WineBoard
2000 Kendall-Jackson Vintners' Reserve Riesling, California - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Kendall-Jackson Vintners' Reserve Riesling, California (/thread-10893.html)

- wondersofwine - 08-11-2004

Out of curiosity I had picked up this wine at the grocery store.
11% alcohol.
Pretty, clear, medium gold color.
Nose expressive of peaches and nectarines with glimmers of same in the flavors. Despite the fruitiness, comes off as just off-dry. With all the knocks I hear about K-J, I was prepared to be disappointed. In reality, I kind of like the wine, but I'm used to German Riesling wines and find this almost "un-Riesling-like" because it's not what I'm used to. Still, a better-than-average grocery store white wine. I may not purchase it again, but I would not refuse it if offered at a social gathering.

Foodie asked the price. I paid $12.99 at the grocery store.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-18-2004).]

- winoweenie - 08-11-2004

Yes there WOW but you have immaculate manners. WW

- Thomas - 08-12-2004

Price?

- wondersofwine - 08-12-2004

On the price, I will check tonight and get back to you.

- sblue - 08-12-2004

This may be the wrong place to post, but I have recently tried riesling for the first time. I thought I wouldn't like any whites but was surprised. I tried the Chateau Ste. Michelle, don't remember the vintage. Is this a typical Riesling? Could someone let me know if the KJ is similar, I know that my grocer has this one. Thanks for any help.

- wondersofwine - 08-12-2004

Sblue, welcome to the board!
It's been awhile since I've had the Chateau
Ste. Michelle Riesling but I would say it's probably better than the Kendall-Jackson (cooler growing climate which is good for the Riesling grape). You might also try Columbia Winery Cellarmaster Riesling if you don't object to some residual sugar. It's popular with a lot of people just getting into drinking wine. But also look for a nice German Riesling in a wine shop (grocery store selection is sometimes limited to broad geographic areas and not the best quality). You might be surprised at how enjoyable a German Riesling Kabinett, Spatlese or Auslese is (my favorite areas are the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer and Rheingau but Nahe, Pfalz and Rheinhessen also produce some good Rieslings). The Riesling grape is also food-friendly whether it's a Kabinett or Spatlese with chicken, veal, pork or a Spatlese or Auslese with cake, fruit pie, or other sweet dessert. Good, drinkable German Rieslings can be found in the USA for less than $20 a bottle (sometimes $10-$12) which makes them quite a bargain as well.

- sblue - 08-13-2004

Thanks Wonders. I've not had much luck finding German wines in the grocery store, but there's a little shop that carries labels that are not big names. I've been reading these boards for over two years now and have gotten some GREAT advice. Up until now, I've only been interested in reds. This Reisling seems so much lighter. It was refreshing to drink something cool that I could actually walk outside with. It's quite warm in these parts.

- wondersofwine - 08-13-2004

Riesling wines also tend to be lower in alcohol (7.5-11%) rather than around 14-15% in many California Zinfandels, etc.