WineBoard
Niagara Region - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Niagara Region (/thread-15171.html)

- TheEngineer - 10-16-2008

I found an afternoon to take off while I was in Toronto and drove the hour or so to get down here. I'll post tasting notes soon but did get to many of the wineries that I had not been to before. Overall, it was an eye opening visit as the wines are much better overall than before. Of course the icewines are solid. The cabernet Sauvignon and Franc icewines were incredible, the dry/off dry Rieslings were fantastic and a lot of the reds were solid. Having said that, other than the icewines, there were very few "exciting" wines. So much money has been spent in the region, beautiful wineries but still some ways to go to make more unique wines.

The wineries visited:

Thirty Bench
Hidden Bench (closed but I took the effort to find it [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] just in a pretty area)
Konzelmann
Strewn
Jackson Triggs
Stratus
Trius / Hillebrand

Quite a bit of work done in an afternoon.

BTW, the area is simply GORGEOUS in the autumn. It was harvest time so the vineyards were full of action, the maple trees in the area were in the full fall regalea. The sky was blue with some moody clouds,...it was just a beautiful afternoon. It was quite as it was mid week. I fully enjoyed myself....perhaps way too much

- winoweenie - 10-16-2008

It's absolutely incredible to me the sacrifices some make to be able to help the less fortunate of us to understand these hard to visit areas and appreciate the fruits they offer. You are truly a man of steel and I for one appreciate the hardships you endure on our behalf. THANKS SO MUCH ENG!!!!!!! ww [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- TheEngineer - 10-16-2008

ty ty ty big [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]!!!

- TheEngineer - 10-17-2008

Chardonnay

2007 Jackson Triggs Chardonnay Reserve, very pale color, nice floral nose, green apple, some tropical fruits, oak is not overpowering.

Rieslings and Gewürztraminer

2007 Thirty Bench Riesling Very pale straw in colour, very pretty, nose of peach pear, and on the palate, medium density of flavours, peach, pear, nice dose of went rock, lifting tartness, very fresh, almost mouth puckering level, high tone acidity. Solid wine but needs food or else you turn into sour puss $18CDN.

2007 Thirty Bench Small Lot Riesling Wood Post Vineyard. Much deeper in colour than the regular blend, light golden. Nose is entirely different, moving towards green apple, tart citrus, minerals. On mouth, a much denser wine, great mouth feel, more round, but still a nice high toned acidity, very fresh but more dear at $30CDN. I bought a bottle as I did like it a lot but would I drink this or would I drink a 2005 JJ Prum regular Riesling Kabinett for $26. No contest for th ePrum. At $15 to $20 it would be more competitive. It’s as good as the Assyrtiko from Domaine Sigalas in Santorini ( I know I’m not comparing same grape) but that one sold on the island for $6 and in the US for $18 - $20.

2006 Konzelmann Gewürztraminer Reserve, Very light pale gold in colour. Raisiny, spicy, hints of lychee, peach, hint off dry. Good again with food. Solid but nothing special

2006 Konzelmann Riesling Reserve. Pale straw in color, Nose of peach and pear. Wine is very dry, good balance, and tastes as it noses, of peach pear and honey. Nice high tone acidity again makes it refreshing. $15 and it is a good buy

2007 Konzelmann Riesling x Traminer, pale straw in colour, very light in nose, very simple, just off dry, fresh. Wine is VERY clean, Bits of pear and citrus, medium finish and refreshing but simple drink. I was surprised as I was hoping that this hybrid which was created on the property, would mix the best of both worlds of Riesling and Gewürztraminer but instead it seemed to do the opposite. Lack in any real intensity of wine experiences and plenty else to drink for the price.

2006 Strewn Two Vines, Gewürztraminer. Was not a fan of this wine. Thin, peppery, stone fruit, shot finish and high acidity put things out of balance

2006 Strewn Riesling dry. Better, dry, per stone fruits, good roundness to wine but short

2007 Stratus Riesling. This was my second fav of the day! Nice pale colour with hint of green apple and citrus. Very focused wine in a euro style versus there Niagara region Riesling. Great balance, very refreshing, a touch simple but very focused.

