WineBoard
Rioja/Riesling/Rose appetizer pairings - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Rioja/Riesling/Rose appetizer pairings (/thread-1178.html)

- luisfan79 - 07-10-2007

I am throwing a wine-tasting bridal shower for my closest friend in the entire world, and I need some major help. I want to pair the following types of wines with appetizers for each one, and I can't figure out what I should serve. Any help would be majorly appreciated!

Wines:
1. Spanish Rioja
2. Reisling
3. Rose

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

- Innkeeper - 07-10-2007

Hi Luis, and welcome to the Wine Board.

1. Eggplant Salad
2. Veal Balls
3. Smoked Salmon

- wondersofwine - 07-11-2007

Additional suggestions
1. Spanish tapas like mushrooms sauteed in sherry or marsala, or beef kabobs. Here is a link for a mushroom recipe. http://www.spain-recipes.com/bread-mushrooms-allioli.html
2. Dry Riesling (Kabinett) of sweet (Spatlese)? Perhaps camembert angemacht with pretzels (a traditional Bavarian appetizer--I will try to locate a recipe on the Internet and provide a link later today.)
3. Agree with the salmon--also good with ham (little ham biscuit sandwiches perhaps)

- Innkeeper - 07-11-2007

I'm not disagreeing with WOW, but here are some details on my recommendations:

Eggplant Salad is a Tapa.

EGGPLANT SALAD:

1 (1/4 lb) White onion
1 (1 lb) Eggplant
2 Sweet red peppers (preferably long Italian type)
1 (1/4 lb) Very ripe tomato
1/2 tsp Crushed garlic
1 tbl Mince parsley (preferably Italian flat leaf)
2 tbl Olive oil
1 tbl Red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
Pinch salt
Pinch Sweetener
Few grindings from pepper mill

In the morning (after breakfast) peel and quarter onion. Cut stem from eggplant. cut in half lengthwise, and put skin side up in ungreased roasting pan with lid along with peppers and onion. Roast, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 17 minutes. Turn onion and peppers, and roast 17 minutes more. Remove from oven, cover, and let sit until cool (or until evening when you finish salad). Peel, seed, and chop peppers and eggplant. Also chop onion and tomato. Combine in a bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Toss with vegetables. Serve. Stores in refrigerator almost indefinitely, but should be brought to room temperature before serving. If you have a large enough roasting pan you can make a double or more batches at a time, since it does keep well.

For the Veal Balls: Make Swedish Meatballs out of ground veal, and serve with toothpics.

- wondersofwine - 07-11-2007

The eggplant salad sounds good, especially for summer.

Here is a recipe for Camembert Angemacht (I had to do my own translation from German as the automatic translator does a pretty poor job.)

Take the desired amount of aged soft Camembert (remove the rind) and an equal number of ounces of butter. Remove from refrigerator and let sit until room temperature. Break both the cheese and butter into small pieces and blend with a fork (or whisk). Dice a small- to-medium-sized onion (the website suggests putting the onion in the freezer for 10 minutes beforehand to avoid tears)and cut into the cheese/butter mixture along with 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon of sweet Paprike, depending on the quantity of cheese and butter. Refrigerate for at least one hour. It can be prepared a day ahead. Serve with pretzel sticks or brown bread.
It can be served on a salad dish but also looks attractive in inexpensive glassware shaped like a champagne flute or custard cup on stemware.
Variations include cumin or caraway seed for seasoning, thinly sliced radishes, adding a few teaspoons of beer or wine, or addition of some cream cheese to the mixture.

Now I want some myself and may make it for our next church potluck (last Sunday in July).

Have fun with the shower luis. I bet your friend will really appreciate your efforts.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-11-2007).]

- luisfan79 - 07-12-2007

Thank you so much for the suggestions, everyone! I really appreciate it. You definitely gave me some great ideas!

RE: Rioja/Riesling/Rose appetizer pairings - Popai081 - 04-27-2018

All these amazing and mouthwatering recipes are simply amazing to plan out a perfect bridal shower party for your near and dear ones. I will definitely try all these out and besides this, I also need your suggestion on getting best bridal shower favors. Can you tell me what you got for your guests?