WineBoard
wine pairing (recipie inside) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: wine pairing (recipie inside) (/thread-18291.html)

- aetre - 02-23-2004

okay, this is SHRIMP, and I'm terrified. I have to get a good wine for this that is not what I've had already.

okay:

its a PESTO recipie. pasta, shrimp, mushrooms, garlic, sauteed. I also want to shred or add a sweet HOT pepper or two because I want spicy spicy today (I'm a smoker, need the heat)

oh yeah, appetizer (or side) orange mayonnaise dip for steamed asparagus, I hope that doesn't make pairing impossible as its her favorite dish

oh, and my MIGHT not have enough money for shrimp today, so in that case it would definately be chicken, if that makes a difference? =)

thanks to all that apply

------------------
the best things in life take most of life to accomplish.

- Innkeeper - 02-23-2004

Sauvignon Blanc, preferably an Italian one such as those from Alto Adige. In a pinch, any SB will do.

- aetre - 02-23-2004

thanks innkeeper! do you have a brand to recommend (only have the K-J under my belt for that) (less than $10?)

EDIT: duh, you did...I tend to pass over non-english words and names when I'm reading, and don't remember doing it =)

also any other kinds that work good?

------------------

[This message has been edited by aetre (edited 02-23-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 02-23-2004

Lageder is a good brand from there, and under $10.

- aetre - 02-25-2004

hey I bought pizza for my father the other day, stopped by premier wines (thanks Q) and picked up a bottle of Barbera. I could not find ANY brands that were mentioned in the other thread, but the point of this was, pizza + barbera = simply astounding. the pizza wasn't even that good, but I was nibbling it just to taste the wine right afterwards. I don't think I could drink barbera without food or on a daily basis, but I will make it a POINT to try a different brand every time I have acidic sauces.

and now its PERFECTLY obvious why chardonnay was terrible with my meat sauce. If I had barbera then, I would have done the victory dance all around the table for experiencing such taste without dropping $40 at a restaurant.

thanks for the selections, I'm running with them!

EDIT: the brand of the barbera was 'something' D'Asti (as opposed to D'Alba I guess) Superiore, 1998. Cream label with red letters, small rectangle picture on it (sry I'm at work)

MORE EDIT:
1998 Cantine Sant’ Agata Barbera d’Asti Superiore $11.99
------------------

[This message has been edited by aetre (edited 02-25-2004).]

[This message has been edited by aetre (edited 02-25-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 02-25-2004

Alba and Asti are both noted Barbera districts in Italy so it sounds like you did fine. I admire your enthusiasm!

- aetre - 02-25-2004

thanks wonders, which barbera do you prefer? is the D'Alba as intense as D'Asti?

and I assume the cabernet's are NOT as intense right?

- Innkeeper - 02-25-2004

Not sure what you mean by intense. The Alba is usually bigger than the Asti, but not always. Price is a better yardstick; with the lighter ones being less expensive. Based on price, yours was a light one. I like them that way particulaly with pizza or pasta. Again, just as a general rule of thumb, you will probably find cabernet more intense than barbera.

- aetre - 02-26-2004

I think I mean the acidity, the way it hits your mouth more than kind of 'fill up' ....I don't know how to describe these feelings yet....but I have yet to taste cabernet, so I will give that a try tomorrow at the tasting

(and if price constitutes 'bigger' generally, and I really did have a light one, I can't wait to try more)

- Innkeeper - 02-26-2004

Barbera is more acidic than cabernet. That is what makes barbera a tomato sauce wine, and cabernet a steak wine.

- wondersofwine - 02-26-2004

Thanks, IK for answering because I really don't know Barbera--only that it is associated with both Alba and Asti.