WineBoard
Some wines I liked at "Gathering in the Garden" - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Some wines I liked at "Gathering in the Garden" (/thread-12555.html)

- wondersofwine - 04-19-2010

Saturday evening was the second annual Fayetteville Wine Society charity event at Fox Hollow. http://www.foxhollowdesign.net/FH1.html
It was a beautiful evening and this time no drenching rain at about 9:00 PM. The USO of North Carolina was the beneficiary this year (last year was Fallen Soldiers' fund for family members.)
I started taking notes but was also conversing with acquaintances and so was not very diligent about the note-taking.
I donated three wines for the silent auction (a 2001 Ridge Lytton Springs, a 2002 Boillot Volnay "Les Caillerets" 1er Cru, and
a 2001 or 2002 Baroja Rioja Gran Reserva). They were to start at a minimum bid of $35 and I saw bids for $35 and $40 but didn't go back later to see if there were any higher bids.

From Table One I liked the 2005 Milbrandt "Legacy" Syrah, Columbia Valley, WA and the 2007 Elizabeth Spencer Pinot Noir. I liked the Washington state Syrah better than the Valley of the Moon Syrah from Sonoma County at Table 3. There was also a nice 2009 Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose' from South Africa (I have had other vintages at several lunches.) I
tried a 2004 Lawson's Dry Hills Late Harvest Gewurztraminer (Marlborough, New Zealand) as my final wine of the evening but didn't really like it.

From Table 2 I somehow missed the 2006 BV Cabernet Sauvignon. I tried a Chianti Classico Riserva that may have been too young and a 2008 Evodia Old Vine Garnacha. My favorite from this table was the 2006 Scott Harvey Syrah.

At Table 3 I missed the Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon. There were some Geyser Peak, Kenwood, Gary Farrell and Ferrari Carano wines as well as some Achaval Ferrer from Mendoza, Argentina and some Bordeaux wines. My favorites were the 2007 Gary Farrell Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (I like the 2005 and the 2007 better than the 2006), The Geyser Peak "Block Collection" Sauvignon Blanc and Geyser Peak "Block Collection" Cabernet Sauvignon (vintages not listed on our program but probably recent releases), and the Ferrari Carano "Tresor" (Bordeaux-type blend). My notes on the Geyser Peak Cabernet Sauvignon say softer and fruitier than some Cali cabs with elegance and finesse. I tried the four Bordeaux wines (all 2006) that were available for tasting. I liked the Chateau Quinault L'Enclos which was a Merlot-Cabernet Franc blend. The Chateau Cantemerle did not do much for me. The Chateau Lagrange was nice but cost about $18 more than the Quinault so the Quinault is the one I ordered for later pickup. The Chateau Lynch Bages had a wonderful nose but was too young and primary to show well that evening (and was priced at $101.25.)

At Table 4 selections included more wines from Mendoza, Ravenswood, Pillar Box Red and Pillar Box White from Australia, another Chianti Classico, a Gavi, a Barbareco, a Pinot Grigio, a Prosecco, and a Zinfandel and a couple Pinot Noirs. Nothing really stood out for me. The Prosecco was my first wine of the evening and it was probably my favorite from this table although I like the Pillar Box Red.

To try the Ports I had to brave cigar smoke as they were in the cigar tent. I went for the Sandeman's Ruby Porto and Sandeman's Tawny Porto, skipping the domestic "Ports." I liked both of the Sandeman wines.

I ended up ordering 11 bottles at discounted prices but mistakenly left off the Geyser Peak Sauvignon Blanc. If they don't have that at the grocery store I may contact Grapes and Hops and see if they can still order two bottles for me. It would be a nice summer sipper.

Before heading to the Port wines, I stopped at the food table where about four local restaurants contributed to the eats. I had some ravioli, a piece of grilled chicken, sausage with red peppers and a mini-cream puff with pineapple/cream cheese stuffing. I passed up the shrimp and grits for shrimp in gravy (a southern-themed restaurant that was new to me.)

It didn't appear like they had as much attendance as desired, but people did seem to enjoy the evening and you didn't have to wait in long lines to try the wines or get your food. Hopefully the silent auction raised a good sum. This year they had a shuttle service provided by Valley BMW (one of the sponsors) to take you from parking in a grocery store lot about eight blocks away to Fox Hollow. I rode over in a BMW sedan and rode back to my car in a Volkswagen van.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-19-2010).]