WineBoard
Wine Making - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Making (/thread-13469.html)

- Egloff - 03-19-2003

I'm a wine maker, not from a kit.
We get grapes and a press and try to be as pure as possible depending on who's pure you go by. We have varied views on sulfites and sulfides, conditioning and wracking.
Interested to know if there is a forum to discuss wine making from scratch with others who don't assume it is all Ubrew quality..
Thanks

- winer - 04-05-2003

Greetings. I just registered at a site www.winemakersworld.com. It does not seem to be very active, but I haven't really given it a fair try yet either.

Incidently, as a newby to the idea of making your own wine, I would be interested in why you think the U-Brew wines are all low quality stuff. Here in Vancouver BC, we have two manufacturers of kits, Brew King and RJSpagnol, both of which sell their products to the U-Brew stores. Both (if you believe their advertising) offer some very high quality kits.

- Georgie - 04-06-2003

There is a Home Wine Making forum on this board. Although there are no recent posts, you might find something helpful if you view the archived topics. Good luck!

- winoweenie - 04-06-2003

Hi Egloff and a belated welcome to the board. Our resident wine-maker is Foodie who had a vineyard in the Finger Lakes region. I've found with my skill level I can buy a whale of a lot better bottle of juice than I could ever make. WW

- winoweenie - 04-06-2003

Hi Egloff and a belated welcome to the board. Our resident wine-maker is Foodie who had a vineyard in the Finger Lakes region. I've found with my skill level I can buy a whale of a lot better bottle of juice than I could ever make. WW

- Thomas - 04-06-2003

As Georgie said, there is a forum on home winemaking. As ww said--twice (he drinks, you know)--I used to own a vineyard and I have winemaking training, and I started out as a home winemaker. Fire away on the other forum; I will answer as best I can.

- Egloff - 04-07-2003

Thanks Everyone, I'll open my eyes and look around at the rest of the site.

Winer
you are right there are some good kits with pure grape extract out there. What I'm not keen on is added sugar in grape wines, as is often found in kits.
I feel that added sugar should be confined to other types of wine, like black berry.
Also the UBrew wines tend to have short racking time. Usually about 1 month. I find that this leaves a yeasty flavour in the wines that I have tried. The use of high quality filters is supposed to help, but I don't find that it works as well as several rackings over the course of a year or so.
One other thing that worries me about most kit wines is that they ussually relie on a potasium sorbate kill to stop yeast activity. In my home brew I attempt to minimize chemical additives. Also most of the Ubrew shops in Vancouver BC use plastic instead of glass, cheaper lighter less breakage, but not right!

The fact is that if you were to pay your self minimum wage, even wine from a kit is about the same price as a nice cheap bottle of imported wine, that is often quite good.

It is in the process and the love of the art, not the cost in dollars.

Thanks every one.