WineBoard
OK is okay! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: OK is okay! (/thread-12898.html)

- wondersofwine - 04-29-2002

Back from Oklahoma City. Had some good steak at Cattleman's by the stockyards but found the wine lists to be limited. The Westin Hotel didn't have a single riesling--only chardonnay, and pinot grigio for whites. I told them rieslings are more food-friendly than chardonnay and a better value as well. I did have Cline Zinfandel and Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel a couple nights.
Oklahoma City downtown area is quite clean. Visited the Oklahoma City Memorial at site of Murrah Building at sunset--also stopped in the International Gymnastics Hall of Fame. Came down with a cold (temperature was warm the day we arrived and then dropped to 48 degrees later in the week) and didn't get to the Cowboy Hall of Fame or the Arts Festival going on a few blocks from our hotel. I did eat Italian food in Bricktown one night. The people were friendly and overall it was a good experience despite the less than optimum weather.

- Innkeeper - 04-29-2002

Ah, how I miss those TDYs. In lieu of Oak-city, much preferred those bases in or within striking distance of wine country. Beale, Castle, Vandenberg, and March in California were great. Vandy still is. Griffiss in New York was close enough to the Finger Lakes to work. Even found wine in the environs of Knob Knoster, MO and Grissom, IN. One day when visiting the later, we met with a retired O-5 Gob who was the head of the Indiana Winegrowers Association. We rendezvoused with him for lunch in the O-club of Fort Benjamin Harrison. He open a large travelling case to reveal sixteen different Indiana wines. Most were fairly decent. He left the remains of the uncorked sixteen with the bartender. How did one get TDYs like that? Well being in charge of the clubs and package stores among other things for the then twenty five bases of the old Strategic Air Command helped.

- hotwine - 04-29-2002

Here's a TDY tale: I once had to visit Huntsville Ala. for three days; stayed downtown without a rental car. Called back to the office to check on per diem rate, and was told $6.25 per day. Knowing I was going broke, decided to really treat myself the last night, and walked a few blocks to a small French restaurant; asked for and received the biggest table they had, one for 10 people, in a corner. Menu indicated the average meal would likely run about $10. Sat down and ordered a martini, then a chateaubriand for two, with Bordeaux, followed by cognac and a good cigar. Had four waiters occupied full time. The bill was $120, to which I gladly added a $20 tip. That was in 1969.

- wondersofwine - 04-29-2002

IK and Hotwine, you both know how to live.
While extension librarian in Karlsruhe, I had an official visit to Baden-Baden I believe during which we were invited to lunch at the French Officers' Club as guests of an American colonel. As you might guess, the meal was delicious and wine was very much a part of it.

- hotwine - 04-29-2002

Now THOSE are the guys who know how to live! When I lived in Wiesbaden, I used to find an excuse to swing by the French PX and commissary at Kaiserslauten once or twice a month, and stock up on cheese, bread, wine and snails (the petit gris, 4 doz to the can at about 5 FF per). For a $20 bill, I could eat (and drink) like a king for several days!