WineBoard
Santa Barbara County trip - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Santa Barbara County trip (/thread-15299.html)

- wondersofwine - 10-23-2008

Nice weather throughout--somewhat warmer than forecast though we had some cool mornings and evenings.
On Oct. 16th, a Thursday, I drove from Oxnard to Santa Barbara and on to Solvang. I stopped in Santa Barbara to visit the Carr Vineyard tasting room where I purchased two bottles of their Pinot Gris and one bottle of Pinot Noir. I would have visited the Jaffurs tasting room but it was not open on Thursday.

Friday after a night at the Storybook Inn Bed and Breakfast in Solvang, I collected pastries at a Danish bakery for a late lunch and headed out to Kenneth Volk Vineyards. I tried the Santa Maria Cuvee Pinot Noir, the Sierra Madre P.N. and Garey Vineyard P.N. (local vineyard not Garys' Vineyard in Santa Lucia Highlands.). All the Pinots were over 14% alcohol. Fortunately, I liked the least expensive one best and bought a bottle of the Santa Maria Cuvee for $26 plus tax. I also like the Negrette (a grape variety from Southwestern France that is sometimes called Pinot St. George in California.) I tried the Kenneth Volk Merlot and Syrah and liked the Syrah (that's what my notes say anyway but I don't see Syrah mentioned on their website. I have in my notes possibly from Nielsen Vineyard?)

Was looking for Foxen Vineyard on the same road to try their unoaked Chardonnay (and a retailer in Solvang recommended their Chenin Blanc) but must have driven past it twice. Someone at Fess Parker said it is a barn and can be easily overlooked. Ended up next at Fess Parker Winery where I was not thrilled with the Ashley Vineyard's Pinot Noir (but have liked a Fess Parker P.N. purchased at the groceery store.) The off-dry Riesling was rather nice and good QPR at $14. I tried two Syrahs, Santa Barbara County at $25 and Big Easy--bolder, more expensive, over 16% alcohol--and didn't like it as well as the cheaper one. I didn't picked up on the "grilled meat" in the description of the Big Easy Syrah but maybe did sense some "smoke."
Next stop was Firestone Vineyard where I had the 2006 Chardonnay, Santa Rita Hills, the 2007 Gewurztraminer, Santa Ynez Valley (citrus including pink grapefruit, didn't really find the nutmeg or other spices), the 2006 Pinot Noir (very cherry like with medium rose color and viscosity), and the 2005 Late Harvest Riesling (honeysuckle nose, medium to deep gold color with transparency, honey tastes, botrytis?, ripe peach or apricot.) I didn't purchase anything there but the pourer waived the $10 tasting fee because I didn't try all the wines they were pouring and didn't want a souvenir glass. (Most of the wineries charged $8 or $10 for a tasting.)

On Friday I also stopped at the Tasting Room in Los Olivos. Pinot Noirs I tried included the 2006 Stephen Ross Edna Valley, the 2006 Jack Creek, and the 2006 Flying Goat Rancho Santa Rosa Pinot Noir. I liked the Flying Goat best of the three (14.6% alcohol.) I also tried the 2006 Jaffurs Petite Sirah, Thompson Vineyard.

Dinner that night was at the Los Olivos Cafe and Wine Merchant (featured in the movie "Sideways") where I enjoed a Melville Pinot Noir with permeating cherry bouquet and flavors, smooth drinking with a little pepper on the finish--a medium-bodied P.N. I had a pumpkin pappardella special with porcini mushrooms, red wine jus, sage seasoning and Parmesan cheese shavings and also an artisan cheese plate including pecorino olive (cheese with olive stuffing.)

Saturday I visited wineries around Lompoc (staying in Lompoc Friday and Saturday nights.) First Kathy Joseph's Fiddlehead tasting room where a limousine group (bridal party?) of about seven women pretty much took over the small tasting room. I was going to buy a bottle of the Oldsville Reserve Cuvee Pinot Noir (from a blend of Oregon grapes). I prefered this to the Fiddlestix P.N. from California. However, I misread the price on the tasting list--it was for a 375 ml. bottle which was sold out and the 750 ml. bottle was more than I wanted to pay (about $50) I also tasted a Sweetie (Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc) and the pourer offered a taste of a 1996 Fiddlestix Pinot Noir which was interesting in comparison to the new wines.

(to be continued)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-23-2008).]

- Innkeeper - 10-23-2008

Brings back many memories. That's my ole stomping grounds during visits to Vandenburg. Love Solvang, and even managed to get Bev there once.

- TheEngineer - 10-24-2008

Great notes WoW!

- winoweenie - 10-24-2008

Brings back meeny good memories. Used to make the trip from here to Napa 6 times yearly to pickup juice and planned to stop somewhere in the area. Had good friends in Santa Barbara sousually stopped there on the way out and somewhere further up on the way back. Knew the area like my back yard but in the last 10 since getting shipments sent either here or to Vintage in San Diego have lost track. Really miss the area but not the almost 2000 miles in the car. WW