WineBoard
2003 Dr Loosen Riesling Auslese 1/2 bottle - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: 2003 Dr Loosen Riesling Auslese 1/2 bottle (/thread-10965.html)

- TheEngineer - 12-23-2004

This wine come in 375 mL bottles. The sales staff told me that apparently Dr Loosen had much grapes selected for Auslese and decided to use the bottle size to help out with the additional product.

The nose is not its strong point though there is a strong mineral sense (although I did have the bottle open for about 2 hours before I was able to get back to it..the dreaded "honey-can-you-please" requests took a bit longer than expected). The wine is fresh and very much a young Riesling. It had a nice carbination and a generally higher level of acidity than I had expected, makes for a great lunch drink. It was pretty slender. I only had a glass before I was pulled away for more "honey can you please.." requests....friends polished off the rest of the small bottle before I got back this time. Price was about $17 for the half bottle.

Funny, all 2003 rieslings that I've had had a stronger mineral sense than I expected from a hot season. It's pleasant but just unexpected I guess.

- TheEngineer - 12-29-2004

I opened up a second bottle of this tonight and it was much better. I don't think that it was the variation in the bottle as much as it was the variation in my day. The bottle did not sit around waiting for me.

Much nicer nose with raisins, lychee, lemon and other stuff I'm sure. Nice light hey colour. Initial taste is that of a sweet wine, some minerals at the midpoint and then it turns to a bit of a drier finish. The finish is long with a definite amount of acid. Good structure and I think that this one could sit for a while.

- joeyz6 - 12-29-2004

Where exactly is this Riesling from? My familiarity with Dr. Loosen is only cursory -- are all of his wines from the same locale? I assume it's a M-S-R wine...

- TheEngineer - 12-30-2004

Dr Loosen’s estate is called Bernkasteler (in M-S-R) and he has six vineyards within his estate.

Ürziger Würzgarten (The Spice Garden of Ürzig)
Erdener Prälat
Erdener Treppchen
Wehlener Sonnenuhr (The Sundial of Wehlen)
Bernkasteler Lay (The Slote of Bernkatel)
Graacher Himmelreich (The Kingdom of Heaven)

I think the first four are categorized as Grand and the last two are premiers.

- joeyz6 - 12-30-2004

Good info, thanks Engineer.

- Innkeeper - 12-31-2004

"He has six vineyards." He may have, and I have not been there. Most vineyards in Germany that I have visited have rows in them with names of various wineries posted at the end of them. Some of wineries have two, three, or even a dozen rows. Am sure they exist, but have never seen an entire vineyard owned by one producer.

- TheEngineer - 12-31-2004

IK,

Thanks for the correction. You are right, I know that in the case of wehlener Sonnernuhr, at leas Dr Loosen, Kerpen, Joh. Jos Plum and Leitz share them (cuz I got bottles with labels that denote the vineyard). Sorry to imply that Dr. L owns the entire vineyard.

Mike

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 12-31-2004).]

- TheEngineer - 03-04-2005

Found a case of this tonight so opened up another bottle and it is still nice.

Foodie, I think I understand now what you were talking about with respect to emotions having an impact on taste so I watched that a bit tonight. I guess that when you are an engineer, you do pride yourself a bit in that try to be very pragmatic, calm and deliberate, never to let emotions take over, but then again, we are all human....

Same notes this time, nice nose with apriocot, lychee, and lemon with nice slately mineral sense. Nice light hey colour with still some effervesence. Long finish leaning towards a dry ending with good balance. $17.99 for half bottle.

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 03-05-2005).]

- Thomas - 03-05-2005

If you can, keep some of that wine over the years. Watch how the petroleum aroma develops, or should develop.

- Kcwhippet - 03-05-2005

I don't know how I missed this.

Engineer, If you haven't found out by now, the names of the wines tell where they're from, in the case of the six vineyards you mentioned. The first part is the town name, and the second is the vineyard. You add an "er" to make the town name and adjective. So, Erdener Treppchen is the Trepchen vineyard from the town/village/hamlet of Erden.

- TheEngineer - 03-05-2005

KC You've trumped me on this one! I've always been an advocate of self discovery for learning much like you did in this case.

I did know about this but only because I had read about it so it is a much lower form of knowledge gathering! Still...wine was good! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 03-05-2005

Oh, and by the way, Ernst Loosen was just named as Man of the Year by Decanter.

- TheEngineer - 06-05-2005

Glad I got a couple of cases....This bottle was paired with some Japanese curry tonight and it's just strong enough to make sure the curry (which tends to be mild when compared with things from India) did not over power it. High sweetness helped.....and it let me get over my Messmer Pinot Noir Auslese desires tonight. Got less of those and they've got to last a few years..............good luck...

- TheEngineer - 10-10-2005

Hadn't had one in a few months [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] hard to lay off these guys.

Not much change though mouth feels seems to be smoother than last time and it now has a very nice long finish and persistence. Maybe it is because of the temperature that I'm serving it at (close to 50 versus chilled a bit more).

I've got to hide a few somewhere away from me. BTW, it looks like it has an engineered cork (smooth on the side). Does that mean I should consume within a short period of time? First time I've looked at it.

- TheEngineer - 07-15-2006

Due to the heat (or what passes for heat around these parts....mostly humidity...), thought I would open up one of these after dinner instead of a rose.

It's been a while since the last bottle and this time the change was noticeable. A hint of petrol but it was the fruit that was much more subdued now. A bit less fat than before made the minerality that much more front and center, hanging around after the midpalate. I'm sure it will be fun to watch this one change move over the years,...if I leave enough alone.

- TheEngineer - 11-15-2007

Solid still, very lush and not much change from last time. A more subdued wine than when it came out initially.

- TheEngineer - 08-06-2009

Wine appears to be more muted now than what my last notes indicated. Still very lush but definitely appears to be more closed than before. Given how long it stayed at the drinkable level, I'll try this again in a year or so as I don't expect it to come back just like that.