WineBoard
2003 Wolfer Goldgrube Riesling Spatlese - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: 2003 Wolfer Goldgrube Riesling Spatlese (/thread-11096.html)

- TheEngineer - 12-26-2004

One word....WOW....

I'm not really a white wine person but this one really deserves attention.

I do not know how easy it is to find but it is worth it. Not expensive at $24, it is better than any Dr. Loosen product that I have tried upwards of $70.

A really nice nose but it is the wine's balance that really impresses. You know that there is a sweetness there and that there is acidity, but both are subtle and both are very balanced. It is a slender wine and there is a bit of carbonation due to the fact that it was young.

We opened up a few Dr Loosen 2003 Riesling Kabinetts and Auslese and neither could match up despite being pretty good in and of themselves.

If you are a riesling fan, I would highly recommend this one. I know that there are not a lot shipped but it is very much worth the effort.

- wondersofwine - 12-28-2004

Where did you purchase this? I would like to find some.

- TheEngineer - 12-28-2004

I'll get this information to you tonight. I purchase it from a local winery called Lower Falls Wine Company in Newton Massachusetts. However, I think that I have the importer's name as well on the case that I purchase. I'll enter that information tonight.

- TheEngineer - 12-28-2004

The importer on the case was a company by the very strange name (at least to me) Vineyard Research Lunenburg MA.

Hope this helps.

- Kcwhippet - 12-29-2004

Who's the producer, TE? The wine comes from the Goldgrube vineyard in the town of Wolf, but who actually makes the wine? The name is somewhere on the label.

- TheEngineer - 12-29-2004

Oops...same mistake twice.

There maker's name is Daniel Vollenweider....in German, Weingut Vollenweider

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 12-29-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 12-29-2004

Thanks, Engineer. I'll see if I can track it down in North Carolina with the name of the importer.

- Kcwhippet - 12-29-2004

There are actually a number of importers around the country for this winery. You'll probably find a different one down in your part of the country, WoW. BTW, he's been around awhile working for others. The most notable to those with an eye to domestic wines may know him when he worked for Ernst Loosen making the Eroica with Ch. St. Michelle.

- TheEngineer - 01-16-2005

Popped what is now the third bottle of this kind. Still supper nice. Some of the carbonation is still there bit it seemed less vigorous. The nose still very nice. Just got another box so hopefully, they will continue to develop nicely.

- TheEngineer - 06-13-2005

Still developing nicely....not much change...d@mn...wondering at this pace, if there will be anything left to age......