WineBoard
2003 Bodegas Numanthia-Termes Toro Termes - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: 2003 Bodegas Numanthia-Termes Toro Termes (/thread-10567.html)

- dananne - 09-10-2005

This is the bottom of a three-tier line from Numanthia, with the Toro being next up, and the Numanthia at the top. Prices rise accordingly, as well, with this one running about $23.

An opaque purple-red in color, it sat in decanter for 30 minutes before 1st pour and throughout evening, but that wasn't long enough for this thing to show much past the formidable tannins at this stage. I knew it was too early to pop it, but I wanted to try it when it's still on the shelves to see if I should buy a few to lay down awhile. However, that plan was faulty in that it was almost too difficult to get a feel for how it'll develop. There were some dark fruits in there somewhere, some plummy flavors, dark chocolate, a touch of vanilla on the finish. Still, it was tough to see the forest through the tannin trees, as it were. 100% Tinta de Toro (Tempranillo) from 30-yr old ungrafted vines. Alc. 14.5%.

- AlpineOeno - 09-10-2005

This is one of the best modern producers in Spain. I have followed them since their inception in 1998. The 2003 will definitely be worth it, although you are correct in your assessment of how tight it tends to be in youth. Just a note though.....There are three wines form this producer, but Toro is actually the viticultural region where the producer comes from. Termes is their first level, their middle (and primary) wine is self named as Numanthia, and their fabled wine is Termanthia. Termanthia is made from 130+ year old, pre-phyloxera vines. A good wine if you are in the market for a $150-250 bottle.

- dananne - 09-11-2005

Actually, I knew the levels of Numanthia, but have nothing to explain the brain freeze other than bad college football karma yesterday.

I, too, have been following them since I first tried their '99 Termes. I have the Numanthias from 2001 and 2002, but the Termanthia is, alas, out of my range -- plus, I haven't seen it anywhere in these parts.

I will likely pick a few more up to see how they progress, but won't likely pop another for at least 5 years.

- Capocheny - 09-11-2005

Hi Dananne,

I have to agree that this producer makes a great wine and I wouldn't expect it to "be there" yet for another few years. I've also made the effort to ensure a small suppy of each of their wines dating back to the 98 vintage.

Having said that... we cracked a bottle of the 2001 Remirez de Ganuza Trasnocho last evening. Had it with a beautiful Pork Tenderloin with a port reduction... absolutely delicious and, surprisingly, it wasn't terribly tannic.

If anyone knows where I can pick up more bottles of this wine... please let me know. It's simply delicious!

So many wines... so little time!

Cheers

- Thomas - 09-11-2005

Ah well, these wines taste to me like they could have been produced in California or Australia or Chile or--I suppose--Spain.

Not that they are inferior, just that I'd rather taste personal character in my wines and not sweeping similarities from region to region to country to country...

But that's my taste. Each to his own.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 09-11-2005).]

- bcaln1 - 10-15-2005

This wine needs four or five years in the bottle, or decanting for several hours. I decanted it for three hours and put it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so. It's a gorgeous, big wine, and reminded me somewhat of a 1990 Guigal Brunne Et Blonde Cote-Rotie (sp?) that I had several years ago. For a wine in the $20 range it's a must no brainer and a must buy.

- Thomas - 10-15-2005

"...reminded me somewhat of a 1990 Guigal Brunne Et Blonde Cote-Rotie..."

My point exactly!