WineBoard
Run!!!!! The dinosaurs suck! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Run!!!!! The dinosaurs suck! (/thread-13144.html)

- Botafogo - 07-23-2001

Just in case anyone with kids in tow tries to drag you to see Jurassic Park III, run, lie, prevaricate, remember you have to paint the barn, what EVER you can do to miss this turkey which has NOTHING in common with even the second film let alone the original and is basically one long (seemed like five hours but clocked in at under an hour and a half) chase scene.

I wanted to walk out half an hour in but was the ride for a friend and her son so I was stuck. Don't let that happen to you,,,,

Roberto

- hotwine - 07-24-2001

Sympathies. That's just one of the reasons I haven't set foot in a movie theater in at least 15 years. If a flick comes out that I'd like to see, I wait to rent the videotape; then if it's a turkey, simply hit "Stop. Rewind. Eject." All at half price or less, AND done while enjoying the favorite juice of the moment, without bubblegum stickin' to the boots or butt.

- wondersofwine - 07-24-2001

We have a new independent theater in town that shows some great movies. Just saw "Best in Show" over the weekend and "Songcatcher" the weekend before. I recommend either one to your attention. "Best in Show" may be available on video or DVD now (spoof of prestigious kennel shows). "Songcatcher" is about early 20th century efforts to record Irish/Scottish/English ballads in the Appalachia area which retained a purity of form going back 200 years. Janet McTeer and Aidan Quinn star. Full of blue grass banjo and vocal ballads. Both movies have lesbian and/or gay couples so might not fall into your idea of a family movie but are worthwhile for adult viewing. I thought the lesbian couple in "Songcatcher" were portrayed in a sensitive manner that encourages empathy and might increase tolerance or acceptance in audience members.
(The appropriate drink for watching "Songcatcher" is probably moonshine. For "Best of Show" you could pop the cork on a bottle of Champagne when the top dog is announced.)

- Thomas - 07-24-2001

Best of Show is a true hoot--as good as Spinal Tap--same writers.

- ddf68 - 07-24-2001

The Best in Show team has followed up with a film called Waiting for Guffman. It's good in the same mock-u-mentary vein.

ddf

- Botafogo - 07-24-2001

A) I didn't even PAY to see JP3 as I got passes from some customers at Universal and I STILL got ripped off!

B) Waiting for Guffman was BEFORE Best in Show and both are fabulous. Many of the cast members (as well as all the members of Spinal Tap) are customers of ours and we love all that stuff.

C) I still think there is nothing like seeing a movie with a crowd in a great theatre and we have some AMAZING theatres here (especially the ones in the Director's Guild and Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences buildings).

Roberto