WineBoard
2003 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: 2003 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha (/thread-10502.html)

- dananne - 04-15-2005

The '01 Vinas Viejas (Old Vines) from Las Rocas blew me away, and the P/Q ratio made it even more of a favorite of mine. This is the plain 'ole Garnacha from the '03 vintage.

Color was a deep reddish-purple, and carried a nose of black fruits with a touch of heat, probably as it was opened a bit too close to cellar temp (it died down after warming up a bit more). Earthy black fruits on the palate, and a touch of dustiness on the back end. Still juicy and supple, with nice earth influences, but not up to par with my old favoite from '01. Still a nice P/Q wine, and should be a no-brainer for BBQ this summer. Alc. 14%. Overpaid at $12 at the local Whole Foods, though it should be closer to $7 elsewhere (Roberto's got it at $6.99 at his shop).

- TheEngineer - 04-15-2005

I was worried that in the 3rd year that quality would drop off. The 2002's drank very well as well.

Oh well. Got one case of the 2002's left.

- dananne - 08-26-2005

OK, the last two bottles I've had have each been significantly better than the last, so this one's improving nicely. Tonight's was lip smackin' good. Yummy stuff. Also a tip -- try it with some dark chocolate. Trust me.

I'm going to pick up another half case.

- TheEngineer - 08-26-2005

Done deal! I notice some in KC's store.

- dananne - 03-04-2006

Still yummy, and still can hold for a few years if you're so inclined to do it with an $8 wine. The last few bottles have thrown considerable sediment, so be careful unless you enjoy a gritty crunchiness in the last glass [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- brappy - 03-04-2006

Had 1.5 cases of this great juice over last summer and fall. Can't wait to try the new vintage. I should be tasting this in the next couple of months with the importer. I'll keep you updated.

- dananne - 03-04-2006

Thanks. Any thoughts on the old vines bottling? We tried one of the '03s a while back, but it didn't seem up to the level of the '01 and it needed time, so we've been sitting on the rest since then.

- brappy - 03-05-2006

Bear with me, it's the end of the week and the end of a 15 hour day. I don't really believe these wines are for aging. Even the old vines. As much as I love these, thier structure is a bit weak. I don't have any of the '01s left for just that reason. But..... I'd love to hear how they are doing. I guess I loved the wine young and therefore enjoyed them as such. I'd love to hear I was wrong (by not saving any) and these babies will be singing soon. Sorry I can't answer your question. Please..... let me know what you think the next time you taste.

mark

PS I'll talk to Eric as soon as i see him and find out what he thinks. Maybe that will help.

- dananne - 01-27-2007

OK, so I've given the '03 incarnation of the Vinas Viejas a bit of time, but it is nowhere near the level of the '01. I've still got a few bottles of the '01 left, and while that one keeps on keepin' on, the '03 is either not coming together or is falling apart -- I can't decide which. The regular '03 Garnacha is superior, IMHO.

I've recently started seeing the '04 Vinas Viejas on the shelf. Anyone tried it yet?

- brappy - 01-28-2007

Yes, Tons of fruit in the regular bottling. Although one dimensional, is a great drink. The Old Vines is not much different than the regular.

On to the '05s which should be released soon. Tasted those yesterday. The regular bottling should be released sometime in March and the old vines in September or somewhere near that date. The old vines is pretty spectacular but certainly needs more bottle age. If You're a lover of 100% Garnacha, then for the price, it's hard to do better. Although for the '05s, I suggest the old vines.

I have to admit my palate is changing somewhat. I love grenache but anymore enjoy it in a blend moreso. Even if the grenache is the majority grape, I just want a little more complexity....... Something more to think about. Just a thought...

mark

- dananne - 01-28-2007

Thanks for the update on the '04s and '05s.

As for Grenache as a stand-alone variety, other than the old vines Spanish stuff, I drink very little. Looking through my cellar records, out of about 350 bottles, I only have the following stand-alone Grenache: 1 bottle of Tir Na Nog's old vines from McLaren Vale, 1 bottle from Garretson (Cali), and 1 bottle of Grenache from Abacela (Oregon). The Spaniards are great QPRs and have a unique personality with it, so it works for them. Otherwise, I generally prefer it as a blending grape, particularly in CdP.

- dananne - 02-25-2008

After reading Mark's take on the '05s, I've been patiently waiting to find it down here. Anne and I had the '05 Vinas Viejas (old vines) on Friday night as a second bottle, following a tasty '97 Stags Leap Petite Sirah. Deep, tongue-and-teeth-staining purple in color, with aromas of dark fruits, chocolate, and brambly earth. Huge, just enormous fruit flavors that just coated the mouth. While it's a bit like a gigantic Aussie fruit bomb at this stage, there are some tannins to hold it together, as well as an earthy minerality that I fail to get in the Aussie stuff. Chocolate and spices on the finish. Just scrumptious. Waaaaaay more fun than one would expect from a $14 wine purchased from the local Kroger, and the tannins suggest that this one will certainly cellar in the near-term. Much better than the '03 (which continue to fall apart, perhaps from the hot vintage producing overripe fruit), and I'll have to open one of my leftover '01s to see how it compares to one of my all-time faves for QPR. Certainly, it's a "buy again" wine, and Anne has dictated a case purchase. She absolutely loved it. 14.5% alc. Again, yum.

- TheEngineer - 02-26-2008

I saw some '05 special blends for Whole Foods a little while ago. They were on sale for $12.99. I should pick one up to see what WholeFoods has requested for a blend and characteristics.