WineBoard
Corkage charges - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Corkage charges (/thread-12685.html)

- janeykd - 02-19-2003

Hi, I've just registered to get one question answered really. Can anyone tell me why we have to pay corkage on wine in a hotel when taking our own. Is there anyway we can negociate the price of it?

- ShortWiner - 02-19-2003

No, I don't think it's a negociable charge. You have to remember that most restaurants make their money on the wine and other alcohol they sell, not on the food. Even with a corkage fee, they are likely still not making nearly as much as if you bought a bottle, and it's still much cheaper for you. So, grin & bear it!

- Innkeeper - 02-19-2003

Hi Janeykd, and welcome to the Wine Board. In America corkage fees are usually set firmy by the management. The reason is that have to provide glasses, opener, napkins, etc (known as setups); all of which have to be cleaned and/or laundered. I have been to restaurants from Hawaii to Maine that do not charge corkage, and even provide setups. We don't need the setups as we usually tote our wine tote. These places, though, are admittedly quite rare.

As far as negociating the corkage, it would be best to do this while making a reservation. Once you walk into a place with the known corkage, you are stuck with it. Never and I mean never (a term rarely used) bring a wine into a restaurant that is on their wine card.

All the above refers to restaurants and I guessed you were talking about hotel restaurants. As far as your room is concered, they may still be charging for setups. Avoid this by getting your own wine tote with all the accessories in it.

Please don't go away with one question. We love to answer questions here.

- Thomas - 02-20-2003

Here's a story to support corkage fees:

A little while ago a gentleman invited me to dinner, to try to sell me some Italian wine he said was new to New York. He negotiated with a restaurant owner whom he knows so that he could bring two bottles of wine for us to have with dinner, and he would give the owner whatever wine remained. The owner pleasantly obliged, and of course gave us use of glasses, et al.

The guy who invited me proceeded to send the soup back for being too salty, and then when the main course arrived, he complained that it needed salt. The owner was reasonable about the whole thing; then, to make matters worse, the guy keeps the bottle of wine that was truly spectacular and he gives the second bottle to the owner, which was a mediocre wine at best. I felt sorry for the restaurant owner for not charging the corkage fee--I can only imagine the tip, if any, that the man left.

In addition, the wines are in New York already.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-20-2003).]

- hotwine - 02-20-2003

G-o-o-o-o-d grief, Foodie! It's hard to believe there are such jerks running loose in this world. I'd blacklist that dude forever.