WineBoard
Shocking discovery in Atlanta . . . - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Favorite Wine Stores (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: Shocking discovery in Atlanta . . . (/thread-15404.html)

- dananne - 11-11-2006

Over the years, Anne and I have been to just about every wine shop in the metro Atlanta area, and I thought we knew all the gems. However, today we walked into one particular Kroger grocery store (for Atlanta folks, it's the store on Monroe in Midtown near Ansley Mall) to do some quick shopping, and we were stunned. Not only does the store have a quality and selection unheard of for a grocery store, the overall selection is one of the largest I've seen in this market, specialty wine stores included. They have unbelievable stuff that I thought was unavailable here. I mean, just as an example, their selection of Pinot Noir was so good that they had almost every small Oregon and Cali producer, including so many gems that are unique to the market that I almost passed out. In fact, they probably had a better selction than we found while actually touring Oregon wine country this summer. I was in wine-geek heaven, and in a grocery store, no less. I walked out with stuff from White Rose, Dusky Goose (the small Lynn Penner-Ash project), Soter, etc. In addition, they had outrageous deals -- single vineyard Terre Rouge Syrahs for $20, McCrae Syrah for $30, different Hensche Cab and Syrah wines under $30, etc. -- some stuff at half-off their usual retail price. The only thing I can think of is that they have bulk buying power, so can sell for slimmer margins. Needless to say, we'll be back. For price and selection, perhaps the best place for wine in Atlanta. I strongly recommend it if anyone is in the Atlanta area or just passing through.

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 11-11-2006).]

- winoweenie - 11-12-2006

My goodness-gracious-sakes-alive what a find. I'll have to tell my Atlanta buddies about this jernt altho they would probably wouldn't recognize one single producer. WW

- dananne - 11-12-2006

They'd probably recognize the lineup of about 12 Siduri single vineyard bottlings over multiple vintages, or some value St. Estephe Bordeaux like, for example, '98 Chateau Calon Segur at $30. Just thinking about it, I can't believe I didn't walk out of there with a truckload. Anne showed admirable restraint, as well. That doesn't mean, though, that I won't take my time next weekend. I'd be back today if not for the no sales on Sunday laws. Stupid Georgia laws.

- dananne - 11-18-2006

Anne went back today for another look-see, and she came home with additional bottles of White Rose Pinot Noir, the '03 Michelle, which was likely our favorite wine from the August romp through the Willamette Valley. Better still, the price was $11 less per-bottle than we spent on it at the winery. In addition, she raided the sales shelf and found an '02 Merlot from Abacela, one of my favorite wineries. It was all of $8. Amazing. I just can't believe the huge selection, the incredibly low prices, and the rare gems that just can't be found in this market. All this at a grocery store! I'm still tickled pink.

- TheEngineer - 11-19-2006

wow.....I gotta find a client in Atlanta...then I'll be able to travel down

- winoweenie - 11-19-2006

I've notified 4 of my wine drinkin' buddies about your gem. I thank you for them. Atta-Boy Danbabe. WW

- cpurvis - 11-21-2006

"an '02 merlot from Abacela...$8" ??!! Good heavens!! ... can you ship to California? ;-) That's 1/3 retail! Based on your other finds there, sounds like you've found the 'needle in a haystack' grocery store w/ an educated buyer.

C