WineBoard
1990 Pol Roger - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Champagne/Sparkling Wine (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: 1990 Pol Roger (/thread-10826.html)

- barnesy - 07-09-2001

One of the stores on my route, Fred Meyers, has a 1990 Pol Roger Brut (plain white label) for $43. I looked on winesearcher and this seems to be at the low end of the spectrum for price. I checked some vintage charts and it seems that 1990 was a pretty good year and that it should be at its peak. Anyone had any experiance with this one? Think its a good deal? It has been stored upright, but isn't cork taint less of a problem with sparklers because the effervesence keeps the cork wet? Also, its been at room temp for probably most of its life. I did like the Pol Roger NV. And the best I can find it at around here is $35.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Barnesy

- Bucko - 07-10-2001

Pol Roger Brut has always been one of my favorite drinks, good stuff. I can usually find it for $38-40.

- Thomas - 07-10-2001

Barnsey, that sounds like a good buy--grab it.

Incidentally, cork taint has nothing to do with the way a wine is stored. Cork taint is a bacterial infection.

- ddf68 - 07-10-2001

Barnesy, upright storage is supposedly not a problem for sparkling wines. Also, Champagne, especially vintage champagne, tends to be released later than still wines, so the 1990 has not been in the distribution chain as long as, say, a 1990 Bordeaux.

In my limited experience, 1990 was a terrific vintage for Champagne.

Let me know how it turns out. My wife and I received a bottle of this as a congratulatory gift on the birth of our son. She's still recuperating so we haven't opened it yet.

ddf

- tomstevenson - 07-13-2001

To quote the 2001 edition of my Champagne & Sparkling Wine Guide, in which PR90
scored 96 points "I see this has edged up one point in my tasting, which I put down to the more recent disgorgement. The earliest disgorgement was tremendous, but some of the releases in between have not matured cleanly. This, however, is extraordinary quality even by Pol Roger's exalted standards. Optimum drinking: Now-2020"

So, unless your bottle came from one of the botched releases, which should be gone from the regular distribution system, you ought to have a stunning Champagne. However, if you see any PR90 at ridiculously cheap prices, I'd advise you steer clear, as not all the duff bottles made it back to Epernay, so someone will be trying to offload it. If any retailer reading this thread has out-of-condition PR90 simply return it. PR is aware of the problem.

Tom

- Botafogo - 07-13-2001

Tom, great to hear from you (this is Roberto from WINE EXPO in Santa Monica Ca) but something you need to know is that it is ILLEGAL to return wine up the supply chain in most states after a very brief period of time (typically 15 days). We are still barbarians here in the colonies you know.....

Cheers, Roberto

- Thomas - 07-13-2001

Tom is Baaack! Welcome home, and fear not us Barbarians.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-13-2001).]

- tomstevenson - 07-15-2001

Hi Roberto, Hi Foodie

Nice to be back. I can only manage it in dribs and drabs, and coping with the aftermath of a flood - our second in less than two years - has rather stretched my ability to keep to deadlines, let alone recreational activities like the Wine Board.

Didn't now you could not return faulty wine. That's so unbelievable I hardly know what to say! So, even though the producer knows there was a problem - limited though it was - and is willing to authorise a swap, it's not legal? Next you'll be telling me that a presidential candidate doesn't have to have a majority to be elected.

Tom

- Botafogo - 07-15-2001

Tom, after the devestating Northridge Earthquake in January of 1994, the local beverage authorities got out a letter by fax in about five hours (while the fires were still burning) reminding retailers and restaurants that tied house laws prevented our vendors from offering "any assistance" defined as but not limited to "replacement of product, refinancing of inventory or providing labor above or beyond resetting existing displays". Wonderful people, you should invite them over for a drink.....of hemlock!!!!!!

PS: we lost 75% of our inventory that morning, Roberto

- tomstevenson - 07-17-2001

Funny old world, but absolutely bizarre in places. I saw a documentry following one of your earthquakes in which it showed the location of most emergency service dotted along the San Andreas fault. Apparently public services buildings are there because the land is cheaper, but when the next real big one comes, all the emergency services will be swallowed up! Tell me it's not true.
Tom

- barnesy - 07-31-2001

Opened this up for the wife on our first anniverary. Wonderful stuff(both the wifey and the wine). Smooth, creamy, elegant. Not much else for notes. Polished off 3/4 of a bottle of spatlese prior to opening the champagne. Plus the event really didn't dictate taking notes.

On a side note, I will never cease to be amazed by german riesling. 1996 Dr Loosen Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Spatlese. My wife liked it with her grilled halibut. I liked it with the pork medallions with scallions and sweet cherries over barley. German riesling will go with just about anything!

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 08-01-2001

Amen.