WineBoard
Jerry Mead Memorial - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Jerry Mead Memorial (/thread-12971.html)

- Bucko - 04-13-2000

Knowing Jerry, he would like this placed under the Rants section. It is with great dismay and sadness that I report that my dear friend, loved by all who knew him, Jerry Mead, passed away last night from heart failure. The family is going to have a private service, with a memorial to follow at a later date.

Jerry was a pioneer in the fight against government intervention into the world of wine. One of the longest running columnists in America, his articles have been followed by winelovers around the world. His New World International Wine Competition started off the year's rounds of judgings. Jerry was only 61 years old. He will be deeply missed.

Randy Buckner

- hotwine - 04-13-2000

My deepest sympathies to his family and close friends. I wasn't privileged to know him, but have the utmost respect for his writings. He will be sorely missed.

- Thomas - 04-13-2000

Aw shit!

I never met Jerry in person, only have known him through correspondence and as a writer for his periodical. But did I grow to love him? You bet.

Shit! I already miss him immensely.

- anna - 04-13-2000

I've never met Jerry in person, but I feel like I know him through his publications, our postings on this board, and his e-mails. I truly admired him for his contributions to the "alcohol and politics" issues -- he dared to tip some sacred cows and he wasn't afraid to mince words. His departure will leave a huge void in the fight against anti-alcohol legislation.

I will miss Jerry's humor, candor, thoughtful reporting, and of course his dirty mind. At the risk of sounding like a silly Gen-X'er, this just completely sucks.

We'll miss ya, Curmy.

[This message has been edited by anna (edited 04-13-2000).]

- anna - 04-13-2000

By the way, I know this sounds a bit silly, but...

Does anyone have any ideas on how we could do a little tribute, individually, to Jerry? So many of us are connected only through the Internet and this great board, but I wondered if there was something else we could do, in our own homes, to somehow connect with each other and with Jerry, if only in a symbolic manner.

Sorry, I'm getting a little New Agey, I guess.

- Bucko - 04-13-2000

The family has asked that any contributions be sent to:

Jerry Mead Medical Fund
c/o Edwin Schwartz Public Relations
3275 Sacramento St
San Francisco CA 94115

St. Mary's Foundation
St. Mary's Regional Medical Center
235 W 6th St
Reno NV 89520-9914
(St. Mary's is the hospice that helped care for him in his last days.)

Bucko

- mrdutton - 04-13-2000

My heartfelt condolences to Jerry's family and close friends.

This is a sad day, indeed.

I never had the privilege of meeting him, but he quickly gained my trust and respect through our various communications by e-mail and through this board.

The world has lost a great person!

- MoreWines - 04-13-2000

He will be missed.

- Catch 22 - 04-14-2000

Jerry,

Thanks again.

Jeff