WineBoard
I wish I could bring back more than 2 bottles - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I wish I could bring back more than 2 bottles (/thread-17653.html)

- TheEngineer - 03-07-2005

I walked into a rather large LCBO store in Ottawa and walked across a few boxes of 2000 FontanaFredda Barolo selling for....$25 USD per 750 ml bottle.....

Man I wish I was not limited to 2 bottles to bring back to the US. I also picked up what was a 1/2 bottle of Boytris affected Riesling. It will be interesting to see this against the standard Riesling Icewines.

- hotwine - 03-08-2005

The two-bottle limit is for duty-free status, no? You can bring back as much as you wish, as I understand it, provided you declare the wines and pay customs duty on the "excess" quantity - the amount in excess of two bottles. We're talking nickles & dimes, maybe a buck per bottle? Something like that. Check with IK, CCK, Foodie, Bucko,... all live fairly close to the Canadian border.

- Thomas - 03-08-2005

Hotwine is correct. I'll tell you something else, everytime I have crossed the border declaring a case or more between my wife and I, the customs people just waved me on. It is nickels and dimes at that level and is not worth the time and paperwork for the agents.

Just declare it and don't overdo the volume.

- TheEngineer - 03-08-2005

Many thanks! I did not know that......I'm gonna have to go back.....

- Zinner - 03-09-2005

It seems to me that bringing wine out of Canada is not a problem.

Just be careful if you ever try to take wine in. The duty crossing the border in that direction is horrendous.

Sometimes you might get a nice agent, but it's by chance. A wine writer friend and I were on the way to a festival in the Okanagan (sp?) area and had a bunch of wine with us, some of which we hoped to drink with pals there. We got a jerk of an agent and the duty he wanted was almost more than some of the wine was worth.

We had just stopped at a nice gourmet coffee shop in a border town and chatted with the owner, so we drove back there and she kept the surplus wine for us.

The agent couldn't believe we had left all that wine. "Was she a good friend of yours," he asked. "What if she drinks your wine!"

We told him we preferred to let her drink it to getting ripped off. We bought all the wine we wanted to in Canada...no trouble coming back into the USA. And of course, our wine was well kept at the shop, so we rewarded the owner with some bottles we thought she would like.

- TheEngineer - 03-09-2005

Great story!...Thanks and I've certainly been on the end of nasty agents on both end....reminds me of the time that someone I know tried to walk across the Customs line at JFK with an uncovered entire leg of Jamon Serrano on her shoulders like a baseball bat ...suffice to say...she did not make it.... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 03-09-2005).]

- Zinner - 03-09-2005

Well, I haven't tried to bring back a ham though I have been tempted. That stuff is delicious. I did bring back some pate in cans from France in the midst of the mad cow scare and the agents were crazed at the idea that it might be beef. I just showed them the cute drawings of bunnies and geese on the labels and they were okay with it.

I also brought a whole salmon back fromt Seattle one time. I thought I was picking out a tiny one that would fit in my luggage, but when they put all the dry ice and wrapping on it, it pretty much had to get swung over my shoulder like a baseball bat. At least it was wrapped.

- chittychattykathy - 03-09-2005

I always just answer with the words "we bought some wine..." best if you start by listing everything you bought-- they get bored and move on to other ?'s!
[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- buradayam - 03-25-2005

Sorry for this offtopic post but couldnt resist. Canadian border guards stopped me at the airport sevl years ago and wanted me to pay duty on posters I was bringing in to display at a convention, and to give out to passersby. They were shocked that I gave in to the demand to 'leave them to the Queen' rather than pay duty on em.

- wineguruchgo - 03-25-2005

Since we are going off topic here...here's another one.

I was traveling for work from Chicago to Detroit. I was carrying wine with me which is no big deal. I had six bottles in my wine bag and was very conscious not to have my wine opener in the pocket.

I go through the scanner and hear the security agent calling into his agent (at an excited state) "Get the Captain, Get the Captain!". I'm just standing there, pretty confused mind you.

Captain comes over and unbeknownst to me, I had a box of wine openers (a dozen) in the bottom of the bag. I started laughing. The Captain asked me why I had them and I handed him my business card which stated that I was in the business. The little security guard had promotions, citations, hero status coming his way I'm sure (in his own mind). He is getting ready to "take me in" when the Captain said "So if I want to order a nice, light bodied red wine in a restaurant what would I order". The security guards bubble is now gone. He's no longer a hero. I went into my briefcase and handed him a fact sheet for Pinot Noir and told him that any producer would do.

They kept the openers and I made my flight with the wine.

LOL!

- TheEngineer - 03-25-2005

LOL!!

Glad the captain had better senses!