WineBoard
Two bad bottles! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Two bad bottles! (/thread-12736.html)

- hotwine - 01-21-2002

We had grilled a sirloin and veggies ('shrooms, zucchini, onions) and boiled new spuds for a quiet Saturday dinner, and enjoyed our last bottle of Lapostolle Cab from Chile; very nice wine. Then for the leftovers last night, I pulled a Cousino-Macul....and it was corked. Pulled another bottle....corked. Confound it! The first half of a bottle of Blackstone Merlot was consumed just in cleansing my palate! (mutter, grumble) Will return both bottles to the retailer and see how he handles it.

- winoweenie - 01-21-2002

It's the pits when them Texans fergit their postings. Guess the memory's the 2nd thin' to go. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 01-21-2002

Yeh, yeh, I remember how much I said I liked it only a couple of weeks ago, but that was before I got bit by two bad 'uns!

- Thomas - 01-21-2002

Hotwine, screw it, I mean, screw cap it--that is the answer...

- hotwine - 01-21-2002

Ooook. To preserve as evidence in dealing with the retailer?

- Innkeeper - 01-21-2002

He means if it had had a screw cap to begin with, it couldn't have gotten corked.

- winoweenie - 01-21-2002

'CEPT in Helioteeess. WW

- hotwine - 01-21-2002

Ah. True, but it could still be cooked, even if not corked. Both bottles gave up their corks too easily, as though they were loose in the necks, with the corks virtually falling off the screw. And one showed leakage the length of the cork clear to the capsule.
Drove the 20 miles over there today but found the shop closed.

We all be corked in hell-otis, WW. (hic)

- Thomas - 01-22-2002

Hotwine, having not smelled it I can't doubt that it was corked, but loose and leaky sounds more like the wine was oxidized because of dried out corks rather than the bacteria problem that causes a "corked" wine. If it were "corked" it should smell close to wet cardboard; oxidized it should smell like sherry run amok.

In any event, the screwcap would prevent both from happening--hail the screwcap. Let's all write letters begging producers to get rid of corks.

I know I am going to hear from someone or many about this view!!!!

- hotwine - 01-22-2002

Thanks, Foodie. The corks were wet, but might have dried in transit and shrunk, then become wet again in shop storage. It's probably oxidation, as you describe, maybe due to a long stay on a loading dock, or in a hot warehouse. I don't want to think about what those bottles might have gone through between Chile and Texas....(or what went into 'em in the first place...)

- hotwine - 01-22-2002

Just returned from the retailer, and found him offering to do an exchange or full refund. I chose a credit against purchases, and relieved him of some more Lapostolle Cab, Deerfield Ranch Syrah, Les Fiefs de Lagrange St Julien, and WW's recommended Chilean Cab, the Escudo Rojo. (These returns can get reeeel expensive!)

- txkajun - 01-22-2002

hotwine,

may I ask where you prefer to shop? I have seen ok selections at the local HEB, and even better at SAM's, but what is your opinion? Do you go to the same place, or do you have a few favorites?
tk

- hotwine - 01-22-2002

TK, my current favorite shop is Wines Best Buy on W. Rhapsody, about two blocks east of West Avenue. They have the best prices available locally. And across the street is Joe Saglimbeni's, which probably has the best selection in town, although higher prices. I also visit Sun Harvest on Callaghan just east of IH10, and the nearby Gabriel's (watch for Garbriel's weekly ads in the front section of the San Antonio Express-News each Thursday; sometimes there's good stuff, and sometimes plonk).
The shop I was referring to in my post about the two bad bottles was Wines Best Buy. They've only been open since Dec 2000, but are already doing a brisk business with a sound reputation. And they give a 5% discount for cash or check, as well as a case discount of 10%. And BTW, the HEB at Bandera and 1604 now gives a 10% discount on only six bottles for most imported wines. (Other HEB stores may do the same, but that one is only a couple of miles from home for me.) Try HEB's Central Market on Broadway and their Marketplace on Bandera Road for wide selections, although higher proces than can be found at WBB.

- Innkeeper - 01-23-2002

Gil, is the Escudo Rojo a '99, and did they give you any idea how approachable it was? When to you plan to pop them?

- hotwine - 01-23-2002

The Escudo Rojo is indeed the '99, IK. Price was $12.49. The guys at the shop didn't recommend a "hold time", but I'll try to sit on 'em for a while.

- winoweenie - 01-23-2002

To give my IMHO. The 1999 will greatly benefit from at least 2-3 of cellaring. I gave it to all of my accounts for Xmas and lots of them loved it, but what do they know? The 2000 is More tightly wound. Have both in the cellar. WW

- hotwine - 01-23-2002

WW, when did you start the cellar clock on the '99, at production, release or purchase?

- hotwine - 01-23-2002

TK, you mentioned Sam's, and I failed to address that. I've found Sam's to be a good place for both Schmitt-Sohne Mosel-Sahr- Ruwer Riesling (usually on the order of $4 and change) and some of the wines of Maison Nicolas - their Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Merlot. I don't care much for their Merlot, but the other two are pretty nice for the price ($6-$8). The Jean Berteau Cotes du Rhone is also a good buy at about $6.99. The Sam's I visit now is off IH10 just north of De Zavala; shopped at the one at Lohman's Village on 410 for years, but the new one off IH10 is better.

- winoweenie - 01-23-2002

Hot-Bod... Always kinda' start the clock after tasting. WW