WineBoard
Depressed - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Depressed (/thread-13511.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 03-18-2003

One thing I like about this board is that people share feelings about more than wine. Today I had to tell a room full of 8 and 9 year olds that we have to cancel our March 28th trip to the Liberty Science Center in Jersey City because of the impending war and orange alert condition. Try explaining this war to a group of beautiful, innocent kids who have been looking forward to this trip since September. Try picturing another teacher half a world away trying to calm the fears of a roomful of Iraqui kids. It's just not right. I haven't felt this bad since I had to talk to the kids about the WTC. They don't prepare you for this in college. Please pray for us all.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 03-18-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 03-18-2003

I've been praying since November 22, 1963.

- Thomas - 03-18-2003

Georgie, tell the kids what we are being told: we must defy the will of the U.N. so that we can punish those who defy the will of the U.N.

- Bucko - 03-18-2003

I have a lot of problems with all of this myself, especially having served in the first sandbox tour. But I also have faith in our country, know that we told VERY little AFA as intel, and have to place my trust in the elected leaders.

This is the time to get behind our troops and leaders, not to drag them down with protest marches, etc. We re going to war. Pray for the soldiers/sailors/marines/air force and their families. Trust me, the support is warmly welcomed.

- hotwine - 03-19-2003

That it is, Buckster. Sure beats being spat upon, called baby-killer, and handed divorce papers, which was my welcome home from 'Nam in '68. We can debate the wisdom of this 'n that 'til the cows come home, but those in our faithful service deserve nothing less than our full support.

- Innkeeper - 03-19-2003

I didn't get spit on or called anything when I got back from 'Nam. Turns out there was a cabbie from SF who parked behind the terminal at Travis everytime a flight came in. The guy in the seat next to me knew about him, so three of us grabbed our duffels, beat feet out the back door, and were off to SF International before our "fellow citizens" out front knew we were on the ground.

- Auburnwine - 03-19-2003

Georgie, I really empathize with you (you other guys be quiet a minute).

My beautiful and perfect ten year old has been conscious and aware since Oklahoma City. My strategy is to focus with him on all that is good and glorious in the world -- and to appreciate it and celebrate it with him all the more.

In my own life, I do not chew much on world events over which I clearly have no control. And when bad things happen, like kids getting trips cancelled, my own suggestion is to work with the powers that be to quickly develop a Plan B -- which may not be as exciting as a trip to Jersey City, but will really allow the kids to have fun and do cool stuff.

Recruit some parents, grandparents, and college types (check with your county 4-H office) to put on your own celebration of science right there in the school cafeteria: make and decorate airplanes, shoot off rockets in the school yard, bring in some snakes and pet rabbits. You have some great resources right in your own community, I am sure.

If you and your colleagues dwell on fear and disappointment, the kids will focus only on that. Make some "lemonade" with all that money the school saved by not having to travel to Jersey City!

- Georgie - 03-19-2003

I hope we've all grown up enough to realize that the troops need our love and support. NO matter how saddened I am by this decision, I would never be anything less than caring and supportive to the ones have to do the fighting. They are out there for ME.

- Georgie - 03-19-2003

Thanks Auburnwine. That's exactly what we're planning to do next week. Some sort of celebration or fun activity that will make up in a small way for the missed trip. On Veterans Day I had some friends who had lived through World War II come in and talk about how life was different during the war. We spoke about black-out curtains on homes and the big curtains that were raised along the boardwalk to hide the lights from the ships at sea. We spoke about how people couldn't get all the things like sugar or gasoline that they were used to, and how people at home sacrificed for the good of the cause. While this isn't exactly the same kind of sacrifice, I think that the kids understand that during a war daily life is indeed different. I appreciate your understanding that it is hard to deal with children during these troubling times. I just hope that this war over quickly and that something good comes out of it.

- Innkeeper - 03-19-2003

We now have firm proof that the French having been training the Iraqi Army. They are surrendering already.

- hotwine - 03-20-2003

Georgie, I'm sure you don't need reminding that you have an awesome responsibility as a teacher of 8 and 9-year-olds. You actually have more "face time" with those kids than their own parents do, so it's very likely that many/most will adopt your views, and learn your ways of responding to situations that they encounter. Learning how to deal with disappointment would be a most valuable lesson for them.

I'm no doubt preaching to the choir.

- Georgie - 03-20-2003

HW, thank you so much for your thoughts. Thank you for realizing that teachers teach much more than subjects. We teach many values and life skills. We've moved past the disapppointment phase.Now I'm dealing with 23 little nervous souls who are hearing and seeing all sorts of things and intrepretting them in their own ways. Questions about lock downs, staying overnight in school, safe rooms in homes,possible terrorist attacks like 9/11, etc., etc. I did my best to reassure them that their teachers and parents will do whatever is necessary and that the kids needn't worry about it. I did think it would be good for the kids to do something positive in support of the troops.I found "Operation Abby" where we could send e-mail messages to service people. I've no idea when or if these messages will be received, but at least we feel like we did something to help. If anyone else hears of good projects that I could do with the class, I'd love to hear about them!

- hotwine - 03-20-2003

I've heard that Op. Abby works pretty well, and delivers the mail quickly.

When I was in 'Nam, my two nieces were in first and third grades. They decided their classes should send their uncle Christmas cards, and I was swamped with 50 or so. Replied to each one, writing by candle light at night in my little sandbagged bunker. Word got out for Valentine's Day that a soldier would reply, and must have had a couple of hundred V. Day cards. Mercy. Still replied to each one, and continue to chuckle about it with the nieces.

- Georgie - 03-20-2003

God bless you for answering those. That must have meant so much to those kids. I try to teach them that even one person, no matter how small(young)can make a difference.

- hotwine - 03-20-2003

I worried about overlooking one, losing it in the mud, and hurting a young one by failing to respond. Meant a lot to me, though.

Drinkmorewine

- Georgie - 03-20-2003

That was above and beyond, my friend. A letter to the whole class would have been wonderful. But I'm sure that those children will never forget that letter from you. Your response to their little act of kindness helped to plant in them the seed of a caring heart. Ya done good, HW.

- hotwine - 03-20-2003

Aw, shucks, Georgie (shuffle). Thanks. It was fun. Constantly running out of candles, matches, pencils. And longing f

- Georgie - 05-04-2003

Update: The Marine we wrote to is coming home on emergency leave because his wife is having surgery. He did, indeed, receive my class' letters way out there on the dusty road to Baghdad! AND he's coming to visit the class in person to thank them! I'm not telling the kids ahead of time. They will flip when he walks into the classroom! What a great culmination to a little project! As for our little class business, we have made patriotic pins and magnets to sell in school. The kids all worked like little bees, assembly line fashion, to manufacture them; next was the advertising phase and now, at last, we are selling them. The proceeds will go to the USO Cares program to supply care packages for the troops.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 05-04-2003).]

- winoweenie - 05-04-2003

What a super ending to a project. WW

- Georgie - 05-13-2003

Update #1: Our little class enterprise was quite successful. We earned over $100.00 in profit which enabled us to send four care packages overseas through the USO.
Update #2: "Our" Marine sgt. came to visit today to thank the kids for their letters. What a great surprise. The kids loved him. What a fine young man. He was personable, well-spoken,and had a great sense of humor. He answered all of their many questions and brought along several interesting items.
He said that the Iraqi people were overjoyed to have the Americans there, and he felt nothing but warmth and appreciation from them.
I hope the boys and girls remember his visit when they learn about the war in their history classes later in life!