WineBoard
2001 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Vinas Viejas - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Vinas Viejas (/thread-10545.html)

- dananne - 03-18-2004

Garnacha

My local Whole Foods wine guy gave me a bottle on Monday to try it, as they only had a limited amount of cases available, and somebody had grabbed 7 cases earlier that day! He told me to try it and get back to him in case I wanted him to pull some off the floor. Monday evening I e-mailed him to hold a case before even finishing my first glass!

What a wonderful wine! It's nose is succulent and juicy with red fruits galore, and there is a floral element. Velvety in the mouth, with layers upon layers of cherry, red plum, and strawberry elements, with a subtle spicy streak and a lingering finish that leaves the saliva pouring from your mouth. A bit of earth on the finish, and just a fun wine to drink. Light, very fine tannins hold it together, but this is a "feel free to drink now" wine for sure. A touch of the 14% alc. is present on the finish, but does not detract from the wine. With the case purchase, it'll come in at about $11 a bottle. So very good. I can't wait to try the next bottle when I pick it up from the store tomorrow! Strongly recommend this one!

- winoweenie - 03-19-2004

Sounds super. One of my close friends lives in Dunwitty.He's a wine-lover and Foodie. Since I quit going to Dalton I haven't seen him or his lovely wife for 6-7 years.WW

- dananne - 03-19-2004

Yeah, it was super -- easiest case buy decision I've ever made.

So, it's been 6-7 years since you were last in Hotlanta? That's about the time I got here -- much has changed. I don't get to Dunwoody all that often, though I play soccer up there. You've mentioned Dalton before -- are you in the industry for which Dalton is known?

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 03-20-2004).]

- dananne - 04-03-2004

Popped another last night, but this time I decanted about 30-40 minutes before pouring. Still gobs of succulent fruit (I'm calling it my "Goblin Market" wine, but the reference is probably lost on most everyone but English lit majors), and my wife says that it's the juiciest wine she's ever tried, but a floral element emerged with the decanting. Just lovely, and the wine disappeared frighteningly fast. I should have bought multiple cases, as this is going to be very hard to keep my grubby little hands away from when I venture near the cellar. I think Anne is going to hide some of the bottles in the "way back."

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 04-03-2004).]

- winoweenie - 04-03-2004

Missed your post Dananne. See my post to Calgirl in the Rants thread today. WW

- thewoodman - 04-03-2004

Glad to see your post. I ordered a case on the recommendation of Wine Exchange. They have it at $6.99.

- Kcwhippet - 04-03-2004

Wood, Are you sure you got the 01 Vinas Viejas? We stock the regular Las Rocas, 2002 version at $6.99.

- thewoodman - 04-03-2004

Probably 02. I'll have to double check. Either way, I've rarely gone wrong with Winex picks.

- dananne - 06-02-2004

After tearing through another 2 bottles of this over the weekend, I'm realizing not only that my self-restraint leaves much to be desired, but also that my much-depleted case isn't going to last the year. This stuff flew out of Hotlanta, and seems to be snatched up on the various web sites I've searched. Anyone seen any of this around in your parts, or should I just pursue some of the '02 and wait until the next vintage of the Vinas Viejas comes out?

- quijote - 07-12-2004

Dananne, I'm still getting caught up on posts, even as I prepare for two more months of little trips that promise to wear me out and keep me behind on many things....

But as luck would have it, I purchased several bottles of this very wine in Milwaukee about a month or so ago. Ever been to Ray's Liquors on North Ave. and 88th? When I was there they had several cases of this stuff.

I'm in Buffalo now, and my return to Milwaukee is undetermined, so unfortunately I can't snag a case for you. I will return near the end of the month, though, somewhere between the 20th and 27th.

I only had one bottle before I left the city, but I agree that it's a really delicious wine. I've looked for it in Buffalo, but even Premier doesn't have it. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img]

- dananne - 07-14-2004

Thanks for the heads-up! I've got family near Milwaukee, and I'll have them look into it. I won't be up there until the fall.

- quijote - 07-14-2004

If you need me to buy and set aside some for you, let me know. I'll be there in a couple of weeks, and I can keep the bottles in storage.

- dananne - 07-15-2004

That's a very nice offer -- thank you!

I should be able to have my brother make the trip over from Lake Geneva next weekend, but if he can't do it, I'll let you know.

Again, thanks!

- quijote - 07-15-2004

Not a problem, just let me know. If your brother does it, he should call the store to make sure they're still in stock: 414-258-9821.