WineBoard
Deal on Riedel Glasses - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Deal on Riedel Glasses (/thread-13307.html)

- Grape Stuff - 12-15-2003

Was at Trader Joes this weekend, and they were selling 4 packs of the Vinum Bordeaux for $23.96. Is that as good as it gets?

- Glass_A_Day - 12-15-2003

Indeed!!!

- thewoodman - 12-23-2003

Saw these at my Tj's as well, but they aren't labled as Vinums and they just don't look quite right. Less delicate, heavier, and less finely crafted than my Reidels. Is this Reidel specially designed for 2-buck Chuck or is it my imagination?

- winoweenie - 12-23-2003

I'm a'goin over this PM and will check. Even as much as I love TJs' I must say this falls under the ole admonishment ' If it seems too good to be true, It probably 'Haint " WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-23-2003

Are you sure those are Riedel Vinum Bordeaux? Those usually retail for $20 a stem and come in six packs. So, $6 a stem in a four pack seems a bit unusual.

- Grape Stuff - 12-23-2003

I've got 2 Vinums at home that my wife bought for me last year from a wine shop at 20+ bucks a pop, and I put the Trader Joe ones side by side, and they look and feel exactly the same size and weight.

- wineguruchgo - 12-24-2003

I'm wondering if it's actually the Resturant Series that got in there by mistake. They make a line, just for restaurants, that look like Vinum, yet they are far less expensive because all restauranteurs were complaining about breakage.

Either way, I'm sure it's Riedel and well worth it!

- winoweenie - 12-24-2003

Not at any of the TJs' here in Phoenix so I can't respond. Just can't believe that Riedel would need the cash enough to do biz with the Englishmen. WW

- Grape Stuff - 12-27-2003

OK, my first comparison was done rather hastily, and I decided to take a closer look. The TJ glasses are not identical to the regular Vinums I've got. The are identical in height, the base is the same diameter and thickness, but the bowl is ever so slightly narrower, and the mouth again has a slightly smaller diameter, and yes the walls are a bit thicker. So what fooled me was the weight (thicker glass, but smaller bowl makes for it about the same overall weight), and the height and base were the same. But I can't seem find these on the Riedel website, so maybe the restaurant version is what they are. in the end though, I still got a great deal on authentic crystal Riedles, for a few bucks.

- Jorog - 01-05-2004

Got some of these for Christmas and, yes, they are Reidels but not Vinums. According to the TJ's I stopped at, it was a special, one-time purchase. Seconds maybe? I don't know but it is still a good deal (even though my wife broke one on the 26th).

[This message has been edited by Jorog (edited 01-05-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 01-05-2004

We just ordered 3 sets of the Amazon Spiegelau glasses. Each set is 6 Bordeaux and 6 Burgundy for $29.99 per set.