WineBoard
Oh Brother, Where art thou 'cause we want to give you a great big hug!!!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Oh Brother, Where art thou 'cause we want to give you a great big hug!!!!! (/thread-13410.html)

- Botafogo - 02-28-2002

WOW!!!!!! Yeeeeeee-Haaaaaaaw!!!!!!!!

Traditional Bluegrass and the unaccompanied wail of a 75 year old geezer blow both bulls#!t "Country" artists AND U2 off the stage! Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus and he plays the Dobro, chews tobakky and give his cousin more than a hen peck for a kiss.

As a champion of traditional wine styles with idiosyncratic and even downright funky flavors and textures, this gives me so much satisfaction I can hardly express it. I am picking out a care package of bodaciously old school wines to send to T-Bone Burnett along with one of our "Fighting Globalization in your Glass" editorials.

AND, I want to move to Utah where I can marry Alicia Keys, Nelly Furtado (who speaks and sings in Portugues and whose last name means "stolen") and India Arie all at once.

If music be the fruit of life, play on....Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 02-28-2002).]

- Kcwhippet - 02-28-2002

I sort of tuned in every so often and caught some of the music and a few acceptance speeches. Was it just me, or did Alicia Keyes seem like she was barely one step above illiteracy?

- txkajun - 02-28-2002

who is Alicia Keyes?

- Botafogo - 02-28-2002

It was you: she is bright, educated, talented and very eloquent at most times. What you saw was a normal reaction in a (barely!) 20 year old girl who had just gotten MASSIVE vindication after she fought tooth and nail against a music business that wanted to turn her into just another disposable Destiny's Child clone instead of letting her prove she may be the Stevie Wonder of our era. Her complete re-arrangement of her original R&B (with Hip Hop flourishes) hit "Fallin" into a tango with strings is a small sliver of this future superstar's abilities. Was Sally Field's heartfelt plea of "You like me, you really like me" a sign of a small intelect?

Ditto (on the fight the power vibe) for Mary K Blige who THREW DOWN 'Retha style and had the whole house at my crib screaming and crying.

But the real story has got to be the coronation of Hillbilly Chic (dig those Soggy Mountain Boys in their New York black)and the total ignoring of such bogus "Country" hacks as Garth Brooks and his ilk. Bill Monroe and Hank Williams surely drank a toast from Heaven and Hell respectively...

Funky Roberto, still groovin'...slight return...

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 02-28-2002).]

- winoweenie - 03-01-2002

Alicia's a breath of fresh geni! A modern Dinah....(Washington , not Shore youse patooties ) WW

- Botafogo - 03-02-2002

And she be FINE too, Verne! I had the pleasure of meeting her at a listening party for her record release (when no one knew who she was yet) and was in love / lust / admiration from the first moment.

You back in AZ? Roberto

- winoweenie - 03-02-2002

Yeah as usual, my child-bride had to come back Sat ro meet a client from Canada who couldn't wait until mon.&%$#@~!++))(*&. I'll be up by myself agin' in a couple or 3. How's the dengue coming in Rio? Hope all is well. Verne

- Botafogo - 03-02-2002

From this morning's LA Times' review of the divine Ms. Keys' meltdown concert at the Wiltern theatre last night:

The young artist appears to be as disciplined and dedicated as she is gifted....

And, Verne, sinced you invoked the "D" word, I would LOVE to hear her take on Dinah's "Is you is or is you ain't my baby?" (not to mention "God bless the child" or "Strange fruit")...

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 03-02-2002).]

- mrdutton - 03-07-2002

'God bless the child' is a beautiful piece of music.........

- wondersofwine - 03-08-2002

Strange Fruit is both beautiful, tragic and poignant. Can you believe I had never heard it until a few months ago?

- Thomas - 03-08-2002

next to Billie's version of Strange Fruit comes Nina Simone's version--talk about soul!!!

- winoweenie - 03-09-2002

Wow WOW.... What a sheltered life you've lived. Can't remeber hearing NSs' version. Can't be an improvement over Lady Birds' original. WW

- RAD - 03-09-2002

I'm getting off-topic here too, but--

There was an interesting write-up on the story behind "Strange Fruit" in a local paper (I think from NJ) that someone brought in to work last week. While it is Billie's signiture song, and some erroneously believe she actually wrote it, it was actually penned by a Jewish man from the Bronx in the 20s upon looking at a photograph of a lynching. Billie first performed it in '39, if memory servers. I believe the man was a schoolteacher and part-time songwriter. Can't remember all the details, but an interesting read.

RAD

- Thomas - 03-09-2002

You got it right, RAD.

ww, I said next to B's version comes Nina's! Have you lost your reading capabilities too??? If you haven't heard Nina's get a copy of it--it is great, just like her version of the song she wrote--Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood--that sends shivers on me.

I also like Nina for her sassy chutzpah!

- barnesy - 03-09-2002

I have Billie Holliday's version of Strange fruit on Original Shilac...78 rpm. Wonderful platter.

Barnesy

- mrdutton - 03-09-2002

Actually I believe it is a clay based material that is then hardened and strengthened with the shallac........

You actually have 78's..... WOW and I don't mean Wonders of Wine, I mean WOW!!!!

I'm sorry now, but my sister and I used up most my mother's 78 collection as frisbees........ they all broke up into tiny pieces I'm afraid to say.

- winedope - 03-09-2002

Gee, I'm not lucky enough to have any 78's, but I still have 33-1/3s and 8-tracks...WD

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 03-09-2002).]

- Thomas - 03-10-2002

Barnsey, what do you play your 78s on? I use an RCA Victrola that was manufactured in Spain in 1909. Along with 78s, I have a large selection of 45rpms; I play those on a 1956 Wurlitzer juke box that graces my living room, with its bright lights and candy store sound--remember the juke that opened the Happy Days episodes? Mine is similar. And I love those many LPs I still play on my Technics Quartz player.

Sound and fury here--I am particularly enamored with the warmth, roundness and imperfection of vinyl (or clay) as opposed to the clarity (and one-dimensional flatness) of digital sound.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-10-2002).]

- barnesy - 03-10-2002

I have an old electric record player, the ones you used to see in class rooms. Plays 78, 33 and 45. The needle on it is a little less harsh than the old solid metal pin style needles. I've got a pretty good collection of swing and early jazz.

Barnesy