WineBoard
First Riesling - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: First Riesling (/thread-10922.html)

- mrdutton - 05-03-2000

And will not be my last. Up until Easter, I am ashamed to say, I have never tasted a Riesling.

I served Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Riesling Kabinett, 1996 Ockfener Bockstein (J.H. Wagner, Saarburg) with dinner. What a wonderful wine! It paired very nicely with the Pork Tenderloin Normande, Risotto Primavera, and the curried fruit (apples & pears).

The wine melded together with the dinner quite nicely. It was crisp and fruity but not overly bold, probably due to the low alcohol content of 8%.

As soon as some room opens up in my wine rack, I shall be stocking more Riesling, that is for sure.

First, though, I have to find a way of getting rid of the over-oaked cali chardonnay that is taking up space.

- Bucko - 05-03-2000

Welcome to the world of German Rieslings, probably the most versatile food wine in the world.

Bucko

- hotwine - 05-03-2000

Welcome indeed! Odds are now that you will keep a supply in reserve as an alternative wine for serving with virtually any white meat dish that appears on your menu.

A suggestion for that over-oaked chardonnay that's taking up space on your rack: try mixing it with an Italian dressing, like Newman's Own, and use it on green salads. I've also used unwanted wines as "white elephant" gifts at parties; the recipients usually perk up when they see they've drawn a bottle of wine. It's only later that they realize the stuff was given away for a reason!

- winecollector - 05-03-2000

I must agree that unwanted wines make great gifts, and the older they are the better! Most people associate older wine as expensive wine, regardless of who's on the label and what's in the bottle.

Incidently, found the 98' Schmitt-Sohne Riesling Mosel-Sahr-Ruwer today that Hotwine recommended on another post. I think I'll make that one of my victim's this weekend.

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 05-03-2000).]

- hotwine - 05-03-2000

An excellent plan, Winecollector! But please chill that MSR thoroughly to about 45 degrees. It tastes very ordinary at anything approaching room temperature. And although Mrdutton was able to enjoy it as a sipping wine (without food), I honestly don't care for it that way - it needs fish, pork or fowl to show its full flavors. It's really superb with smoked turkey; for that reason, it's our traditional Thanksgiving dinner wine.
<Off to the winebox to retrieve a bottle for dinner. Life is good.>

- mrdutton - 05-03-2000

And although Mrdutton was able to enjoy it as a sipping wine (without food), I honestly don't care for it that way - it needs fish, pork or fowl to show its full flavors.
---------------------------------------------

Hotwine you confuse my posts. The MSR was drunk with a meal. See above: Pork Normande.

My "other post" on the New Zealand Riesling with the higher alcohol content was quaffed without food. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

Excuse me, I did not quaff the post. I drank the wine without food and I described all that in my other post........... GRIN

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-03-2000).]

- hotwine - 05-03-2000

Ah, good. Thanks for setting me straight.
Hmm. I'm trying to remember Rieslings I've enjoyed as sipping wines; Rheingau in Wiesbaden and Mainz in the '70's, and really nice Mosels at Bernkastel in the mid-80's. Have no memory as to who produced any of them.

<Dinner was excellent, BTW: roast chicken with garlic and onions, new potatoes, carrots, French bread and the MSR. The wine was ice cold, with the tartness of a fresh apple and a hint of lemon.>

- Thomas - 05-04-2000

And when someone says to you, "you cannot match salad with vinegar to wine," try a semi-dry Riesling or an Auslese to show that person up!