2006 Hillenbrand Riesling, Deeper and fuller than many others today. Peach, high acidity, green apples and a nice good grip on the wine.

Red Blends / Meritage

2006 Thirty Bench Red, Very aromatic nose, perfumey woods, slightly off dry, smoky red fruit, tobacco. Noticeably high level of acidity. Nice drink but at $22CDN, would not be able to compete in the US Market.

2007 Strewn 3 Terroir Barrel Sample Blend, 43% cabernet Sauvignon, 39% Merlot and rest consists of Cabernet Franc and remaining in other varieties (cabernet Sauvignon)

2005 Stratus Red. Very elegant nose, great potential for balance. On nose and palate, hint of pencil shavings, oaks that had not yet been resolved, ripe red fruits, medium tannic.

Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Francs and Merlots

2006 Thirty Bench Cabernet Franc. Very nicely balanced wine, good red fruit, bell pepper, spices, bit herbal, black tea good high level of acidity again but balanced by tannins. $?? Not sure but winery only I think

2007 Strewn Cabernet Franc Terrior Barrel Sample. While still a barrel sample, this wine was delicious. It ahs a lushness that Ontario wines are not known for but still retains a nice acidity. Hints of chocolate. It’s as if the Italians grew Cabernet Franc. It like this one a lot but competitve at $29cdn.

2007 Strewn Cabenet Sauvignon Terroir Barrel Sample; Another solid 2007. This one was juicy, rich, lush red and black fruits everywhere but still a nice acidity backbone. Long finish

2007 Strewn Merlot Terroir Barrel Sample, This one is even more lush, nice density of flavours, red ripe fruits, cherries, great mouthfeel. Long finish.

2006 Delany Vineyard Merlot, deep dark color, nose was simple though with ripe red and black fruits,. Remained same on palate. Simple and solid but nothing special.

2002 Hidden Bench, Showtime, Nice color, deep garnet purple. Perfummy woods but not all together. Not all integrated but doing well at the 6 year mark.

2000 Trius Grand Red, nice to use the data to provide additional structure to the class. Very tannic, lacks balance,

Syrahs

2006 Jackson Triggs Syrah Propretor’s Reserve,very lush but medium bodied wine. Great style, nose and taste of strawberries, ripe red fruit, tannic, hint of smokiness, nice value drink

Icewines

2006 Konzelmann Riesling X Traminer Icewine. Now this is more like it. Nose of pure honey, very pretty color of light gold. Wine is very focused, lots of tropical fruit and has a great acidity to keep things light and fresh. Good price at $30 for 375mL

2007 Konzelmann Cabernet Sauvignon Icewine. Yup Cab Sauvignon. This is a rarety even in Ice wine crazy canada. Colour is like a tawny port but what a nose. Pure Ribena Black current drink (after opening up with water), and strawberry jam. It is an incredible wine and my wine of the day. Nice high tone acidity keeps things very fresh. Worth every penny of the $40 for a 200mL bottle.

2004 Jackson Triggs Cabernet Franc Ice wine. Tawny port in color, very sweet, again, common theme today, high toned acidity that kept it refreshing.

2007 Stratus Riesling Icewine – another great icewine! Lighter gear towards moderate drinkers. Nose of Honey, but very pure and clean. None of the vinyl that is often associated with Icewines. Very very pure.

2008 Hillebrand Cabernet Sauvignon, Pure strawberry jam on the nose. Acidity is balancing the rest of the wine.

2004 Showcase barrel Vidal Icewine. – Tawyne Port in color. Nose and palate of over ripe Lychee, and other fruits. I did not particularly care about this one.

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 10-17-2008).]

- Innkeeper - 10-17-2008

Great notes. Thanx.

- wondersofwine - 10-22-2008

I still have a bottle of the Jackson Triggs Cabernet Franc Icewine from a Pinehurst Wine Festival a couple years ago. (I wanted the Riesling Icewine but that was sold out.) I may take the Cabernet Franc to a church fundraiser as one of the dessert wines.

Thanks for the notes. Many I have never tried (or heard about.) I joined a Glenora wine club and received my first shipment this month so will report on them as they are opened.