WineBoard
Tasting from a new wine dispensing machine in Charlotte - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Tasting from a new wine dispensing machine in Charlotte (/thread-13014.html)

- wondersofwine - 01-06-2009

I saw in the New Year in Charlotte, NC attending an Avett Brothers concert Dec. 30 (hot local group appearing with Jason Webley, who is a Seattle musician). Dec. 31st I dined at Fig Tree (a two-story home converted into a restaurant.) Also lunched at Pewter Rose Bistro on the 31st and visited Dean & Deluca wine shop and The Winestore on Governor Morrison St. (I had to call for directions because the street is a little hidden.)
The Winestore arranges their wines on display by medium-bodied reds, full-bodied reds, a romantic evening, etc. It also has two wine dispensing machines where you purchase a plastic card (like a debit card) for whatever amount and then swipe it for one-ounce tastes of the desired wine with the prices varying from 65 cents to over $3.00 a taste. I tried the
2006 CLEB-COLSON CANYON VINEYARD SYRAH, SANTA BARBARA COUNTY--red berries, nice aftertaste, not very peppery or spicy

2006 LUCIEN ALBRECHT GEWURZTRAMINER, ALSACE--
peculiar nose, a bit pungent or volatile perhaps? taste is a bit honeyed; as a package, not what I was expecting and lacked the spiciness I like in Gewurztraminer

1999 LE CONSEILLANTE, POMEROL, FRANCE
Noticeably funky (brett?) nose
Crimson with brown undertones
Horsy leather notes on the palate

QUATTRO MANI TOKAI, ITALY, EXTO GREDIC VINEYARD
light, airy, fruity; would be a nice aperitif in warm weather (I think this was the one at 65 cents a taste)

My favorite:
2005 AALTO, RIBERA DEL DUERO, SPAIN
100% Tempranillo
I assumed this was a modern-style Tempranillo which the salesclerk confirmed.
He mentioned the winemaker or grape grower--something like Mariana Garcia? Lovely nose--violets and dark raspberries. Semi-transparent purple-red color. Fruit and floral elements on the palate as well as the nose. Slight tannins towards the finish. Nice aftertaste. I bought one bottle at $55 although this is high for me (online I see it listed at $45-$50 in some locations.)
Fun experience and I will probably go back to the Winestore next time I visit Charlotte.

- Georgie - 01-07-2009

Gee, I'd love to get one of those vending machines in the faculty room!

- wondersofwine - 01-07-2009

Yes, you could probably have an ounce or two without much harm.

- Thomas - 01-08-2009

Believe it or not, the Pennsylvania legislature is considering experimenting with vending machines for wine buying. The machines would be placed in or in front of grocery stores. They would use some sort of plastic card and they would be designed to prevent minors from using them--that last part is the one that made me laugh.

The odd thing is that PA is a control state, so I suppose the state has finally agreed that their wine shops suck eggs!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-08-2009).]