WineBoard
2001 Tobin James Petite Sirah - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Tobin James Petite Sirah (/thread-14497.html)

- winoweenie - 04-05-2004

Another winner from this fine Paso Robles producer. From the Ranchita Canyon Vineyard this bottling is almost opaque. Black fruits, pepper, and some other sweet spices give the aromatics lots of kock. Deceptively smooth as the wine has a low 13.9% alc. Fine food wine (NY Steak Ka-Bobs.). only fault was a rather short 3 lapper finish. 87/95
(again part of the club shipments)
As IK's preached for years, this is one of the best wine club values in the whole USofA. If you're where they can ship call their toll-free and get your name added. Now's the time as they are just about to fill up and you'll be put on a waiting list.
You get around 250-300 bucks at retail of wine twice yearly for a tiny 100 clams, and the wines are well made for every varietal they produce. WW

- Innkeeper - 04-05-2004

Hadn't planned on popping mine until '09. As a matter of fact have three '98s left slated for '06. Popped one of those early and you can imagine what Buckmeister called me.

- winoweenie - 04-05-2004

IK I've popped all of the club wines so I can decide zactly what the hummers are like. Agree so far all of the reds need some time but don't think I'd go more than another 4-5 on the Petite. Should have my spring stuff this week. Now that they are shipping into me direct I'll be ordering more for cellaring. WW

- Innkeeper - 02-28-2009

We popped our '01 tonight. We gave it an extra year as the '00 still had some unresolved tannin at seven. Alas, this is the last of the Rachita Canyons. In '02 they went with the Black Magic. We're given them seven to begin with.

Getting back to this one. It was heavenly. Still had plenty of fruit to get your attention on the nose and upfront. In the middle was well aged black fruit, fantastic complxity and smooooth tannin in the middle; and a finish that lingered and lingered.

We matched it with roast boneless leg of lamb with plenty of minced rosemary and garlic with the EVOO on the cris crossed top; cannellini well doctored with herbs, roasted red pepper, and sundried tomatoes; and salad with a freshly made dressing.

- Innkeeper - 07-17-2011

we popped the '04 Blanc Magic tonight. It was excellent, but with just a touch of tannin. We forgot to move it up a year. Still nice with grilled rib eye steak over charcoal and mesquite, fresh corn on the cob, and sliced tomato.

Will have to move the others up a year tonight. Incidentally, this thread needs to be moved to the Rhone one, and as so called moderator, I couldn't.

RE: 2001 Tobin James Petite Sirah - Innkeeper - 11-11-2013

Popped the 05 Black Magic PS last night. It was perfectly aged and delicious. We matched it with loin lamb chops grilled over charcoal and black cherry chips. The sides were roasted baby Yukon Golds and sliced tomatoes. Very nice Sunday night repast. Yum!

RE: 2001 Tobin James Petite Sirah - Innkeeper - 06-07-2014

We popped the '06 Black Magic tonight with marinated and charcoaled pieces of lamb, 4 pieces of falafel, and eggplant salad. The wine was perfectly aged, but I had to spit out a mouthful of tannin. I washed it out with watermelon for desert. Yum!