WineBoard
Where do they go... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Where do they go... (/thread-13004.html)

- Thomas - 07-26-2002

the people who ask a health question--usually about sulfites--seem to vanish after we tell them the truth? They never even thank us for the information.

- hotwine - 07-26-2002

Suspect the answers are not the ones they're expecting to hear. "Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind's made up!"

- winoweenie - 07-26-2002

Seems like most of the time our answers are given to a blank wall. When I spend a lot of time and effort helping someone and I don't hear from them I let them know I don't appreciate it. Phooooey!!!on 'em. WW

- Thomas - 07-28-2002

yeah, my suspicion is that when we give the unexpected or unwanted answer we run the risk of removing the racy myth, and that seems a disaster to many people.

I did a book signing at a winery yesterday; I observed that the most often asked question from tasters at the tasting bar had to do with headaches and sulfites. The fellow behind the bar told me he is just about fed up with answering that same question and he wished he knew who started and keeps the myth alive. The answer to that question is simple: anti-alcohol people started the myth, and they are quite happy to see it live; the rest of the lemmings who believe it seem quite happy to oblige.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-28-2002).]

- Kcwhippet - 07-28-2002

Foodie,

The antis aren't the only ones perpetuating the myth. A few years ago we were down on the North Fork and decided to see what was happening on the South Fork. We got the newsletter from Wolffer (sp) Estates and it had a bit written by the winemaker's wife who's some kind of MD. Anyway, she says that her husband's winemaking technique reduces the sulfite levels in Wolffer's wines, so that anyone who suffers from sulfite headaches won't have that problem with their wines. I sent it off to Bucko and he didn't agree with her findings (to say the least). So, it's also some horribly uninformed medical types that are also trying to advance the sulfite myth.

- Botafogo - 07-28-2002

We get people all the time quoting from some Harvard Medical school test of "what wine is the best for preventing heart disease and stroke?" where they tested five different kinds of wine on the basis of "which one has the most of the compounds we suspect are good for you" and then proclaimed that because the particular French Syrah in their test had more stuff than the particular Chianti or Chilean Merlot they tested then ALL French Syrah is the Merde and nothing but the Merde.

A sixth grade science class knows better than that when it comes to applying the scientific method. Sheeeeeesh!

Roberto

- wondersofwine - 07-29-2002

I don't get a headache from drinking wine unless I overdo it, and in fact, it's been years since I've had a headache from drinking. (Do recall the room spinning after too many German beers at a Bavarian ski week one time and also an upset stomach after following a flight of wines with a beer at a conference. Guess I'd better stay away from beer.)

- Thomas - 07-30-2002

No, you should stay away from rooms that spin...

- wondersofwine - 07-30-2002

LOL. WOW