WineBoard
A red with less bite. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: A red with less bite. (/thread-18320.html)

Pages: 1 2

- visionsof - 02-11-2002

I really enjoy a good red wine, especially one with a bit of a bite to it. So much that that first taste almost makes you wince. My fiancé on the other hand is more of a white fan, she doesn't like the strong taste of red. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on a mild tasting red wine that she might enjoy.
Thanks.
J

- Kcwhippet - 02-11-2002

I'm not sure I'd really enjoy a wine that made me wince. Which wines are you referring to?

- wondersofwine - 02-11-2002

A frequent suggestion to start winning over
white wine or white zinfandel drinkers to reds is Beaujolais. You could start with a plain Beaujolais or Beaujolais-Village but I prefer the Beaujolais cru from particular vicinities such as Fleurie, Moulin-a-Vent, or Chirouble. A fruity zinfandel or shiraz might also win favor.

- Botafogo - 02-11-2002

Repeat after me:

Ripasso Valpolicella! From our current newsletter:

We’ve got so much love for you it’ll take two weeks to tell you about it. Just in from Verona (the home of Romeo and Juliet, you know):

Guys, we know YOU are obsessed with the big, brawny, built to win tastings and structured for aging wines of the Northwest like Brunello, Barolo and such. BUT, we can guarantee you those are just going to get you the cold shoulder if you pull them out for Valentine’s Day dinner. Speaking from experience (more than 70% of our clientele is female) we can tell you that no other zone punches the right buttons of the fairer sex than the soft, seductive, envelopingly smooth reds of Valpolicella, most specifically Ripassos and Amarones. We’ve done the research, you reap the rewards, who loves you Babe?

Salvalai Vino di Ripasso MONILE 1998, Veneto
Our largest selling red in this price range, soft, smooth, compare with Pinots at Biggu$ Bucku$.

Nicolis Valpolicella Classico Superiore Ripasso SECAL 1998, Veneto
Richer, fuller, starting to show some real Amarone type textures.

Nicolas Vino Veronese TESTAL 1997, Veneto
We have had two different customers CRY when we were out of this (one had driven from the South Bay to get it for her wedding anniversary). Very possibly physically addictive, use discretion.

Nicolas Amarone Classico AMBROSAN 1997, Veneto
The name says it all: Ambrosia!

- winoweenie - 02-11-2002

Hi Visionsof and welcome to the board, as none of the boors preceeding me were cordial. All have given good advice. Another good bet is a light pinot noir like from Sanford. WW

- Botafogo - 02-11-2002

Verne, I can't think of anything MORE cordial than giving a fellow travelor good advice on how to help his squeeze get her groove on. But then I'm a card carrying anarchist pagan. Happy Frigging Carnival!!!!!!

- visionsof - 02-12-2002

Thanks for the greeting all and the great advice.

As for the card carrying pagan, all I'll sum it up in one word... "EGADS!"

I'll certainly try to hunt down the selections suggest by you all. Sadly I'm sort of stuck in the heart of the mid-west and which is not know for it wide selection of wines.

-J

- Botafogo - 02-12-2002

You should be abel to find Ripassos by Zenato almost anywhere....

- winoweenie - 02-12-2002

Welcome back Ole Lecherous Reprobate. I see you finally moved Carnival'back to the streets from whenced it cometh. I'll try to get up later in the month. WW (verne)

- grits - 02-12-2002

Try Santa Christina Sangiovese 2000 - from Antinori in Italy - really smooth - if I can find it in alabama, you will find it anywhere.

- Duane Meissner - 02-13-2002

bought a Ripassa Valpolicella by Zenato today at approx. $15. Looking forward to trying it. Your description seems to fit what I'm looking for. We'll see what happens!

DM

- Thomas - 02-13-2002

Oh well, I'll get into the act. Look for Valpolicella by Pasqua; 1997. Fine stuff. It probably won't be easy to find, but then think of how you can use the fact that you searched long and hard to make her happy...

- Josh - 02-14-2002

My wife an I are the same boat. However, when we were at Olive Garden last week, we had a '99 Mondavi cab that was absolutely wonderful. She loved it as well. Not much bite. Almost buttery. Very tasty.

- winoweenie - 02-15-2002

Hi Josh from Minn and welcome to the board. Don't know how to say this but there's already a Josh on the board from Phoenix. Jackie and Bucko, I didn't realize we could duplicate monicers? WW

- visionsof - 02-15-2002

Well, I did have a taste for a "Tour of Italy" I might have to pay my local Olive Garden a visit. Thanks.

-J

- Botafogo - 02-15-2002

Don't take this the wrong way as I live in a haven of cucina italiana BUT the standard body slam / kiss of death remark of both press reviewers and civilians here about a bad experience at a local trattoria or ristorante is "Even the Olive Garden could have done better"....

I don't know from Ashland OH but in the Twin Cities there have GOT to be real italian restaurants, yes?

Roberto (surprised Foodie didn't beat me to this)

- Thomas - 02-16-2002

..I am mellowing in my dotage...

- visionsof - 02-16-2002

Sadly, any type of ethnic food (in this case "ethnic" mean anything besides he local Burger King) is far from authentic. It grieves me to say that Olive Garden is the closest thing to an authentic Italian meal that have here. Where I live is only a stones throw away from both Cleveland and Columbus, which is where we have to venture to find anything even mildly palatable ;-)

-J

- mrdutton - 02-18-2002

Welcome to Globalization...... yuck!

- Josh - 02-20-2002

Just to clarify.I was not advocating the Olive Garden nor the cuisine. I was only helping this fine fellow with the wine. Perhaps it only tasted better against second rate fare.