WineBoard
Stop this Legislation! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Stop this Legislation! (/thread-12945.html)

- Botafogo - 04-20-2002

Who is Marco Firebaugh and what does he have against wine consumers?

As we type, monopoly and anti-consumer forces are mounting a blitzkrieg on YOUR ability to buy fine wines from around the world in a free and competitive market. East LA Assemblyman Firebaugh has proposed a law, AB1922, which would make it illegal for any importer, wholesaler or retailer to exercise their right as an American to seek out the best products at the best prices in an open marketplace and would instead invest ALL control of ALL vintages and bottlings of wines freely for sale in the global marketplace solely to the authorized California distributor of the current releases of that producer. Can you imagine if only GM could sell used Chevrolets or if only Random House could sell used books published by them? We think not!

How would this affect YOU? For starters, by criminalizing the very existence of the sort of small, entrepreneurial distributors who source Old and Rare vintages, the next time you want to buy an older vintage of Port, Armagnac or Bordeaux for a special birthday or anniversary there will be no such thing on the market, so no 70th Birthday gift for Grandpa. Secondly, in those all too frequent cases where a particularly larcenous importer is holding the US market hostage with prices that are completely out of line with the world market for a given wine, the natural market remedy of parallel importing from more fairly priced sources will be eliminated resulting in artificially high prices to you. For the collectors in the audience, this will RADICALLY cut the availability of hundreds of small production wines and drive their prices in the California market even further through the roof. Economically, by driving many small, quality oriented distributors out of business this will not only take tens of millions of tax dollars out of the California state treasury, it may eliminate the distribution of many small California wineries who, having been ignored by the large distributors backing this bill, are often only available the same small wholesalers this bill seeks to eradicate.

Governor Deukmejian vetoed a remarkably similar bill in 1985 based on its anti-consumer effect and concluded his veto letter by stating: As dependent as California agriculture is on foreign markets, this bill takes us the wrong way down the dangerous road of protectionism. Simply bringing about higher prices for foreign wines is unfair to consumers.

So, who does this benefit? Perhaps you should ask Mr. Firebaugh that. We have, repeatedly, with no response.

Here is the bill in its entirety:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1901-1950 ab_1922_bill_20020208_introduced.html

You can read the the San Francisco Chronicle story about the bill here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/04/16/BA120677.DTL

Call Assemblyman Marco Antonio Firebaugh TODAY at 916-319-2050

or e-mail him at: Assemblymember.Firebaugh@assembly.ca.gov

Call YOUR Assemblyman and State Senator TODAY. If you do not know who they are you can find out here:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

- winoweenie - 04-20-2002

I've forwarded this to all of my buddies in Calif. I could send him a dirty E-Mail but as he is undoubtedly dumb-as-dirt he'd probably think I liked him . WW

- Drew - 04-20-2002

It's simply money and politics in the pocket!

Drew

- zenda2 - 04-20-2002

Backing for this lovely bill is coming from Diageo, fwiw. Diageo is Satan's holding company, or so I'm told.

- Botafogo - 04-21-2002

We feel this is an equal opportunity issue to get behind:

Wine lovers have self interest.

Libertarians can decry the attempt to control the market and take away choice.

Even Pat Buchanan can weigh in on how Diego, a multinational based in London, is violating American Sovereignty (sp?) by trying to buy off the power structure....

- Bucko - 04-21-2002

The trouble is that money talks, everything else walks. The wholesalers have provided unity, thus a nice pool of dollars. Wineries have not joined as one to fight shipping issues. I may be wrong but I have not seen a unified effort by the small importers to fight this latest insult to our freedoms.... yada, yada, yada. I truly hope that I am wrong, but this looks like a lost cause unless some powerful political people or well-known public figures speak out against it.

- Thomas - 04-21-2002

Bucko is right on.

When I look at not only the regulations and laws governing alcohol in the U.S., but the nonsense perpetrated on us with regard to oil interests, I am reminded of how much I detest certain political allies who presently enjoy large public approval ratings. The monied interests have, and likely will continue to, control America's destiny.

Americans need to question why it is that the greedy and those who claim the moral high-ground seem frequently to be the same people.

- Botafogo - 04-21-2002

Actually, this issue has been so polarizing that not only are a LOT of small importers and retailers fighting it but many of us are planning a boycott of two of the largest distributors for at least a month with AB 1922 put in their face at every turn....

- wondersofwine - 04-21-2002

Go, Roberto! Make the boycott hurt!

- vinman - 04-21-2002

OK. Most of my posts have been a bit lopsided, goofy, and even outrageous. But, if there was ever an advocate for what you all are trying to say...well...But, at times I get so wrapped up in regulations that I fail to see the real culprit in this equation...the powerful, mega producers, with now one million liter containers, who I espouse every day a being very quaffable indeed! My last (2) shipments of wine came from the "east coast", standard UPS, concealed of course! And they were all wines recommended by your posts!!!!

- winoweenie - 04-22-2002

Sent an E-Mail to this idiot this AM anyway. The more I chewed the cud, the more it kept coming back sour. All of the wine-drinking movie celebs should be informed and I'm sure those lil'liberal darlins' will get on their hind legs and howl. WW

- Thomas - 04-22-2002

That's a good idea--Roberto, get out that mailing list and get those Hollywood types in on the action. I know one or two drink wine...