WineBoard
New Beaujolais - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Beaujolais/Gamays/Valdiguie (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: New Beaujolais (/thread-13995.html)

- FAFOTE - 11-19-2002

Where do I find the Nuevo Beaujolais wines

- Kcwhippet - 11-19-2002

You should be able to find them at any of your local wine shops. By French law, the official release date is the third Thursday in November, which is the day after tomorrow. So, you should see an ocean of the stuff arriving at your shops a day or two afterward.

- toddabod - 11-26-2002

I had the 2002 Beajoulais Noveau and it was pretty good.

- winoweenie - 11-27-2002

Hate to be the Devils Advocate but the 02 Noveau SUCKS. Insipid favors, acidic sourness, poor palate impression, and hardly any of the fruit-bomb flavors it should convey. The Frenchies done foisted another scam on the willing 'melican wine scene. Where the blazes was the press on this plonk. Ask the Speculator if Per was on vacation or was he and Marv-baby booging out in Lyon?..WW

- Thomas - 11-27-2002

ww, the press only writes about success, that is how the press keeps getting its freebies.

Did you look at my post about your response, re, American rootstocks and phylloxera in Europe? If not, do. You needed some learnin' on that one, and I gladly provided--under the Novice Forum the "Talbot" thread.

- Innkeeper - 11-27-2002

As a HUGE Beaujolais fan, I'm here to say, the '02 Nouveau is plonk.

- toddabod - 11-27-2002

I guess I am a meer novice, but for 7.99 a bottle, I didn't find it too horrible to drink. My expectations aren't that high for that type of wine, so I found it to be okay. I don't know if I should expect more out of such a common wine, maybe next year it will be better?

- wondersofwine - 11-27-2002

I haven't seen any of the '02 yet--may find it in Charlotte the weekend of 7-8 December. But last year I liked Drouhin's Beaujolais Nouveau better than Georges DuBoeuf's.
What producer have you tried?

- ShortWiner - 11-27-2002

Well you're hardly alone, toddabod. Robin Garr of www.wineloverspage.com is calling this "an unusually good year" for the Noveau.

- Thomas - 11-27-2002

I admit, I don't care for the stuff, but I have to wonder about the hype even more this year, since most of the 2002 crop in Europe has suffered from a particularly nasty vintage.

- hotwine - 11-27-2002

I'm another one who's disappointed in the GD Nouveau. Had one last night and found it lacking in character, very thin and insipid. In past years, have bought as much as three cases, but will not buy more than the one bottle this year, unless to use as gifts to newbies. Tried the Mommessin Nouveau this evening, and found it to have more fruit character than Duboeuf's, but still a weak sister compared to past years. Jaffelin is next, maybe tomorrow night. So far, this stuff seems closer to Jello or Kool-Ade than wine.

- hotwine - 11-29-2002

Trying the Jaffelin now. In the GD style, only thinner, with even less character. Pass. I probably won't bother to finish the bottle, which is normally a cardinal sin in my book. A repast for the gnomes in the septic tank.

- Drew - 12-01-2002

I have never liked Nouveau and won't buy it. I just don't get it....with so many really good wines on the shelves from $6 to $15 why spend the same $ for a novelty?

Drew

- hotwine - 12-01-2002

You've got a good point, Drew. But when it's good, it's a fun quaffer, a real party wine, and so short-lived you've got to enjoy it quickly, before it fades into history. But when it's bad, it's awful. I class this vintage in the latter category. I'll probably buy a few more bottles of the Mommessin to use as gifts, and that will be about it for this year.