweet, refreshen wine. It's a GREAT wine to start with the reds.

- vinman - 03-17-2002

Wow! Same problem with me! But...here are a couple of reds that she really enjoys that will not break the bank:
J. Lohr Monterey Valdiquie and Villa Mt. Eden Pinot Noir. Skipped the vintages 'cuz both wines seem to be consistent, regardless of the year. Each is an example of a youthful red, without tannins, and soft on the palate, yet with enough juice to create some smiles, partnered with proper food!
Cheap and available.

- CaptainWino - 03-30-2002

Beware The Tarantula!!!!

- cdrmiller - 03-31-2002

Supprised noby mentioned Bardolino. Lighter even than Valpolicella and available everywhere. Even the supermarket Bolla brand is drinkable.

- BeachBeancounter - 04-03-2002

I'm no expert but a nice Merlot is a good mild red. Try Talus '99 - it's cheap and doesn't have much of a bite.