WineBoard
To collect, or not to collect.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: To collect, or not to collect.... (/thread-13037.html)

- winecollector - 11-16-2002

This fall I've found myself doing something I've rarely done before... and that is using my wine budget to buy more of less expensive and ready to drink upon release wines than the collectable or ageworthy wines. I've spent the past year opening a lot of my older vintage wines, and though the vast majority of them have held up well and have made for some heavenly experiences, I'm at a point where I'd much rather take $150 to buy an entire case of a wine than spend it on... say... for example, 1 bottle of 1999 Opus One. The cost of some of these more expensive wines has caused me to re-evaluate just how much of them I buy, and if I even decide to buy them at all. I'm finding too many wines in the $12 to $25 price range that are enjoyable, much more economical, and ready to drink now.

Another thing that's changed my attitude toward collectable wines over the past year or so, is I'm no longer buying wines with the attitude of possibly re-selling them in the future for profit. I'm buying them with the intention of drinking them. I've been watching auction prices on wines, and I'm finding at present many collectable wines sell for less than their original release price. One wine I will still buy when the price is right is Mouton Rothschild, and I recently purchased several bottles at 70% of what its original release price was here in PA. If the bidding would have been at release price or higher, I may have only bought a fraction of what I did, if any at all.

So, as I come across these more expensive "cellar wines" this fall, I've been asking myself... what would I rather have... half a case to a case of something I can drink now... or 1 bottle of something I will enjoy maybe 5 to 10 years from now? More and more, I'm opting to take a case of the cheaper stuff. My wine budget goes much further that way, and so far, my taste buds aren't complaining!

- Bucko - 11-16-2002

Hell of a lot of good wine in the world for $25 or less. At a point where I can afford "luxury" wine, I find myself buying none. I'd just as soon cozy up with a bottle of CdP than about anything.

- winecollector - 11-16-2002

I'll buy an occasional rhone or two... but most of what i'm buying and drinking now are chianti's and zinfandels... i like wines that go well with mexican, italian, and cajun foods... anything spicy!

- hotwine - 11-16-2002

Being able to afford luxury juice doesn't equate to being willing to buy. The marketers don't seem to have grasped that simple truth yet. I'm also one who generally limits his purchases to bottles priced at $25 or less. There are a few exceptions, but they're damned few indeed.

- Drew - 11-16-2002

I can count on 1 hand the wines I've bought costing more than $30. Collecting and drinking expensive wines doesn't compute with my lifestyle and budget and I know that the only way I'll ever sample the big boys is at tasting events, and even then it's rare that something expensive knocks my socks off enough to buy. I share my wine with friends and family and nothing's sacred. Anyway, I like to hunt for the cheap sleeper, call me a flea-marketeer.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 11-17-2002

WC you need to get box of Crow Canyon Cab from Roberto. Incidentally I burned my WITHSTAND card.

- dananne - 11-17-2002

WC -- I am in agreement with you. I, also, have the ability to buy the pricier collectable wines, but rarely do. I'd rather have, say, 10 bottles of Cline Syrah or something equally quaffable.

When I do buy something to lay down for several years, it is also something that I'll end up drinking, not selling. The cellarable wines I seem to be buying recently are Riojas and Rhones. I buy a few bottles and then pop one every so often to see how they're doing. Seems more fun for the $.

- winecollector - 11-17-2002

Innkeeper- Does the Crow Canyon Cab have any OAK? in it? Oh my gosh! The burning of Innkeepers WITHSTAND card! Now who will I pick on around here? <hehehe> Oh well, I think a celebration is in order! <going through cellar trying to find my oakiest cab to send to Innkeeper>

Drew- I always check clearance racks and back storerooms of wine stores. Many a time, if you get to know the people at specific wine store well, they will pass on some rare gems to you. One such relationship with a wine store employee has netted me several older Bordeaux and Californian wines from spectacular vintages that this employee had originally stowed away in the back of the store for himself, and then was never able to afford to get them all. In most cases, I've been able to pick up aged wines like that for a fraction of what the current vintage of the same wine is going for now.

Another thing I'm considering doing, is finding people that have bought and cellared more wine than they will ever be able to drink, and purchase what older wines in bulk off of them that I find interesting. This saves them the hassle of auctions and shipping to who knows how many different people that bid on their wines.

<I'm sitting here in shock still having trouble believing Innkeeper burned his WITHSTAND card... think I will go see if I have anymore irate e-mails from Willie Gluckstern> lol

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 11-17-2002).]

- Thomas - 11-17-2002

winecollector, your new attitude warms my heart. The way I look at it, all that money sitting in a cellar (for often over-priced collectibles) could be wasted in one swift clash between me and a Mack truck; then, I would have missed enjoying one of my life's passions--drinking wine.

There is also the possibility that, like some of us, you are mellowing with time...

- winecollector - 11-17-2002

Who? Me? Mellowing? Never! <laughing wickedly> hehehe

um... anyone want to buy a merilyn merlot vertical?

- winoweenie - 11-20-2002

Ok youse guys the puters back up so the weener has a few to say. Dananne I agree there's a ton of fun in stuff for quaffing. Howm-so-ebber there are times when a special friend, occassion, or feeling comes along where ones' socks need rolling up-n-down by a killer bottle. If'n you can afford them, always have some great old bottles for the above. And WC you know I agree with the cult stuff out of Calif. I dropped off every mailing list I was on after the 97 vintage These included almost every cult wine even tho I knew I could resale immediately on release for a profit. There are some wines I'll continue buying at any price because I'm comfortable that these will offer, if not for me, my kids, tons of pleasure in 10 or beyond. Besides that, I'm completely out of space!! ww

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 11-20-2002).]

- shirazoz - 11-26-2002

Ooh Wine Collector, if you're having trouble drinking any of your collected wine I would be only to happy to assist you. A nice steak grilled medium rare, with a dollop of blue cheese, a tempting salad, of mixed greens with a chilli, lime and mango dressing, would go exceptionally well with a magnificent red from your collection !!

- Kcwhippet - 11-26-2002

Not sure about the chili lime dressing, but the steak sure does the trick

- winecollector - 11-27-2002

Shirazoz- I'll make ya a deal Lynne... your next trip to the states, you can raid my cellar and pick out a wine you'd like to open... but I get to pick the food!