WineBoard
Request Info: 1st time visit to CA wine country - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Request Info: 1st time visit to CA wine country (/thread-15183.html)

- Jodi - 01-02-2001

My husband and I are planning a first trip to Northern California for this April, and aren't sure quite where to start. We plan to spend a couple days/nights in either Sonoma or Napa County, stay in a B&B, and tour/taste several vineyards. We are not wine experts, but love wine (typically enjoy Cab. Sauv. & Chardonnay, and avoid spending more than about $10/bottle). We'd appreciate any suggestions about the basics: Napa or Sonoma (and can you stay in one but reasonably "do" both in 2-3 days?)? How many vineyards is it reasonable to visit in one day? Are there certain vineyards that we should try not to miss (e.g., particularly scenic or informative, and/or where we could taste great wines that are not commonly available outside of the area)? Is there a specific area within one of the counties that has a particularly high concentration of vineyards worth visiting? Any specific books or web sites you'd recommend? Thanks in advance for any help!

- cpurvis - 01-04-2001

Well, you asked about a whole book's worth of questions there! Here's the short of it:
1)Napa v. Sonoma: Napa is more commercialized & tour-crowded. Silverado Trail in Napa isn't as bad as the main highway. Plus, April should be a good time to go. Napa would be better for cab. sav.

However, IMHO, buy Napa wines in a store & tour Sonoma. I prefer Sonoma for a more relaxed tour, plus the towns of Sonoma, Healdsburg & Geyserville are very nice.
Northern Sonoma is packed w/ wineries, so you won't be driving far.

IMO, if you have 3 days, then do Day 1 in Napa & Days 2&3 in Sonoma..you will go home more relaxed.

2)There are several books on touring, but you can probably plan your vacation from one website alone: http://www.winecountry.com/
It includes maps, descriptions, wines, lodging, etc.

3)Re: how many wineries in a day? Depends on whether you are truly tasting (e.g. taste & spit) or tasting/drinking. If the former, then do as many as comfortable. If the latter, then limit yourself & see sites in between.

Have a great trip! cp

[This message has been edited by cpurvis (edited 01-04-2001).]

- winoweenie - 01-05-2001

Hi Jodi and welcome to the board. I`m leaving on a small trip but will get back to you next week-end on personal preferences and B&B`s , restaurants etc. You`ll have a ball. winoweenie

- winoweenie - 01-13-2001

Hi Jodi.Here`s my ideas for 1st time visitors to the vallies. I`m not personally acquanted with any of the B&B`s as I stay with friends there but friends of mine have stayed and highly reccommend the Wine Country Inn In St. Helena. Even tho Napa is far more travelled than Sonoma, I think you`ll be able to get more done in the short period of time by staying in Napa. There are several of the great wineries close by; Merryvale, Beringer, Mondavi, B.V. and some super smaller ones like Cakebread , Spottswood, And Freemark Abbey that generally welcome visitors. There are also IMHO some of the best restaurants clustered in St. Helena. Terra, Brava Terrace ( In the Freemark Abbey Plaza and a hop-skip-and-jump from Beringer, Krug, and Markham) Tra Vigne, Paris Parkside Cafe, and the famous old Greystone Restaurant that now serves as a training ground for culinary students. Across the hiway from Brava Terrace is teh beautiful old mansion housing St. Clement and its newly opened tasting room. Calistoga is only a few miles up the road and on your right you`ll see the beautiful Sterling Vineyard winery and tasting room which is not to be missed.( Unless you`re afraid to ride in a cable-car.) Calistoga is a fun town to walk and shop. There are many fine restaurants. I like the informality of the All-Seasons Cafe and their super wine list. Wappo Bar and Bistro is relatively new, but a real dining experience. You should go south on 29 and plan on lunch at Domaine Chandon, one of the prettiest and plushest spots in the valley. Mustards Grill is also a popular spot and there are plenty of wineries to sample on the way. Highly reccommend Whitehall Lanes tasting room, Grigich Hills ,Beaulieu, Niebaum-Coppola, Cakebread, Mondavi, Opus One,Far Niente, and Cosintino in that order. Then you`re in Yountville and Dom Chandon. Do half on the way down and the other half going back north. We have now done 2 very intense days. I`d suggest on the 3rd day ( going back to SF or Oakland) cut over to the Silverado Trail and start your day at Joe Phelps beautiful winery. The last 2 I`d suggest are Plumpjack and Groth. You`ll probably be on schedule to leave so drive carefully. Save Sonoma for your next visit. Plan on at least 3 days there as the wineries aren`t as clustered as in Napa and getting around will take up a lot of your time. Again, if you have any further questions E-Mail me. winoweenie Oh, by the way, you wont have to worry about buying any wine at the places you`re going as I just remembered your 10-buck limit.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 01-13-2001).]

- cpurvis - 01-13-2001

Well Jodi, if you choose Napa, then WW certainly has it laid out for you.

However, some of the wineries (esp. Sterling) are so heavily touristed (often 100s of people/day on weekends) that you can be herded through like cattle. So, latch onto a tasting room employee & ask about specifics that interest you. On a very busy day at Sterling in the early '90s, I was provided a private side-by-side tasting of the '85 & '86 reserve cabs (definitely NOT on the official tasting menu) as a result of such a conversation. I've used the same approach elsewhere with gratifying & educational results.

Bon voyage! cp

- winoweenie - 01-13-2001

Jodi, I laid out your visit predicated on your parameter of going in April. This and December(early)are the most laid-back times in Napa. I`ve been a regular since 1974 ( 4-6 times a year) so hope I`ve given you some info that will be of value.WW

- Jodi - 01-15-2001

Thanks for taking the time to provide so much great information! The various respondents' input will help us make the most of our short time in California. I'm so envious of the people who live near there and/or make frequent trips. I'm sure that no matter what we do, we'll be disappointed to have missed many excellent sights, restaurants, and wines.

Before receiving any replies (patience isn't my long suit!) we made a reservation at a B&B called The Napa Inn. So far, they seem like a nice place, and I figure we'll stick with that reservation. But if anyone has any experience or knowledge that would make us want to back out and try a different one, please let me know.

As an aside, recently we've been educating ourselves and experimenting a bit more, and found that we actually really like wines other than Chard & Cab Sauv -- e.g., some Reisling (somewhere, we had gotten the impression that it was something like a cross between White Zin and Bartles & James, but from doing the tasting recommended in Andrea Immer's book we learned that light-bodied doesn't necessarily mean sweet) and Pinot Noir. Also, $10/bottle isn't an absolute cut-off, but we like to drink wine often enough that our budget doesn't allow us to spend more than $7-10 on most bottles we buy.

Thanks again -- I love this website!

- winoweenie - 01-15-2001

Jodi, again velcome. Makes not one whit where-for though stayest in Napa , the main deal is you`re there. If you don`t stray too far from the outline you`ll get your 1st time impression of Napa. Thakes more than a week-end. Do as much in the valley as possible, then next trip go sommers` else. This is a perfect time to go as it`s about as calm as she get. HAVE FUN ! WW