WineBoard
Business Opportunity - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Business Opportunity (/thread-12677.html)

- Thomas - 10-08-2003

Major component of the fifty United States seeks competent Exterminator. All frivolous applicants will be considered.

- Auburnwine - 10-08-2003

Ah, America. Ah, celebrity.

Today John Wilkes Booth (another actor) would have gone on Oprah to discuss his issues with Lincoln, run for president, and been elected.

- hotwine - 10-08-2003

Over 30 years ago, I thought it was a joke when a has-been B-movie actor ran for governor of CA. He became one of the most admired governors they've ever had out there, and a very successful president. Maybe CA voters will get so lucky again. As to the rest of the field, let's hope most of them disappear back into obscurity.

- ShortWiner - 10-08-2003

Well, it seems to me that the voters have indeed trusted their fate to luck rather than wisdom. It's beyond imagining for me to vote for a man for governor who articulates almost no policies in his campaign, who in fact goes far, far out of his way to avoid doing so. I wish California luck.

Hotwine, as for the other candidates, there are some I'd like to see stay in the public eye for a while--I mean, what about Gary Coleman? I think it's time he got his own show!

- hotwine - 10-08-2003

He's welcome to reside in Obscurityville with Huffington and Mary Carey IMHO.

- ShortWiner - 10-09-2003

But you have to admit that "Diff'nt Strokes" wouldn't have been the same without the guy. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by ShortWiner (edited 10-09-2003).]

- Auburnwine - 10-09-2003

Oh, was it Gary Coleman that got elected? Gosh, I haven't heard ONE THING about the California election!

I am so out of the loop.

And how are the searches for WMD, Osama, Saddam, the Anthrax Killer, the budget surplus, the White House leaker, and Judge Crater coming along? Are we hot on their trail?

- MontereyRick - 10-09-2003

"It's beyond imagining for me to vote for a man for governor who articulates almost no policies in his campaign, who in fact goes far, far out of his way to avoid doing so. I wish California luck." -shortwine

SW..
No doubt Arnold wasn't the perfect candidate by any stretch of the imagination, but for most Republicans and even moderate to right leaning democrats it was a matter of avoiding at all costs the continuing saga that is Gray Davis and more importantly, avoiding the ultra liberal left wing transformation to "Mexifornia" Cruz Bustamante would have handed this state. While the rest of the country in the face of terrorism at least talks about tightening borders, Mr. Bustamante wants to not only allow illegal aliens in from Mexico, but to support them via welfare and give them Drivers Licenses and tax further the employers who take all the business risks but see less and less of the benefits of taking those risks.

Yes, it was a matter of voting for someone who appeared "electable" and who appears to be looking out for a few of our interests, and yes, California will need some luck.

- ShortWiner - 10-09-2003

I just hope that the burritos are as good as they used to be next time I go to "Mexifornia" [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 10-09-2003

MontereyRick, help me understand: you support an individual as governor who got where he is thanks in part to California immigration policy so that he could gut or harden California immigration policy. Is that right or am I just stupid?

- MontereyRick - 10-10-2003

Foodie..

Correct me if I'm wrong.. Arnold came to the U.S. legally, with a visa, completely on the up and up, then became a citizen thru proper channels, as I have zero problem with.

Conversely, Mr. Bustamante is a proponent of those south of the border entering the US thru the desert in the middle of the night and heading straight to the DMV to get their drivers license and then to the welfare line to be supported by the rest of us "employers" who take all the business risk but must share a ridiculous portion of our reward from that risk with those who don't. I don't mind sharing to a certain extent, but I prefer to share with those who go thru the proper channels.

Arnold's immigration and the problem California has with Mexico isn't even close to comparing apples to apples.

- Botafogo - 10-10-2003

MR, all the Latinos (and especially latinas) I know are here to WORK, often at two jobs and usually doing things that the American citizens who ARE on welfare disdain doing, like feeding, clothing and cleaning up after you and me.

Show me the American teenager who will ride a bus for two hours to clean houses for eight dollars an hour and I MIGHT start to listen to your argument.

Roberto ao vivo no Azatlan Norte....

- MontereyRick - 10-10-2003

Roberto..

Their willingness to work is commendable, however, the biproduct of their enthusiasm often compounds the problem. Thousands and thousands come across the border to work. Some get work and some don't. Some, believe it or not, end up with jobs that many would be happy to have for one reason or the other. Sometimes it's because employers know they can pay illegals less. This too needs to stop. Employers aren't supposed to hire illegals, yet they do....why??? because they can, because there is an endless supply and because they don't get punished. This needs to stop. Hiring immigrants who enter thru legal channels is perfectly fine, however, until the employers are severely punished for the hiring of illegals, they will continue to flood across the borders knowing they can grab a drivers license and gravy train a system that is already caving from it's own dead weight.

All of the above speaks only to the economic impact and doesn't even address the fact that it is only a matter of time before terrorists realize that they can access one of the biggest populaces in the world (LA) by crossing an invisible border. It isn't the early 20th century any longer, it's the 21st. Times have changed and for the safety and economic well being of the residents, I'd like to see the borders shut down, not hang out welcome signs pointing people to the correct line at The DMV for a change. Just my opinion.

- Botafogo - 10-10-2003

>>I'd like to see the borders shut down<<<

To quote a guy I'm sure you would like,

"Mr. Gorbachav, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!!!!"

Misturando o merde de novo, Robertinho

- Thomas - 10-10-2003

Methinks Rick you mix federal with state. The feds are responsible for the pourous border. And I agree, it is nuts to have laws that create illegals and then make illegals legal through a driver's license. But, that does not excuse hardened, extreme mean measures. And my point about Arnold's status is that immigrants can contribute to this culture, but not when we lock them out.

California was Mexico--America took it. Should we be penalized for that-- I mean for taking something that did not belong to us, which makes all Californians illegal Mexicans! Of course not. The answer to such problems is through real political leadership and not demagoguery (sp) and xenophobia.

Hey Roberto, Limbaugh is human after all...so much so that Mr. holier than thou has a drug habit. You can't buy that kind of justice, not even in congress.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-10-2003).]

- hotwine - 10-11-2003

At least El Rusho admitted his problem, instead of wagging his finger at critics and trotting out his wife to cover his tracks. He's now got a chance to fix his problem. Here's wishing him the best.