WineBoard
2001 Mas de Gouronnier - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rhone/South of France/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Mas de Gouronnier (/thread-11263.html)

- TheEngineer - 12-25-2004

2001 Mas de Gouronnier (Reserva), I had this one at dinner tonight with a few of my wifes female friends. They all like wine and they liked this one.

The nose is just great, full of fruits and flowers. I could just take in gulps of air at a time and be happy. Lighter in color, I was actually disappointed when I put this in my mouth. The nose gave way quickly to a very light wine with a hint pepper and with light tannins. Light to medium body. None of the fruits at least to me could be found. After the initial let down though, the wine settled in and became pleasant drinking. The varietal is a Mourvedre (sp?). Nice easy non-complicated drinking...perhaps the nose itself was a sufficient reason for entry.

Said to be one of the three best years that the owner has every had. This is also a fully organic wine and has been for over 20 years.

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 12-24-2004).]

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 12-30-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 12-26-2004

There are a few versions of this wine. There's the regular cuvee, which has Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault and Carignan in addition to the Mourvedre. Then there's the Reserve which is Cab Sauv, Grenache and Syrah. Lastly, there's the Rose with all the same varieties as the regular cuvee.

- TheEngineer - 12-26-2004

KC,

Thanks for the information. Believe it or not, I was up until 3:00 am looking on line for it because I know that there were something like four types in the mix. Do you know this one? I was told that there was 10 grapes in this mix

Mas de Daumas Gassac?

- Kcwhippet - 12-27-2004

The Mas de Daumas Gassac must be a very interesting wine. I haven't had one yet, but there's a debate going on in the shop about whether we should carry it. The pros say it's a wonderful Languedoc wine that tastes very much like a Lafite or a Latour. The cons say yes, BUT it tastes great for maybe 3 or 4 years then it closes down for another 6 to 10 years before it shines again. Who's going to buy that in these times of instant gratification. If we get it, I'll try it, otherwise not. Anyway, the mix of grapes is really weird. It's usually about 80% Cab Sauv with - are you ready for this - Malbec, Merlot, Cab Franc, Syrah, Tannat, Pinot Noir, Nebbiolo, Grenache, Tempranillo, Voskihat, Kontorni, Salte, and a few Georgian grapes.

BTW, you left a "g" out of the first wine's name - it's Mas de Gourgonnier. Could be why you couldn't find it.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 12-26-2004).]

- TheEngineer - 12-27-2004

KC,

Thanks for the answer! Wow, you are a fountain of information! I've got a few bottles of this so I will try it young and wait for a while again before I open the rest up.

That is a tremendous number of grape types! H01y....how does their wine maker keep track of them all!

Anyone looking to complete the Wine Grapes Century could do well just to have this wine cuz it will account for 12% of the grape types alone!

Thanks for catching the spelling mistake.....imagine 8 years of French classes and still I can't spell.

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 12-27-2004).]

- Thomas - 12-27-2004

Engineer, scores of Americans with college degrees can't spell in English...don't feel so bad. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 12-27-2004

Definitely not trying to put anyone down. It's just hard to find something on the net if a keyword is mispelled. I know that for a fact, myself.

- TheEngineer - 12-27-2004

Yep..found it on the net. Wonders never cease when words are spelled right.

Nonetheless, you provided me with more information than I was still able to get off the net so many thanks again for all your troubles!

- winoweenie - 12-28-2004

Take my tipin'101 course to eradicate them problems TE. WW

- Thraz - 01-10-2005

I am curious about the Daumas Gassac. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. My local store has the 2001 for $28. Is it a good price? Has anybody here had it? KC Whippet, from your comment it sounds like it might already be in its sleeping phase? Thanks.

- TheEngineer - 01-10-2005

Yeap, that's what I got it for in my local area, but mine are the 1999's. I've not opened any up and would love to hear what people think of it.

If it is already in its sleepy phase (as Kc notes below), then it will be a long time indeed before we can open this one up....

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 01-10-2005).]

- Kcwhippet - 01-10-2005

Have no clue as to its current phase - haven't had it yet. By all accounts based on its past history, it's probably in its sleep phase.

- TheEngineer - 04-02-2005

I've had a few of these between the first posting and now. This bottle is the first one that is substantially different than the others which were very consistent with the original note.

Nose was tight and missing the floral fruit sense that characterized this for me. A first sip showed only the strucure of the wine and very little of the fruit. After decanting for about an hour, the fruit started to come back it the wine appears to be much different, much deeper and fuller, alcohol note seemed to be more noticeable at the end (even though its only 12%). It's even got a bit of a chocolate note at midpalate now. I'll have the rest of the bottle tomorrow and sample this again in another few months.

To be honest, I prefer it this way, more full and mouth filling, more like a southern France wine.

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 04-02-2005).]