WineBoard
Fox Run Lemberger - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Fox Run Lemberger (/thread-14198.html)

- Innkeeper - 07-26-2004

2002 Fox Run, Finger Lakes, Lemberger ($16.99 at winery). 12% Alcohol. Gives you very dark color on the eye, and very dark berries on the nose and upfront. Comes across the palate with all the above and some spice and tannin. Yet the body is no more than medium despite some claims to the contrary. On the other hand it is definitely not one of the Blush Reds that WW complained about. The finish was splendid. A very, very nice wine that matched well with broiled beef keilbasa, sauteed hash browns, and salad in blue cheese dressing.

I wish the wine cost a couple or three dollars less, but I guess taxes are high in the Finger Lakes.

- glenora - 07-27-2004

IK

I don't believe taxes have much to due with the price of Fox Run's Lemberger. It is most likely due do the limited supply. There are probably only one or two producers of a varietal Lemberger in Finger Lakes Wine Country, and Scott and the crew at Fox Run are taking advantage of that with their pricing.

Fox Run just released their 2002 Meritage--$39.99

- Thomas - 07-27-2004

'sok with me Gene; I am no fan of Lemberger. It has, to me, an almost flat, blandness on the fruit. It emulates pinot noir--but not well enough for my taste.

I did, however, taste the Austrian version of the grape (can't remember what they call it) that I thought far superior to German or North American versions.

As for taxes in NY: maybe not directly related to the price of wine, but certainly related to the price of everything in this rip-off, no budget, do nothing legislative state.

Here's one to think about: few retail businesses ever net the amount of dollars they collect for the state in sales tax.

- Scoop - 07-27-2004

That would be Blaufrankisch, Foodie.

Zweigelt is the other interesting red grape in (mostly) Austria, a cross between BF and the obscure St. Laurent. I wonder how it would fare in the FL...

Cheers,

Scoop

- wondersofwine - 07-27-2004

I've only tried one Blaufrankische wine (at Wallse Restaurant in NYC which features Austrian cuisine and wines), but I went the other way. I prefered the Fox Run Lemberger over the Blaufrankische.

- Kcwhippet - 07-27-2004

Scoop!!! Where ya been??

- Scoop - 08-05-2004

Well, not on-line I guess! Too much off-line reality during the work week of late, and my spare time finds me upstate at my house which has (intentionally) no e-mail, Internet or TV. But times are changing in the country, too: my better half now has a laptop, and she's getting DSL so that she can work more up there, especially during the Republican convention in NY!

Cheers,

Scoop

- Scoop - 08-05-2004

BTW -- and you'll love this Foodie -- the just announced NY Governor's Cup winner for NY State's top wine in 2004 was Rivendell's 2003 Dry Riesling (Rivendell is in the Hudson Valley, near New Paltz), made from grapes from Chateau Lafayette Reneau (Finger Lakes), a previous winner. Was the fix in, or has somebody tried the Rivendell to confirm its worthiness?

On the red side, the Jamesport 2001 Cabernet Franc (North Fork) won best red; Casa Larga (FL) won best dessert, a Vidal ice wine; H. Wiemer(FL) best sparkling (1999 Cuvee Brut); best rose, Chateau Lafayette Reneau Pinot Noir Blanc 2003.

Methinks Glenora did not enter this year.

The Prejean Dry Riesling 2002 won a Double Gold.

But who's counting, right?

Cheers,

Scoop

- Kcwhippet - 08-05-2004

I saw that piece on the Rivendell wine. Seemed a bit farfetched, but sometimes those competitions seem a bit skewed. After all, the 2 Buck Chuck won the double gold back in May.

- Thomas - 08-06-2004

Take it from me guys, wine competitions are about as valid as 100 point scoring. Done too many to have not learned that.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-06-2004).]

- Georgie - 10-05-2004

I finally opened my Fox Run Lemberger and really enjoyed it with a Weight Watcher Chicken Chili dish. I figure the low-cal meal balanced out the wine calories. At least that's what I'm telling myself.